Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

2nd to none press release

Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:21 pm

To Meet the Overwhelming Demand for All Things Elvis, Latest Release Features A Rare Combination of Hits and Fan Favorites and a Paul Oakenfold remix of Rubberneckin-

Over nine million albums sold worldwide last year, No. 1 in 26 territories, a remixed No. 1 single, and a national TV special all proved that Elvis Presley is still a driving force in the music industry. The historic release of ELV1S 30 #1 HITS captured the nation’s attention as only The King of Rock ‘n' Roll can. Not only did the traditional Elvis enthusiasts respond to the release, but millions of new fans were introduced to the music of Elvis for the first time.

As the natural follow-up to last year’s overwhelming success, and in keeping with their history of creating, preserving and celebrating great music BMG/RCA will produce -- with the full participation of Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. ELVIS 2ND TO NONE, a compilation of additional #1 singles, fan favorites, career milestones, and a few surprises including a remix of Rubberneckin’ produced by DJ Paul Oakenfold, one of the most acclaimed remixers in music history.

Scheduled for release on October 7, this compilation will be distinctly different and a complement to last year’s compilation of No. 1 hits. ELVIS 2ND TO NONE will present a broader range of Elvis’ talents and incorporate a multiple of musical genres including R & B, rock ‘n' roll, pop, country, dance and rockabilly.

“Last year’s release proved that Elvis’ popularity is on par with today’s top artists,” said Joe DiMuro, Executive Vice President, BMG Strategic Marketing Group. “For some fans, 30 #1 HITS was a way to rekindle an old friendship and for millions of others it was the beginning of a new, great relationship. We believe that ELVIS 2ND TO NONE will build on those relationships.”

All 30 tracks on ELVIS 2ND TO NONE have been mixed and mastered from the original master tapes for optimum sound quality. This is the same process that drew across-the-board raves from critics, music aficionados and the original band members themselves for the 30 #1 HITS production. This year’s album will include such classics as That’s All Right, Viva Las Vegas, Blue Suede Shoes, I Want You, I Need You I Love You, Always on My Mind and Don’t Cry Daddy. Oakenfold’s remix of Rubberneckin’ is sure to be well received among today’s generation of music fans and further demonstrates the legacy of Presley’s music.

“We are thrilled with this latest chapter in the Elvis legacy. This release is the natural follow-up to last year’s production and we believe music fans of all generations will continue to embrace Elvis’ music,” said Jack Soden, President & CEO of Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc.

Certainly the success of the 30 #1 HITS proved that Elvis is 2ND TO NONE as a music and entertainment legend. The album reached No. 1 in 26 territories worldwide, including the U.S. where it was a chart topper for three weeks. Over 9 million albums were sold worldwide with 3.5 million in the U.S. Among the hits was the No. 1 remix of A Little Less Conversation” produced by DJ JXL which went to No. 1 in 26 countries including the US and Great Britain. That feat pushed Elvis past the Beatles for most No. 1 hits in the UK. Following the album’s release, a television special, Elvis Lives aired on NBC Thanksgiving night and the special claimed the all important 18-34 demographic for the hour. The retrospective on Elvis examined his legacy today and included covers performed by Norah Jones, No Doubt, Dave Matthews and Chris Isaak with LeAnn Rimes. Furthermore, the ELV1S 30 #1 HITS DVD audio debuted at No. 1 in the sales charts upon its release.

Of course, Elvis’s musical contributions are unsurpassed: He is the only artist to be inducted into all three music Halls of Fame, including Rock n’ Roll, Country and Gospel. He holds the record for most top 10 pop singles (40), the most gold and platinum awards (140) and is the world’s best selling artist, having sold more records than any other artist in history. His popularity remains intact to this day as there are more active Elvis Presley fan clubs around the world than for any other artist dead or alive. ELVIS 2ND TO NONE will celebrate the music and the man that created the legend.

BMG is the global music division of Bertelsmann AG, one of the world's leading media companies. BMG owns more than 200 record labels in 41 countries including Ariola, Arista Records, J Records, Jive Records, RCA Records and RCA Label Group - Nashville. In addition, BMG's music publishing operations are the third largest in the world.

Looks great. I hope they will include "such a night", "moody blue" and "My way" also to the tracklist

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:26 am

I'm only aware of 38 top ten US hits. What are the other two?

jeff R

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:45 am

Perhaps one of them was Blue Christmas being #1 on the Christmas charts. I think this song should be counted.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:05 am

If they are going to count other charts then Elvis would have about 20-30 more top tens. He had many on the Adult and Country charts besides a couple on the Christmas chart.

jeff R

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:07 am

I think the difference is that Blue Christmas was EXCLUDED from the pop charts. If it weren't for that chart it would have most certainly have hit the POP charts. See what I mean?

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:14 am

I think If I Can Dream made the Top Ten on Cashbox, perhaps a song like One Broken Heart For Sale, I'm Yours or Ask Me did the same thing.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:15 am

What are your 30 songs do you think should be on this album?
mine are....

