Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why no "I Just Can't Help Believin'" in TTWII Spec

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:01 pm

This may have been discussed before I don't know. I just can't help wonderin?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:30 pm

Songs were left out because the publishing companies demanded big $$$ for them. Not sure was that the case with that song though as it is heard on the dvd menu.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:47 pm

If I remember right, Rick Schmidlin reckoned he omitted it for artistic reasons...........

It wasn't filmed in quite the same way as the other songs and didn't fit in with his vision.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:14 pm

ColinB wrote:If I remember right, Rick Schmidlin reckoned he omitted it for artistic reasons...........

It wasn't filmed in quite the same way as the other songs and didn't fit in with his vision.

I believe Bridge was another neglected for 'artistic' reasons, rather than copyright reasons.

I can only assume that he developed that 'vision' while wearing dark glasses and a bag over his head 8)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:23 pm

The biggest mistake they made was when the SE was released in the US.They showed the SE version a day BEFORE the DVD was released.They also had the 4'missing' songs, with different camera angles, shown after the TV release.
That killed the DVD sales.
What people in their right mind would put the film on TV with the 4 missing songs which was missing from the DVD??

These sort of people get paid thousands to come up with a brainwave like that. :roll:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:19 pm

51 Reissue wrote:This may have been discussed before I don't know. I just can't help wonderin?

The "Search" button will yield multiple posts (some as recent as this year) if you plug in "TTWII"... :wink:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:33 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:The biggest mistake they made was when the SE was released in the US.They showed the SE version a day BEFORE the DVD was released.They also had the 4'missing' songs, with different camera angles, shown after the TV release.
That killed the DVD sales.
What people in their right mind would put the film on TV with the 4 missing songs which was missing from the DVD??

These sort of people get paid thousands to come up with a brainwave like that. :roll:

To be fair to Turner, they had a really good release lined up, with not only the 4 'missing' songs, but a whole hour of 'extras' !

They even had the sleeves printed.

But, at the 11th hour, their bosses [Warner] ordered the extras be left off !

The silliest marketing decision in the history of Elvis releases.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:41 pm

does someone knows the list of songs on the encore dvd that never came out??
Ale

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:52 pm

ColinB wrote:If I remember right, Rick Schmidlin reckoned he omitted it for artistic reasons...........

You mean about last month's posts on this very subject? :lol:

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:11 am

At the end of the move there are 3 or 4 extra songs and this is one of them on there :D

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:47 am

To be fair to Turner, they had a really good release lined up, with not only the 4 'missing' songs, but a whole hour of 'extras' !

Turner aired the extra hour during their broadcast premiere. The publishing issues had been worked out, the project was approved and new version of the film created with the bonus hour of footage planned and approved. The actual DVD release was a joke and lost opportunity.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:09 am

I was so friggin' PIZZED when I saw what they had done to this release that I just gave it away.........rather than throw it out.

Still makes me furious....... :evil:

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:12 am

midnightx wrote:

Turner aired the extra hour during their broadcast premiere. The publishing issues had been worked out, the project was approved and new version of the film created with the bonus hour of footage planned and approved. The actual DVD release was a joke and lost opportunity.

midnightx -
I watched and recorded the broadcast premier, and there was no extra hour. Only 4 performances from the original film: I Just Can't Help Believin'; I've Lost You; Sweet Caroline; Bridge Over Troubled Water. These extras probably took up 15 minutes tops.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:35 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

You mean about last month's posts on this very subject? :lol:

Oh, I wouldn't claim to be able to recall something from that long ago !

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:51 am

Pete Dube wrote:I watched and recorded the broadcast premier, and there was no extra hour. Only 4 performances from the original film: I Just Can't Help Believin'; I've Lost You; Sweet Caroline; Bridge Over Troubled Water. These extras probably took up 15 minutes tops.

I remember that time well. I went and bought a big screen Television just for the broadcast...lol

This was really the first time my wife was introduced to Elvis, she has been a fan every since.

I remember trying to find this DVD for almost a year after if not longer (this was before my introduction to the net) nobody knew anything about it. When they were finnaly able to get a release date it changed 100 times. This whole promotion was botched by Warner, although I go against the grain in saying I think the Television broadcast was a good idea. Maybe they could have made it more of a teaser though, maybe 30 minutes long.

