Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What are some essential live FTD discs to get?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:53 am

I was thinking about getting 4 or 5 live FTD discs; but I have absolutely no idea which ones might be worth buying. Any recomendations?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:56 am

Do you have any already?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:58 am

Matthew wrote:Do you have any already?

Not a one. :)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:04 am

Oh right well:

One Night In Vegas
Elvis At The International
Polk Salad Annie
Dixieland Rocks
Dinner At Eight

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:05 am

They all contain material you won't find anywhere else, so get them all!

It'll cost you a small fortune now though!

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:10 am

Keith F wrote:They all contain material you won't find anywhere else, so get them all!

It'll cost you a small fortune now though!

I just might be crazy enough to (eventualy) do that! :)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:13 am

PaulKTF wrote:I just might be crazy enough to (eventualy) do that! :)

It's getting harder now (and very expensive) if you don't have any FTD's at all, to get the complete collection, but I would say get them if you can!

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:23 am

Matthew wrote:Oh right well:

One Night In Vegas
Polk Salad Annie
Dixieland Rocks
Dinner At Eight

Matthew,

Great- I'll get all those! Much appreciated. Anyone else have any others they want to chime in with?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:45 am

I would say
Dixieland rocks
Its Midnight
Southern Night

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:57 am

One Night In Vegas
Live At The International
Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
Summer Festival

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:07 am

I don't have All Shook Up yet, but it's Elvis live in '69 so it has to be great. I highly recommend Elvis At The International. Polk Salad Annie and One Night In Vegas are essential FTD purchases for 1970 shows. I'd skip The Impossible Dream for the time being. I'll be ordering Summer Festival later this week, but it's a 1972 show and should be decent. Of the '73 shows I'd get Takin' Tahoe Tonight and pass on Closing Night which IMO is the worst live FTD release. Live On Stage In Memphis is the best of the '74 shows. All of the '75 releases are enjoyable, but I'd go for Dixieland Rocks before the others. The '76 Pittsburgh show is one of the very best concerts Elvis gave in the last 18 months of his life. Lastly Spring Tours was surprisingly better than I expected overall considering the period - although there are a few cringe inducing tracks.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:32 am

Dixieland Rocks and Its Midnight are great in my opinion those 2 are im my cd player right now along with return of the tiger man vol.4, hot winter night in dallas, and As Recorded at Madison Square Garden :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:36 am

Keith F wrote:They all contain material you won't find anywhere else, so get them all!

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't matter which ones you ge first. I don't envy you though, having to start collecting them now. With the price being a minimum of $30.00 each, you will be paying a pretty penny to get them all.

Nothing against you at all, but reading your post makes me thankful that I already have all of them. Good luck.

Re: What are some essential live FTD discs to get?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:59 am

PaulKTF wrote:I was thinking about getting 4 or 5 live FTD discs ... Any recomendations?

For Elvis at his best, the top five FTD live discs (to date) are:

1969:
- Elvis At The International
- All Shook Up

1970:
- Polk Salad Annie
- One Night In Vegas

1972:
- Summer Festival

DJC

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:15 pm

The Memphis concert in 1974.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Without a doubt, the professional multi-track live recordings are the first one's to go for.

All Shook Up
Polk Salad Annie
One Night In Vegas

But an FTD that I think gets overlooked and under-rated is "Big Boss Man". Elvis performs a no BS show, with a great set-list.

IMO, Tucson '76 will always be "essential" - just for the live version of "Danny Boy" alone.

Rich

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:11 am

Pete Dube wrote:Closing Night is the worst live FTD release.

I couldn't agree more.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:25 am

Dragonheart and Tucson 76 are the worst shows FTD has released. Tucson is barely saved by Danny Boy, but other than that performance, the rest of the show is absolutely terrible.