Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Possible ebay fraud (beware)!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:56 pm

Friends, currently listed on e-bay as item # 3531927946 is an autographed Elvis' LP with COA, which was first issued by BMG in 1985. At first glance it appears to be "Elvis' Christmas Album" (LOC 1035) issued by RCA in 1957; however, look at the photo -- it is actually the BMG re-issue (AFM1-5486) issued in 1985 -- seven years after Elvis died! The photo is slightly blurred to hide the fact that it is the reissue.

Sadly, the bid is over $200! I've reported this to ebay.

Mystery Train

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:59 pm

Sig. is as fake as they come, too (but you already knew that .... :wink: ).

The piece is in good company with all of the other bogus Elvis autographs on e-bay.

N8
... just a fan ....

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:18 pm

First off, I am TOTALLY opposed to anyone deliberately selling faked material (Elvis or otherwise) on E-bay. That being said, if the item in question is fake, then yes, E-bay should take the auction off. That, however, may or may not happen...and just notifying the seller of the fake may or may not do any good either. Money is a powerful "fuel" in this world.
So what can be done now....well, if "you" are so inclined, and are worried that the bidder is going to get ripped off....then send the bidder an e-mail warning the person of the said questionable validity of the item. You can warn the person by simply sending the bidder a "question" through E-bay. You can "ask the seller" a question...I am quite sure you can do the same for the bidder by simply clicking on the bidders highlighted name. That way, if the person bidding still bids on the questionable item, its his/her own fault for doing so after being fully informed of the said item. If a person bids after a warning then its his/her own fault to take whatever risk may come....just my humble opinion and 2 cents worth. Peace! 8)

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:18 pm

I wonder what eBay will do with the information? Do they make sure the item is withdrawn?

It's fraud of the highest order and needs to be stopped.

If the item has already reached $200, then there's a lot of people who are getting taken in by this worthless junk. It seems eBay breeds this type of deception.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:30 pm

Getlo,
I am afraid that E-bay ges too many of these things to actually do much about them all. I mean, sure, some fake items get pulled down, but I bet it is hard for E-bay to police every faked item. As for this particular item, do they (E-bay) really know a real Elvis signature from a fake one? It must be hard to get all the fake ones that come through. Thats why I think a quick e-mail to the bidder is effective. After "you" or I notify somebody of a potential fake they are bidding on, then its up to them to decide if what "we" tell them is true. At least it might get them looking further into the validity of the item.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:30 pm

Getlo,
I am afraid that E-bay gets too many of these things to actually do much about them all. I mean, sure, some fake items get pulled down, but I bet it is hard for E-bay to police every faked item. As for this particular item, do they (E-bay) really know a real Elvis signature from a fake one? What if its a good fake, this may or may not be a good fake, but how is E-bay supposed to always tell? I just think it must be hard to get all the fake ones that come through. That is why I think a quick e-mail to the bidder can be just as effective. After "you" or I notify somebody of a potential fake that they are bidding on, then its up to them to decide if what "we" have told them is true. At lthe very least it might get them looking further into the validity of the item.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:39 pm

There is a very simple solution to this fraud. Someone such as N88oep or UncleFester should be in direct affiliation with e-Bay. Any Elvis Presley signed item or authentic items such as Sun pressings, clothing, jewelry etc that would potentially sell for a high price would then be examined by one of the above board members or even both. Only upon the final conclusions of authenticity could the item then be allowed to be auctioned on the site.
Think about how many of us worry about another fan being ripped off by autographs, vinyl, jumpsuits, CDRs etc...Even if we cannot stop it completely, it is impressive that so many even care at all.
The CDRs should be non-existant on e-Bay. Even the ones who openly state they are selling CDRs. Of course there are many who try to mask the fact they are selling "home-burns", but most of us realize someone is not going to sell their original copy of "Don't Think Twice" with a (Buy-it-Now) option of $12.00 for example. There are even CDRs of BMG/FTD product listed for bid! And people wonder why the RIAA and EPE are so hard on us. They could care less if you copy a million bootlegs trade them to all of your friends and passer-bys on the street and completely killed the sales of a release and drove the bootleggers out of business, but when you start doing the same thing to them...man, it can get ugly real fast! Stop copying official product and trying to sell it publically. CDRs have no value, give them away if you must but stop selling them and the lion (EPE) will sleep for a few more years.
Steve