I like everyone else was so pissed when the extra 4 songs were not on there. That was one part of the show that my wife really liked since they were done like videos.

I will say that I do think a lot of mistakes made by Warner was due to DVDs being a fairly new market and the science on how to market them was not complete yet. I believe they are still selling the first print of these DVDs and when they have to go back to re-up we should see some extras.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:58 am

Tony -

No, it wasn't a mistake to air the thing before the DVD.

After all, the He Touched Me documentaries were aired before the very successful videos & DVD appeared.

The mistakes were:

a] Having more footage on tv than on the DVD.

b] Dangling the prospect of an hour's-worth of extras in front of us, only to withdraw them at the last minute.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:26 am

The "Bonus Selections" originally slated for inclusion on DVD were:

Don't; Baby Let's Play House; Cattle Call; Eating Burgers; Father Along; Hey Jude; I Just Can't Help Believin'; I've Lost You; Little Sister/Get Back (alternate); Mystery Train/Tiger Man (alternate); Oh, Happy Day; Party Sequence; Poem/Walk A Mile In My Shoes; Something; Stranger In The Crowd; Sweet Caroline; Yesterday; and You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (alternate).

There are listed on the covers that were erroneously released. Notice that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was NOT to be included, even before the "Bonus Selections" were axed.

Mystery Train

Re: Why no "I Just Can't Help Believin'" in TTWII

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:39 am

51 Reissue wrote:This may have been discussed before I don't know. I just can't help wonderin?

Because Rick Schmucklin said so ! :cry:

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:40 am

Marko wrote:Songs were left out because the publishing companies demanded big $$$ for them.

I am betting it was more like cheap asses at the helm of the project. That and the fact that it was a horrible mish mash that actually made the first release a more popular item to be found in original form on DVD. :lol:

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:07 am

genesim wrote:
Marko wrote:Songs were left out because the publishing companies demanded big $$$ for them.

I am betting it was more like cheap asses at the helm of the project. That and the fact that it was a horrible mish mash that actually made the first release a more popular item to be found in original form on DVD. :lol:

Well, that's what Ernst Jorgensen said about some songs that was left out. If I remember correctly Are You Lonesome Tonight was one of them.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:14 am

TTWII DVD, even how good the sound and picture, missed the target by not including what should obviously have been in there.
Too many lightweight performances of Elvis' own classics, leaving out classic performances of IJCHB, Bridge.... and Sweet Caroline.
Other performances to be found in "The Lost Performances" video, should also have been included.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:59 pm

TJ wrote:

I believe Bridge was another neglected for 'artistic' reasons, rather than copyright reasons.

I can only assume that he developed that 'vision' while wearing dark glasses and a bag over his head 8)

:P

For sure.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:41 pm

AYLT could be ONE of them..but explain the missing premo tracks.

No, what happened is that someone was in charge that didn't know the material. They were so busy beefing this up with throwaway 50's redo's and half assed takes of songs(i.e. Suspcious Minds) that they didn't stop to do some research on why Elvis fans love the original movie.

I Just Can't Help Believin, Sweet Caroline, Bridge.....a complete crime to leave out!

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:40 pm

genesim wrote:

No, what happened is that someone was in charge that didn't know the material.

That's it.

This Schmidlin guy's area of expertise is in film editing.

He's pretty good at that.

Knows squat about Elvis or his supporters.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:59 am

No, what happened is that someone was in charge that didn't know the material. They were so busy beefing this up with throwaway 50's redo's and half assed takes of songs(i.e. Suspcious Minds) that they didn't stop to do some research on why Elvis fans love the original movie.

I Just Can't Help Believin, Sweet Caroline, Bridge.....a complete crime to leave out!

Very true. The revision of the actual film is better off without those two pathetic hags with Elvis dolls and cats and the old dude in back of a truck unloading merchandise. Those revisions were necessary. However, there was no reason to completely mess with the editing of the music. That is where this DVD is a total failure. And sadly, it is doubtful the film will be reissued. But one can hope a new edition will hit the market at some point with a bonus disc of "lost" performances.