Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

'Elvis Live' Box Set

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:33 pm

If we assume the 'Elvis Live' box set is a real possibility I would imagine it would form the basis of the 'Vegas Box' with the main discs covering multi-track performances and hiding behind them a well balanced soundboard show or selections.

I would also like to see 'Burning In Birmingham' remastered and remixed(?) from the master-tapes especially since a binaural tape has surfaced since the release of the bootleg.

My guess would be 1 multi-track Vegas show from Aug 1969 or Aug 1970 and 1 multi-track from 'On Tour'. Perhaps a selection of Multi-track performances not featured within the shows on Disc 1 and 2 from Aloha, Memphis & April & June 1977 shows then a disc of soundboards stuff?

I would like to see the emphasis on unreleased stuff but I would guess the quality of multitrack recordings would get priority for general sale.

Re: 'Elvis Live' Box Set

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Shaky wrote:
I would like to see the emphasis on unreleased stuff but I would guess the quality of multitrack recordings would get priority for general sale.

I think it would have to. The multi track recordings sound so much better, and lets not forget that there are still some unreleased multi tracks in the RCA vaults.

I remember reading some good reviews of the live set that featured on the 70’s box, and I think this disc really highlights how many first rate recordings Elvis made during the ‘70’s outside of the studio environment.

If this idea was expanded it could be good concept, but I would drop the idea of trying to mix the whole thing together to sound like one show, as this never really works.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:05 pm

With all the multi-track performances from August 69, February 70, August 70, February 72, and the On Tour shows (Greensboro, Richmond, Hampton Roads), there is certainly enough quality material in the BMG vaults for a great live Elvis package. This doesn't include some amazing sounding soundboards and the professionally recorded material from 1977.

Will BMG put together a comprehensive package from this material? Possibly. But, one has to assume with almost guaranteed certainty that if BMG releases another big live boxset (the other being Live In Las Vegas) they will again recycle previously released performances.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:41 am

I think the eventual Elvis On Tour set will serve as the perfect representation of Elvis on the road to the mainstream. The complete Hampton Roads show, tour rehearsals, highlights from the other shows and interviews.....make the audio documentary the movie company refuses to do with the visuals.

Then release the other shows on FTD.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:39 am

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the 3 disk were...

Elvis In Person 69
MSG Afternoon 72
MSG Evening 72
Memphis 74

Now before everyone laughs at this idea, stop and reflect on BMG's track record for mainstream releases.

If they did pull something like this I would begin to formulate a terrorist attack against the US BMG Headquarters.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 am

Hampton Roads and Richmond are supposed to be the two best shows from On Tour. Both will probably be part of an On Tour boxset with a 3rd disc of rehearsals/highlights from Greensboro. But, maybe Richmond or Greensboro will be released via FTD. If Greensboro is issued on FTD, fans will go balistic because of the widely owned Triangle release, but FTD is not just for owners of bootlegs and Ernst has made this clear, so Greensboro could wind up on FTD.

Of course, all the On Tour Boxset speculation is just that, speculation. In the end, BMG will put together a package that is somewhat of a let down (like Live In Las Vegas was).