Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Anyone read Nash's new book yet?

Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:31 am

I was in Border's book store the other day and noticed it on the shelf. I'm unfamiliar with Nash's competence as an Elvis biographer but I sat down to read bits and pieces of it. The couple things that I did pick up were that the Colonel was only in it for the money, especially in the touring at the end, and that Elvis received huge offers to go overseas, which excited E', but the Colonel declined every one of them. I did read the entire chapter on Elvis' death which brought a tear to my eye. 'nuff said!

Darrell

Re: Anyone read Nash's new book yet?

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:26 am

Darrell wrote:I'm unfamiliar with Nash's competence as an Elvis biographer ...

Alanna Nash is extremely competent.

Rather than flipping through a few pages, I recomend buying the new biography and 1995's "Elvis Aaron Presley - Revelations From The Memphis Mafia."

You'll gain a greater understanding of our hero and his amazing, tragic career.

God bless!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:19 am

EIN (http://www.elvis.com.au) will be posting a detailed review of The Colonel on its site today

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:32 am

You actually stood or sat in the bookstore and read a complete chapter. You cheapskate!
Do as the Dr ordered. Buy the book and buy the Memphis Mafia book, too. You won't be disappointed.

jeff R

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:16 am

cheapskates unite!! I checked it out at the library.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:26 am

Jeffery- Apparently you're not familiar with the Borders' experience. You go out and sit and look at books and magazines and drink and eat or socialize. Then if you want you buy something. To me it's a good deal because you're not going in blind. They're not losing money.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:52 am

I just read EINs review. The Colonel was allegedly a murderer and an Army deserter, discharged for mental illness. I can't wait to get the book. Sounds amazing. Has the charges against the Col. been published before? :lol:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:05 am

I haven't read it yet but I'm sure it's a fascinating read. To change the subject a little and this might only apply to older EP fans, does anybody remember when "Elvis, what happened" came out in 77 and fans were actually gluing pages together at the book stores? I don't think that will happen with the Colonel's book however.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:58 am

From the EIN review
"""
But be warned, Alanna Nash's tightly woven story includes 'truths' that many Elvis fans won't want to read, or believe.
"""
I can hear the anti-Nash knives being sharpened clear acroos the Pacific and Atalantic from down-under :lol:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:36 am

KiwiAlan wrote:From the EIN review
"""
But be warned, Alanna Nash's tightly woven story includes 'truths' that many Elvis fans won't want to read, or believe.
"""
I can hear the anti-Nash knives being sharpened clear acroos the Pacific and Atalantic from down-under :lol:

I very much agree with Kiwi's remarks about some fan's not wanting to "read, or believe" the "truth."

Another excerpt from a review of the Nash Col. book:

"By the time Nash is through, the reader is ready to believe that Parker was capable of almost anything - including the unsolved murder of a grocer's wife back in his native Holland, a case she makes on the thinnest of circumstantial evidence.

The Colonel is not great biography, by any stretch. But if anyone ever deserved such a thorough hatchet job, it's probably Tom Parker."

My book has been ordered ......... eagerly awaiting it. I suspect is will be as controversial as the author's previous one "Revealations" and even more "myths" will be spawned from kernels of "truth."

Ahhh, ........ what a glorious time to be an Elvis-fan. :lol:

N8
... just a fan ....

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:30 am

N880EP wrote:Another excerpt from a review of the Nash Col. book ...

What is the source of your quote? The review reads like a "hatchet job."

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
N880EP wrote:Another excerpt from a review of the Nash Col. book ...

What is the source of your quote? The review reads like a "hatchet job."

Jim Haner, The Baltimore Sun, June 29, 2003

Review is also up at (July 1st Update):

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/elnews.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will read the book myself and form my own opinions.

N8
... just a fan ....

