Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Close Up Disc 4 / Live In Texas 1972

Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:06 pm

A couple of folks have received their sets and gave quickie reviews of the April 72 Texas CD.

Would someone please consider giving a more in-depth review of this concert for those of us who have to wait--or those of us who are on the fence about purchasing the box?

Can you please describe the performance quality?

Can you please describe the sound quality?

Can you please describe the sound mix/instrument balance?

Is Elvis voice much louder than the band, as on some previous issues? Or is his voice mixed properly, like he is singing with the band? Can the organ be heard in the mix? Are any instruments, missing or "wimpy" in the mix?

Thanks in advance

Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:33 pm

bump

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:10 pm

bump again

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:15 pm

I can't answer your question. Just thought I'd join you so you don't feel lonely on this post.

So can anyone answer the question??? :(

8)

Re: Close Up Disc 4 / Live In Texas 1972

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:45 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Can you please describe the performance quality?

A very tight performance. Not much fooling around, not much talking. The typical 1972 performance. I wouldn't call it cold but cool and professional.

Can you please describe the sound quality?

Very good IMO. I'd even say the best live concert experience so far There's a little noise at the beginning that can't be heard when the concert has started. Also Sprach Zarathustra BTW is one of the best versions I've heard. It's silly but it is.

I never liked the way Afternoon In The Garden was mixed. Also Aloha could have been done better but I don't want to complain. This one sounds "real" if you know what I mean. Something between a soundboard with a touch of audience.[/quote]

Can you please describe the sound mix/instrument balance?

I'd say the mix focusses pretty much on bass and drums. I'm missing JB a little bit. Femals voices are strong. The orchestra sounds as if its a little behind the band IMO which is cool. About Elvis' voice: My impression is that it isn't more in front than on e.g. Afternoon. It sounds cool.

The organ can be heard pretty good at leat on the introductions. I haven't tried to notice it in every single track yet.

All in all a great box set. Better IMO than TTAF. I like the idea of focussing on different aspects, "stereo" 50ies masters, movie gems, Nashville (great takes to be found here which I didn't expect, and the 1972 concert.

More to come later ...

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:34 pm

In my opinion, the crowd's reactions to the show are the best ever released.
Right at the beginning there's no doubt Elvis taking the stage. The crowd goes wild!!
I like this mix, although sometimes Elvis voice is a little bit in the background (if I compare for example Burning Love on this to the same performance in On Tour)

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:42 pm

Edwin wrote:In my opinion, the crowd's reactions to the show are the best ever released.
Right at the beginning there's no doubt Elvis taking the stage. The crowd goes wild!!

Absolutely! The cool thing is you can hear them cheer first on the right and then suddenly the whole building takes over, that sounds so cool ...

About Burning Love: I don't think you can compare it to the mono-mix of the film. What I like about Burning Love is that there're instruments I didn't hear before. It sounds much better than on film IMO.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:36 am

who mixed this?

jorgenson said it was mixed by Sony. Does this mean that Ferrante didn't mix this one?!!!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:54 am

Actually....

The version of "Burning Love" on the "Elvis: On Tour" laserdisc I have is full stereo with great separation.

Can't wait to hear the whole concert, though.