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:41 pm

Sorry about the double posts, my "puter" acted up and left me not realizing that both had been already posted AFTER I made a few revisions to the first one...if that makes sense, but probably not! And no, I am not drunk! :lol: :oops: :cry: :roll:

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:42 pm

eBay isn't going to take it down. It's your word versus the sellers word. So obviously they'll keep it up.

You can't email the bidder, the seller has conveniently made it a "private auction", meaning only the seller knows who is bidding.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:46 pm

Was it a "private" auction all along? I am not sure if it was. So no, you can't notify the bidder now it appears. Folks, the seller may be looking at us right now.....hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :shock:

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:15 pm

I wonder if she is genuinely surprised, or just acting that way?

Anyway, it's good she has got back in touch. If it gets the fake autograph taken off, then it's been worth it.

I agree BMG should come down on people who bootleg their genuine products.

Seems like there is a demand for CDR's. I suspect a lot of the bidders are unaware of a copy and an original CD.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:24 pm

ONENIGHTWITHYOU wrote:Getlo,
I am afraid that E-bay gets too many of these things to actually do much about them all...
...That is why I think a quick e-mail to the bidder can be just as effective. After "you" or I notify somebody of a potential fake that they are bidding on, then its up to them to decide if what "we" have told them is true. At lthe very least it might get them looking further into the validity of the item.

Sounds like a good idea, ONENIGHTWITHYOU.

With the amount of bogus items appearing, it would be a full time job for someone!

With so many fake autographs around, how can you possibly know (with 100% certainty) that you are about to purchase an original.

Is that at all possible?

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:55 am

E-bay, in general, is a crapshoot. Things sell all the time ...... fair valued, under-valued, and over-valued.

Lots & lots of bogus crap that run the gamut of outright fakes to misrepresentation of items.

Know what you collect, and know it well.

Unfortunately, e-bay will not put a complete stop to it simply because the sellers can always claim ignorance (or fast talk their way out of issues, protecting themselves with "wiggle" words used in their listing descriptions) ......... AND ........... e-bay gets listing fees for every single item put up on their site (whether it sells or not).

As far as Elvis items go, ............ I agree with UF, ........ bring 'em to this MB for "opinions" (FREE, "opinions" at that :wink: ). No matter what you collect, there is probably somebody who can help you out. Keep in mind, those that dislike the skepticism, 2nd-guessing, and legitimate questions ................ probably have a vested interested in doing so (and resort to argument from "authority" to dismiss views expressed on this MB). There are no "authorities" in collecting (although some would like to be viewed, thought of, or paid as such), only "experts" of varying degrees in different areas. Even so, no "expert" knows everything.

As always, the disclaimer .......... JMO, FWIW.

N8
... just a fan ....

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:26 pm

It's always good to have genuine Elvis fans on this board who are happy to help out :D

Unfortunately my money only seems to lend itself to purchasing the Elvis releases we keep getting...

There's always the lottery. Perhaps my numbers will come up one day! :roll:

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:35 pm

She's ended the auction early. Unfortunately, it appears that she may be trying to collect the $200+ from the hapless highest bidder. Too bad the identity of the bidders was concealed. Otherwise we could have warned the bidders.

She's still offering two other seemingly bogus Elvis' autographs. Unfortuantely, those are on a "Separate Ways" LP and an index card, which presumably were in existence during Elvis' life.

The attempt to pass off an autograph on an LP that wasn't even issued until seven years after Elvis' death was particularly galling and highly stupid!

Mystery Train

Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:51 am

MT - "they" can always claim ..................... we don't know what we are talking about (ie: the item / sig. are "real").

Not even knowing much about vinyl, I can tell you that the sig., without question, is fake.

I can't remember the last time I ever saw a "genuine" Elvis autographed vinyl album for $200, either. :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....