Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

68 Comeback DVD: what IS missing?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:24 pm

i've heard several different versions of whats missing from this awesome dvd.
if anyone could list EVERY tidbit that was filmed but didn't make it on to the dvd i'd be very grateful..?
and perhaps even name what other stuff is believed to have been filmed but not sure it was filmed?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:29 pm

It Hurts Me is missing from the actual show.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:44 pm

I forget the particulars but to my memory that "missing material" (the karate being especially ludicrous if unintentially fun) was not in the original broadcasts (not until after he died) and can in fact be found in the outtake section.

Or am I wrong?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I forget the particulars but to my memory that "missing material" (the karate being especially ludicrous if unintentially fun) was not in the original broadcasts (not until after he died) and can in fact be found in the outtake section.

Or am I wrong?

It was cut out of before originally broadcasted. The outtakes can be found but the version how it was originally edited is missing from the show. It should be there and EPE has admitted the mistake.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:49 pm

But in fairness, it didn't make "the cut" that was broadcast.

Doesn't that count for something?

Technically, it is an outtake or something that "didn't make the show."

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:54 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:But in fairness, it didn't make "the cut" that was broadcast.

Well, there's two official versions of the show. The original broadcast and the extended version which Steve Binder put together for video (which I believe was his original cut). The extended version is on the dvd but is missing by mistake It Hurts Me.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:58 pm

"Two 'official' versions"?

In the DVD era where you have "Director's cuts" and the like, the line is being blurred about what the "original" was.

Granted, we want it all, but it doesn't change that '68 broadcast that made such a stir did not include these two songs.

I concede that they do fit in and shouldn't have been cut, but then we say that about many an outtake, audio or otherwise.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:05 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:"Two 'official' versions"?

In the DVD era where you have "Director's cuts" and the like, the line is being blurred about what the "original" was.

Granted, we want it all, but it doesn't change that '68 broadcast that made such a stir did not include these two songs.

I concede that they do fit in and shouldn't have been cut, but then we say that about many an outtake, audio or otherwise.

Official in a sense that they were made by director Steve Binder. The original broadcast is the historic one.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I forget the particulars but to my memory that "missing material" (the karate being especially ludicrous if unintentially fun) was not in the original broadcasts (not until after he died) and can in fact be found in the outtake section.

Or am I wrong?

The first half of the song is in the out takes section but not the second half. It doesn't really bother me that its missing because i was never a fan of the production numbers. The 4 uncut concerts is the main reason i got the disc.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:18 pm

How many of you "labored" through all of the multiple takes of each production number? Great to have it, but...

I had to put a "book-mark" in and try to return every couple of days.

My wife nearly had a fit after about 36 takes of "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" or "Saved." :oops: :lol:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:51 pm

Rezident, here is the deal. Besides the obvious omission of "it hurts me", there is some misc. dialogue and studio chatter that was done in between songs. This is very minor and amounts to seconds. Also, I believe the 2 second segment where he takes a puff from a cigar is missing. I remember it being in the bootleg material, but I don't recall seeing it in the box set.

There has been no evidence that the rehearsals of the 24th and 25th were ever filmed.

I also find it strange that "a little less conversation" was recorded and recently found and released, and yet not on the box set. It makes one wonder if it too was filmed at one point and cut out.

And one more thing. Bootleg videos from years ago reveal different camera angles used, as well as a one camera, close up filmed of an entire sit-down show.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Years ago I read that Working on the Building was originally in the gospel segment - hence the wheelbarrows on the set. Doesn't seem likely though.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:06 pm

Interesting post, Ekenee.

The subject of the great '68 "Singer Special" was discussed on these related threads recently:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... t=comeback

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:00 pm

Or am I wrong?

Not all the outtakes of It Hurts Me are there.

I tried to reconstruct the song using them, and the final section, ending up with Elvis foot up on the pile of defeated adversaries, is missing.

BTW - I reckon the 'fun' in It Hurts Me was intentional.

Kind of a send-up of his 60's film career !

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:33 pm

I hope you're right. I enjoy it, but it's still a bit too close to home and cringe-worthy.

I think it was just excess and they got a little too "Alvin Ailey" in some of those Broadway style production numbers.

I still love it to pieces but...

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:But in fairness, it didn't make "the cut" that was broadcast.

It's not consequent. The bordello scene didn't make it in the show either just like It Hurts Me but is still in the DVD at the original place unlike It Hurts Me.

