Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Overdubbing on Elvis' live recordings

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:33 am

How much if any overdubbing was done on Elvis' live recordings that were released officially throughout the years? appreciate any info.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:55 am

Albums with overdubbed live tracks:

On Stage
Moody Blue
In Concert

Albums with undubbed live tracks:

In Person
As Recorded at Madison Square Garden
Aloha From Hawaii
Recorded Live Onstage in Memphis

Greg

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:56 am

In Elvis' lifetime, the 1969 and 1970 recordings had some vocal and instrumental work done on them. The June 1972 and January 1973 gigs did not. The March 1974 Memphis show added audience response. The April 1977 cuts on Moody Blue had vocal and instrumental work done as well.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:33 am

Doc,

<the 1969 and 1970 recordings had some vocal and instrumental work done on them.

Am I correct that this only applies to the "On Stage" versions? I am not aware of any overdubs on the "In Person" album.

<The March 1974 Memphis show added audience response.

Are you sure it was added, as opposed to just mixed too high at certain points? Surely they had a mic or two specifically to capture the ambience, and I thought that particular track was manipulated a little too agressively in the mix. I didn't know it was actually overdubbed onto the mix.

Greg

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:00 am

I don't think the upgraded version of "On Stage" has the overdubs.
Only on the original release.

8)

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:23 pm

I know the original “On Stage” recordings were indeed overdubbed, but I’ve often wondered whether Elvis did any vocal repairs after these tracks were originally recorded. There are a couple of acetate versions of “Walk A Mile In My Shoes” that sound almost identical to me, except that Elvis misses a line on one version, that is actually present on the other. Having said that Elvis’ delivery on these performances is so similar (compare the out takes on “TT&F” to the original masters, and you’ll see what I mean) that I wouldn’t say they were the same versions for sure.

I would also agree with DJC’s assessment that the “audience reaction” on the 1974 Memphis recording was added at a later date, rather than mixed higher than it actually was on the original source tape. The applause on the 1977 recordings also sounds false in places to me. Some of it sounds as though there is a tape loop running over the top of the original recording.

The 1999 version of “On Stage” is effectively a different album to the original “On Stage, February, 1970”, and personally I preferred the original mixes. However, as it contains a number of additional performances from this period, I would say both versions are worth owning.