Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Do You prefer 2-track binaural versions to the "original" versions?

Yes, as far as there're binaural versions existing, I prefer them to the mono-versions. Elvis' voice can be heard much better this way
72%
No, I like the original mono versions better. Can't get used to the strange sound of Elvis on the one ear and the music on the other
17%
I don't care, I still can remix them to mono if I want to
11%

Total votes : 18

2-track binaural versions: What do you say?

Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:22 pm

To my knowledge the upcoming Up Close boxset features some more 2-track binaural versions of Elvis' songs. Do you like the idea of a "faked" stereo effect or not?

Personally I prefer mono-recordings to the binaural versions. Though Elvis' voice can be heard much clearer this way, I can't get used to the strange sound. I've just remixed the Essential Elvis Vol. 2 (Stereo '57) songs to "original" mono and I think they sound better this way. So, on the other hand it's pretty cool to have 2-track recordings since I can remix them the way I like.

What's your opinion and why?

Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:58 pm

Binaural is not "faked stereo".

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:27 pm

Spellbinder wrote:Binaural is not "faked stereo".

Well, as long as you think of stereo as being a 2 track source it probably is "stereo". On the other hand audio engineering knows the term of the "degree of correlation". As soon as this degree has the value 0 (two channels contain totally different signals) it does no longer qualify as a "stereo" signal.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:30 am

I don't care for binaural. Oh, it won't stop me from buying "Close Up" but I won't be standing in line the first day just because there are binaural tracks included. I'm sure I'll play disc one a couple of times after I buy the box set and then I won't play again for years much like "Stereo ' 57".

Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:51 am

<To my knowledge the upcoming Up Close boxset features some more 2-track binaural versions of Elvis' songs. Do you like the idea of a "faked" stereo effect or not?

We've been through this ad nauseum but I guess we have to do it all over again.

These recordings are not true stereo, they are not binaural and they are not fake stereo.

Binaural is a mix recorded with two mics placed similarly to the two ears of a person, and intended for headphone listening, so the listener can hear what a person attending the performance would hear.

Stereo is a mix with discrete left and right information, along with information that is equally applied to both left and right channels, so that the listener detects the appearance of left, right and center.

Faked stereo is taking a mono recording and processing it for two channels to simulate a stereo effect.

The Elvis recordings in question, most of them, are just twin track mixes with Elvis' voice in one channel and the band in the other channel. However, Love Me Tender and several other of these recordings as released on CD by BMG are true stereo by any definition. They contain Elvis' voice equally in both channels, and different discrete information on both left and right. They are not faked or contrived in any way, it is real and untampered.

You can argue about the semantics of this all day with regards to whether they are stereo or binaural or whatever, but calling them fake is just plain WRONG. There is nothing fake about them, and fake stereo applies to a specific process where mono masters are manipulated to sound stereo.

Greg

Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:10 am

I dislike MONO, The so called Binaural sound OK to me. When I listen to stereo 57 I don't hear Elvis on one side and the music on the other side.
I hear Elvis on one side and the music on both sides???
Do I have a hearing problem LOL

:D

Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:28 am

<When I listen to stereo 57 I don't hear Elvis on one side and the music on the other side. I hear Elvis on one side and the music on both sides???
Do I have a hearing problem LOL

Sam,

Your hearing is just fine. Elvis liked to sing in the same room as the band when the songs were recorded, so the microphone Elvis used picked up a considerable amount of room ambience and bleed from the other instruments, so on the side you hear Elvis on, you can hear the band in a quiet and distant fashion when Elvis isn't singing loudly. Even in Elvis' last sessions in '76, he still preferred to record in a 'live' setting with the band in the same room instead of having the band record the tracks separately and overdubbing the vocals later, as many artists like to do.

Greg

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:04 pm

Greg wrote:Faked stereo is taking a mono recording and processing it for two channels to simulate a stereo effect.

Hmmh, it looks like I misinterpreted the term of "faked stereo" somehow. I didn't know that it was the English expression for the processing of a mono recording to simulate stereo. I simply wanted to say that these binaural tracks have nothing to do with my own imagination of a stereo track. So there two mono channels put together in one track. Okay, what does it have to do with stereo? Nothing except the fact that it needs two speakers and two ears to listen to it.

Like you said: "Stereo is a mix with discrete left and right information, along with information that is equally applied to both left and right channels ..." So the binaural tracks somehow "fake" it. That was what I wanted to say. People tend to think it's stereo but it isn't of course. That's the reason I prefer mono.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:11 pm

You don't need two ears to listen to two speakers.

And, no matter how you wrap it up, there is nothing "fake" about these Elvis binaural releases.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:45 pm

The write-up in "Close Up" does indicate that these tracks are not true stereo but binaural (makes a distinction between the two).
I don't know about all that but having heard "Peace In The Valley", "Treat Me Nice" (First Movie Version) and "Jailhouse Rock" presented in this format my impression is that I've never heard them sound better (I'm just talking about these three tracks).
Particularly Jailhouse Rock. I believe the drums were recorded on the same track as Elvis' voice... this is the case for "Treat Me Nice" as well.
You can hear all of the instruments quite clearly and gives a more "real studio sound" than the mono recording (JMO).
It is a more complete listening experience than what you hear on "Stereo 57" or the other tracks on the same CD like Have I Told You Lately, It Is So Strange and a couple others.
Jailhouse Rock and Treat Me Nice are in perfect sound and worth the price of the whole collection (again JMO).
:D

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:47 pm

Spellbinder wrote:You don't need two ears to listen to two speakers.

And, no matter how you wrap it up, there is nothing "fake" about these Elvis binaural releases.

LOL! No, you don't need two ears to listen to two speakers, that's right. But you need to ears to listen "stereo". As much as you need to eyes to see in 3 dimensions. But anyway, you're right and we're finished with this. That's all right with me. I've noticed that Elvis-fans often seem to have a problem with different opinions than their own and arguments they simpy can't follow so I better stop here ...

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:23 am

If we need two ears to listen to stereo. How many ears do we need to listen to 5.1 surround? Where do we get the extras from?....LOL

:lol:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:03 am

i like the twin track tapes better than the mono.
i like the sepration through headphones.
early 60's lps were recorded on twin track machines.
if you read the beatles sessions book from 88 their songs were cut on twin tracks and remixed.
i don't like reprocedsed stereo or fake mono.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:43 am

sam wrote:If we need two ears to listen to stereo. How many ears do we need to listen to 5.1 surround? Where do we get the extras from?....LOL
:lol:

Hmmh, that's indeed interesting. Since 5.1 surround is in fact a 3-dimensional listening experience "only" two ears are needed to listen to it. One value and two variables are enough to calculate the third variable (in a room which is - as we all know - three-dimensional). Your brain adds the third dimension that two ears simply can't deliver.

Now about stereo: If you have one ear and listen to a stereo signal through headphones, one ear surely isn't enough :). On the other hand one should think that if you turn around 90 degress in front of your speakers one ear should be enough to differ between he right and left channel or front and rear respectively (if you turn around 90 degress to the left) ... :?

So, is it possible to listen to stereo with only one ear? I don't know. Any answers anyone?