Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"BMG hopes public still loves Elvis tender"

Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:53 am

Here's an article from USA TODAY regarding "2nd To None"

BMG hopes public still loves Elvis tender
By David Lieberman, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — Bertelsmann's music arm, BMG, is about to try to give a dead act, in this case Elvis Presley, a whole new career. On Oct. 7 it will try to build on last year's successful ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits with the release of a follow-up CD: Elvis: 2nd to None.

While the song list for the new record is still being set, it will include five No. 1 singles not on last year's collection (including Viva Las Vegas and Blue Suede Shoes), favorites determined from postings at fan Web sites (I Want You, I Need You, I Love You and Always on My Mind), and seminal tracks (That's All Right).

BMG will try to rope in more young fans with a remix of Rubberneckin' by DJ Paul Oakenfold, who has worked with U2, INXS and Simply Red.

The CD will be part of a series of albums with sonically refurbished Presley oldies that the privately held German media giant plans to turn out annually — maybe even more often for the next three to five years, says BMG Strategic Marketing Group Executive Vice President Joe DiMuro. "No one's had a career like Elvis' that spanned from 1954 to 1977."

He's already considering albums of Elvis' Christmas and gospel songs. Plans for next year might focus on it being the 50th anniversary of Elvis' recording debut. And 2006 is the 50th anniversary of his TV-fueled breakout from regional star to national superstar.

For this year, the BMG hype machine is planning pervasive TV ads, billboards and online marketing. And it is helping with an Elvis documentary to be broadcast on NBC.

Under consideration for the holidays this year are three DVDs, which might include a new version of Elvis' 1968 NBC appearance commonly known as his "Comeback Special" and his 1973 Aloha from Hawaii worldwide televised concert from Hawaii. And Bertelsmann's Random House will publish an Elvis coffee-table book. The King died in 1977.

Plans to keep Elvis rocking are "very, very well thought out," says Elvis Presley Enterprises CEO Jack Soden. "The success of 30 # 1 Hits has created a hunger for more."

That's certainly the case at BMG, which would love to breathe new life into Elvis' work.

ELV1S 30 #1 Hits spent three weeks at the top of the U.S. charts after release last September. It generated $140 million last year from worldwide sales of nearly 10 million albums.

Since the production costs were paid off long ago, the biggest expenses for the new releases are re-engineering and marketing, leaving BMG with a profit margin north of 30%.

The King's return on sales is "the highest of anyone in our group," DiMuro says.

Those results — plus successes by hitmakers including Avril Lavigne and Pink — helped BMG make a $135 million profit in 2002 with 10% of the world market vs. a loss with 8.2% of the market in 2001, Britain's Music & Copyright reported this month.

Even DiMuro doesn't expect to repeat last year's Elvis numbers. But he projects the second shot will generate as much as $55 million by selling up to 6 million units, including more than 2 million in the USA.

And he says the techniques being used to revive Elvis' oldies might also be used to jolt others in the BMG vaults, including Jefferson Airplane, John Denver, Hall & Oates, Lou Reed and Dolly Parton.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:02 am

"While the song list for the new record is still being set, it will include five No. 1 singles not on last year's collection (including Viva Las Vegas and Blue Suede Shoes), favorites determined from postings at fan Web sites (I Want You, I Need You, I Love You and Always on My Mind), and seminal tracks (That's All Right). "

Where were Blue Suede Shoes and Viva Las Vegas number one?

jeff R

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:38 pm

viva las vegas and blue suede shoes maybe was No 1 in other countries than USA and UK or No 1 in some other charts -

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:22 pm

Will writers, publishers, editors, authors, etc. EVER get away from using the worn-to-a-frazzle Love Me Tender reference ("BMG hopes public still loves Elvis tender")?!

Nauseates me every time, much like the "Elvis fans are All Shook Up over....."

Phew. I feel better, thanks.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:58 pm

My boy, It's always on my mind, too, and usually leaves me feeling something blue.

No need to get way down about it. I asked the girl of my best friend, but she just told me tomorrow never comes.

Anyway I'm off now spend the night in my little cabin on the hill.

:roll:

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:17 pm

Don't be cruel, tupelo boy!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:21 pm

YOU try walking a mile in his shoes, KHoots! Any day now, you gotta stop wearing that loved on look.

But, there are other topics to reply to, I'm movin' on.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:01 am

Elvis fans caught in a trap
The King is dead for 26 years but still good rockin' tonight :lol:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:13 am

STOP IT!!!!!!! :cry:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:18 am

IT] (stopped) :lol:

:roll:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:19 am

KHoots wrote:STOP IT!!!!!!! :cry:

Elvis fans still lonesome tonight
After 26 years they can't stop loving him