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:59 am

Thank you, N8. I plan to do the same when the book is made available.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:28 pm

Amber wrote:I just read EINs review. The Colonel was allegedly a murderer and an Army deserter, discharged for mental illness. I can't wait to get the book. Sounds amazing. Has the charges against the Col. been published before? :lol:

On page 42 the book says "There is not a single shred of evidence to tie Andre van Kuijk to the murder of Anna van den Enden. His name does not appear anywhere in the police report" et cetera and then simply because he left the day after the murder he is the "possible" murderer.

It is very easy to accuse people after they died! Do it when they are alive with NO EVIDENCE AT ALL and you get sued so fast you do not know what hit ya. But now she can fill her pockets with $$$$$ without problems.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:39 pm

Luuk wrote:It is very easy to accuse people after they died! Do it when they are alive with NO EVIDENCE AT ALL and you get sued so fast you do not know what hit ya. But now she can fill her pockets with $$$$$ without problems.

It is very easy to condemn a book if one has not yet read it.

It's the second day in July -- the official release date is the fifteenth -- are we to believe that you've absorbed all 446 pages, including the FIFTY pages of acknowledgements and reference endnotes? Don't make me laugh.

EIN's Web site [ http://www.elvis.com.au/ein/publish/rev ... onel.shtml ] rejects your "NO EVIDENCE" claim:

'The Colonel' was <b>rigorously researched</b>. Fifty pages are devoted to acknowledgments (11pp) and reference endnotes (39pp)! In addition, Ms Nash managed to access what is left of the Colonel's US Army records including his discharge because of mental illness. Her endeavours also involved reading the 130 page police report on the death of Anna van Enden, obtaining a psychological profile of the Colonel and interviewing countless people who knew and/or worked for Elvis and the Colonel.

It would be nice if all the ignorant pontificators regarding this new and very exciting biography would shut their yappers until August, when we will ALL have had a chance to see what Alanna Nash's five plus YEARS of investigating has uncovered.

Good night!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:04 am

John, if you read the EIN review you will see it is based on an Advance Readers Copy. Nigel tells me he read the whole book a month ago.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:55 am

The thing is, who gives a sh1t about the 50 pages of references and research notes if the text itself does not make an intelligent reading of them. Certainly one cannot make an informed judgement on a whole book until it has been read, but if individual errors or misinterpretations come to light then one does not have to have read all 446 pages in order to highlight this. Alannah Nash's previous book was an interesting read, and I look forward to reading this one.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:21 am

You people tire me out.

Nash's <u>many</u> published works -- and her TWO previous Elvis-themed efforts -- speak for themselves. Her substantial acknowledgements and reference endnotes indicate that "The Colonel" will be cut from the same cloth.

And THAT is the point, Stephen. "Give a sh1t," if you can loosen up enough.

Pip pip!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:26 am

No, Dr. Carpenter, THAT is NOT the point. You are obviously too "tired out" to read my post properly. I said that I don't give a sh1t whether there are 50 or 500 pages of references in the book if she then proceeds to misinterpret the information that she has carefully researched. That is not a judgement on the book itself, merely a statement that references themselves are meaningless.

Interesting that you suggest that I "loosen up"! Read any of your own posts lately?

If you are tired, go get some sleep, you might then post some sense.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:30 am

Dr. John Carpenter, I have an "advance uncorrected reader's proof".
The fact Ms. Nash wrote "excellent" books does not automatically mean all her books are excellent.
Elvis recorded great songs but also "A dog's life" and "Old MacDonald".

Ms. Nash reminds me of the police investigators that lead to people being innocent going to jail for a long time until a good lawyer manages to get them out because the whole investigation was wrong.
If at one point she writes (see for yourself on page 42 !!!) that there is no shred of evidence and nowhere in the police reports Andre van Kuijk is mentioned, moments later she claims "it is suspicious he left Holland a day after the murder" so he COULD BE guilty.

There is a lot of "possible" and "perhaps" in the book. If something cannot be verified, leave it out! But I think the murder rumours is the $elling point of the book.