1.) That's All Right
2.) I want you I need you
3.) Blue Suede Shoes
4.) Blue Christmas
5.) Treat Me Nice
6.) Loving You
7.) Viva Las Vegas
8.) Roustabout
9.) Don't Cry Daddy
10.) Always On My Mind
11.) American Trilogy
12.) Moody Blue
13.) If ICan Dream
14.) Memories
15.) GI Blues
16.) Blue Hawaii
17.) Steamroller Blues
18.) CC Rider
19.) You Gave Me A Moutain
20.) My Boy
21.) Baby Lets Play House
22.) King Creole
23.) Bridge Over trouble Water
24.) How Great Thou Art-74 version
25.) Little Sister
26.) Bosa Nova Baby
27.) Let It Be Me
28.) Sweet Caroline
29.) My Way
30.) Rubberneckin

Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:19 am

I wouldn't mind seeing "Polk Salad Annie" (Feb '70) included on this CD - I guess we'll find out eventually.

Rich

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:00 am

What's missing from the BMG press releasse is details of how both the single (Rubberneckin') and the album will be promoted. Without a World Cup soccer campaign (or something similar) to promote the single a repeat success of Elvis vs JXL is unlikely unless the full BMG pr machine is put to work on cross area -promotion. Similarly, how will the album fare compared to Elvis 30 #1 Hits? Can we expect extensive point of sale marketing, TV ads etc?? :!:

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:44 am

the USA TODAY article states that BMG will promote this new cd with Billboards, TV and Internet ads and a NBC TV special in the fall.

I think they get 40 Top 10 Hits from the fact that "America" and "ALLC" both hit the Billboard Top 10 on the singles SALES chart! I emailed Billboard and they sent me back a brief statement saying that those 2 songs are among his other top 10's as well. personally, I'll believe it, when I see it in the updated Joel Whitburn's TOP 10 book!!!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:09 am

I've always thought that "sales" should be the chart that influences the charting spots more than any other chart. Why should a song that certain big market radio stations play extensively outweigh the amount that the recording has sold.
If these last two singles are considered Top Ten, then ALLC should be Elvis' 19th number one. It did hit number one on the sales chart but only 55 or so on the Hot 100. How can a song be the biggest selling single for weeks and not make the Top 40? I remember hearing ALLC hundreds of times on many different stations last fall.
I don't see how they can justify calling those two songs Top Ten. I mean, they should have made the Top Ten. It just doesn't make sense the way Billboard does things in recent years.

jeff R

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:14 am

It's been my opinion for some time now that charts are really screwed up here in the US...

The music business here is all business and no music. You do need both, but a little better blend sure wouldn't hurt. UK seems to be different for the most part. Maybe that's just me doing a "grass is greener" thing, though?

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:45 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:I've always thought that "sales" should be the chart that influences the charting spots more than any other chart. Why should a song that certain big market radio stations play extensively outweigh the amount that the recording has sold.

jeff R

I would disagree here.

What we want is a guage on how "popular" a song is compared to others.

The popularity of a song is not directly tied to sales. A song can capture your enjoyment without the need for purchase. For example I enjoy the Sprano's theme - but have never bought it. A Corvette would be on anyone's top ten cars - but sales will not reflect that.

Billboard is a trade magazine - their interest is best seved by assisting labels to sell to retailers - thus they - in their opinion - use a judicious mixture of air-play and sales to that objective. To give retailers, radio and TV interests the best guide possible as to likely sellers in ranking order.

This has evolved over a hundred years - and as they are regarded as the industry bible - with others fallen along the wayside - they must be doing something right in the eyes of the trade.

To recap - the popularity of a song is related to share of mind - with both sales and airplay a factor.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:51 pm

MY 30 FAVORITES
1 THATS ALL RIGHT
2. BABY LETS PLAY HOUSE
3. MYSTERY TRAIN
4. I WAS THE ONE
5. MY BABY LEFT ME
6 I WANT YOU,I NEED YOU,I LOVE YOU
7. BLUE SUEDE SHOES
7. LOVE ME
8. PARALYZED
9.ANYWAY YOU WANT ME
10. THATS WHEN YOUR HEARTACHES BEGIN
11. LOVING YOU
12. TREAT ME NICE
13. I NEED YOUR LOVE TONIGHT
14. MY WISH CAME TRUE
15. I GOT STUNG
16. FAME AND FORTUNE
17. IT FEELS SO RIGHT
18. RECONSIDER BABY
19. G.I. BLUES
20. ROCK A HULA BABY
21. IM YOURS
22. ASK ME
23. PUPPET ON A STRING
24. IF I CAN DREAM
25. YOU'LL THINK OF ME
26. MY LITTLE FRIEND
27. ANY DAY NOW
28. I'VE LOST YOU
29. MY WAY
30. PLEDGING MY LOVE
31. RUBBERNECKIN REMIX

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:22 pm

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:12 am

I dissagree with you Kiwi, If a song is not good enough that you go and buy it then it shouldn't be counted. Sales is the only way to gauge popularity of a song.
Your point about cars is way off. Cars sell for very different reasons and prices. Cds are not an expensive item and should roughly cost about the same as each other.

8)

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:39 am

I do think that sales should be the most important factor. I also think that airplay should count too. But sales should be the most important.
After all, some major big market cities may not play a certain single because it doesn't fit their playlist. Should this mean that the song is a flop on the charts? I think that's the reason whay ALLC did not make it higher than the 50's.
Like I said before, I heard this song everywhere. Every radio station I heard, in stores. People that were not even fans were talking about it. Plus, it was the best selling single for weeks.
Something is very wrong with Billboard magazine. But then, we've had this same discussion before.

jeff R

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:37 pm

In my area (PA/NJ) - it was the complete opposite. NOBODY would play "ALLC". I made requests but it didn't matter. They just decided they were not going to play it and that was it.

Rich