I suspect this to be intentional because this way they'll have me (and probably many others) buy the single DVD edition that'll have this mistake corrected.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:50 am

[quote="Marko
Well, there's two official versions of the show. The original broadcast and the extended version which Steve Binder put together for video (which I believe was his original cut). The extended version is on the dvd but is missing by mistake It Hurts Me.[/quote]

IMHO...

I would count the Original NBC Broadcast.

The NBC re-broadcast (1969 I think) where they replaced Blue Christmas with Tiger Man.

The VHS if it is Steve's original cut. Which I find unlikely; something would have had to be removed in order to shorten it to fit the one hour time slot (less time for commercials). If I remember correctly, this version has the Bordello segment, Blue Christmas, and Tiger Man. This would have been too long to be the original cut. However, it could have been Steve’s original cut before trimming to fit the proper time slot.

The thing that kills me is that there isn't a version out there of how it was originally aired...or even that matches the VHS version.

I guess it really doesn't matter since we have it all now...it just seems to me that it should be out there for historical purposes.

Bpd

P.S. You know, even after having all of the footage, I'm still fool enough to purchase a DVD of the 'originally aired' version...especially if it had the 'originally re-broadcast' version and the VHS version as a bonus. Then again…I would also buy a DVD of the 68 Special/Aloha combination show that was hosted by Anne Margret that was aired in 1978! I’M NOT KIDDING!!!

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:02 am

bpd wrote:The VHS if it is Steve's original cut. Which I find unlikely; something would have had to be removed in order to shorten it to fit the one hour time slot (less time for commercials). If I remember correctly, this version has the Bordello segment, Blue Christmas, and Tiger Man. This would have been too long to be the original cut. However, it could have been Steve’s original cut before trimming to fit the proper time slot.

I think Binder's original cut of the show was to be 90 minutes. That makes sense since the VHS is about 75 minutes, if I recall correctly...

Axe

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:14 am

Greg: I labored through the entire production outtakes section. It'll probably never happen again.

I wish BMG/EPE would release a single disc version of the Comeback special containing the special as it originally aired. Just the original 53? minutes. Nothing more or less.

Speaking of laboring throgh something: I borrowed a friends Loving You
FTD and labored through disc 2. Lord Almighty!!

Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:06 am

JerryNodak wrote:Greg: I labored through the entire production outtakes section. It'll probably never happen again.

I wish BMG/EPE would release a single disc version of the Comeback special containing the special as it originally aired. Just the original 53? minutes. Nothing more or less.

I seriously hope you weren't one of those who bitched and moaned endlessly that this material wasn't complete and would never be released.

you guys do really send me up the bloody wall.

Re: 68 Comeback DVD: what IS missing?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:25 am

rezident wrote:i've heard several different versions of whats missing from this awesome dvd.
if anyone could list EVERY tidbit that was filmed but didn't make it on to the dvd i'd be very grateful..?
and perhaps even name what other stuff is believed to have been filmed but not sure it was filmed?

If you're that sensitive about the missing "It Hurts Me" bit, you can find it on the 2000 Lightyear DVD version. Good thing I did'nt toss away the Lightyear DVD when the Deluxe came out. :wink:

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:13 am

Yes but that release does not contain the outtakes!!

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:34 am

Kylan: I stopped being an absolute completist about Elvis when RCA stopped issueing his music on vinyl back sometime in the '80s.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:14 pm

Kylan wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:Greg: I labored through the entire production outtakes section. It'll probably never happen again.

I seriously hope you weren't one of those who bitched and moaned endlessly that this material wasn't complete and would never be released.

you guys do really send me up the bloody wall.

Hey, I love to have it all, too and wish they hadn't cut out even the cigar-smoking, but let's be real.

I'm talking about watchability, so to speak.

We're here to speak honestly among friends of a sort.

The '68 and ALOHA DVDs are among my favorite releases, bar none.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:26 am

Axeman wrote:
bpd wrote:The VHS if it is Steve's original cut. Which I find unlikely; something would have had to be removed in order to shorten it to fit the one hour time slot (less time for commercials). If I remember correctly, this version has the Bordello segment, Blue Christmas, and Tiger Man. This would have been too long to be the original cut. However, it could have been Steve’s original cut before trimming to fit the proper time slot.

I think Binder's original cut of the show was to be 90 minutes. That makes sense since the VHS is about 75 minutes, if I recall correctly...

Axe

Then it seems that the VHS is Steve's initial cut. That's good news...

bpd