Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis The Definitive Collection of DVD's

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:23 am

Does anybody know where you can buy the Elvis Definitive Collection of DVD's at a decent price? I have head that is is some of Elvis' greatest performances.

This is my frist post here so if I did it wrong... :oops: sorry. Would even consider buying remakes.. Really want to see DVD's Thanks Much, Dovey :lol:

Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:47 am

If it's the PASSPORT VIDEO collection, buy with confidence.

Anything that EPE sues over... :lol:

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:18 am

The Definitive Collection is a documentry. It's mostly talking heads and not much Elvis music. If you're looking to find a dvd with Elvis performances you don't need it. Try Great Performances Volumes 1-3, Aloha From Hawaii, '68 Comeback Special or That's The Way It Is SE.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:37 pm

Actually, the Passport Video set is very well done and to their credit, they use plenty of real footage of Elvis talking and singing to break up the "talking heads." It's not definitive in the sense of getting all of his best performances but it tells his life story about as good as anything short of "This Is Elvis" and a few others.

To me, "documentary" is not a dirty word - especially when Elvis is concerned.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:17 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Actually, the Passport Video set is very well done and to their credit, they use plenty of real footage of Elvis talking and singing to break up the "talking heads." It's not definitive in the sense of getting all of his best performances but it tells his life story about as good as anything short of "This Is Elvis" and a few others.

I never said it wasn't a good documentry. I said it's not a good choice if you want see performances.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:21 pm

It's a fair and excellent documentary. As far as performance video's go, it's not the ultimate that's for sure.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:32 pm

Marko, I'm just saying no fan should be warned away from the Passport collection.

I assume that no one on this forum is such a total novice as to not want to hear about Elvis' life from those those knew or worked with him.

Incidentally, the following thread about the "Classic Album" DVD actually has some good information on the Passport and other essential Elvis DVDs:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:54 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Image

Marko, I'm just saying no fan should be warned away from the Passport collection.

I assume that no one on this forum is such a total novice as to not want to hear about Elvis' life from those those knew or worked with him.

Incidentally, the following thread about the "Classic Album" DVD actually has some good information on the Passport and other essential Elvis DVDs:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

It is a good documentry but if he's looking for Elvis performances he's going to be dissapointed. That's all.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:20 pm

Is this the one that was initially withdrawn? Was it then put back with less substance? What's the history here?

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Is this the one that was initially withdrawn? Was it then put back with less substance? What's the history here?

EPE went after the company that released this one claiming they fringed their copyright. Some of them material was then removed but I seem to recall that the amount of removed material was very small.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Is this the one that was initially withdrawn? Was it then put back with less substance? What's the history here?

Yes it is. I believe they didn't have authorization to use some of the material, that being footage, musical rights. If I'm not mistaken they were taken to court over this and lost. I watched the original series (16 hours) and it was excellent, really informative with a lot of great interviews, though some of the footage was a little redundant.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:27 pm

Yes, it is surprisingly good. One assumes that a fan will know to get things like "Elvis '56" or "This Is Elvis" or "'68 Comeback" or "Aloha" first but I suppose it's worth noting that it's heavy on photographs, and interviews. I thought it was quite artful how they managed to keep the "real Elvis" in most segments by strategic usage of footage and sound they could muster from trailers, etc.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:07 pm

Speaking of documentries (sp?) I find that the He Touched Me film is the best that has been done yet. It is the only one that has managed to make me a little misty at times during the viewing. It also contains some awsome footage from EOT that is not released on any other official DVD.

Selling mine

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:41 am

I am selling my copy of this documentary as well as an 8 title lot of FTD's in the trade section.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:07 am

This documentary(s) is crap!

As been mentioned - to much talking heads.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:03 am

Vincent wrote:This documentary(s) is crap!

If anyone is looking to buy this collection, send Vincent a pm. Sounds like you can get a good deal on his set.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:49 am

Once you put aside the fact that it's not a set to go to for Elvis performances, it's far from crap. There are some great interviews, including some with people who have rarely, if ever, appeared on any other documentary.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:00 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Yes, it is surprisingly good. One assumes that a fan will know to get things like "Elvis '56" or "This Is Elvis" or "'68 Comeback" or "Aloha" first but I suppose it's worth noting that it's heavy on photographs, and interviews. I thought it was quite artful how they managed to keep the "real Elvis" in most segments by strategic usage of footage and sound they could muster from trailers, etc.

Greg.........I'm your friend, you know that.

And, as your friend, I must say.........

Get rid of that horrendous avatar!!!!! :wink:

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:02 am

Rob wrote:If anyone is looking to buy this collection, send Vincent a pm. Sounds like you can get a good deal on his set.

Definite, I'll exchange it for almost anything.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 am

TJ wrote:

Once you put aside the fact that it's not a set to go to for Elvis performances, it's far from crap. There are some great interviews, including some with people who have rarely, if ever, appeared on any other documentary.

Well, said, TJ. It's ludicrous to call it crap. :roll:

Scatter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Yes, it is surprisingly good. One assumes that a fan will know to get things like "Elvis '56" or "This Is Elvis" or "'68 Comeback" or "Aloha" first but I suppose it's worth noting that it's heavy on photographs, and interviews. I thought it was quite artful how they managed to keep the "real Elvis" in most segments by strategic usage of footage and sound they could muster from trailers, etc.

Greg.........I'm your friend, you know that.

And, as your friend, I must say.........

Get rid of that horrendous avatar!!!!! :wink:

Wha, Scat, you don't like Turkish Elvis album covers? :lol:

I actually got a compliment or two. That bad boy from would set you back 200 clams!

But consider it gone for now. :D

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:43 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Actually, the Passport Video set is very well done and to their credit, they use plenty of real footage of Elvis talking and singing to break up the "talking heads." It's not definitive in the sense of getting all of his best performances but it tells his life story about as good as anything short of "This Is Elvis" and a few others.

I also wholeheartedly agree. This is an excellent documentary. :smt038

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:44 am

TJ wrote:Once you put aside the fact that it's not a set to go to for Elvis performances, it's far from crap. There are some great interviews, including some with people who have rarely, if ever, appeared on any other documentary.

Perhaps "crap" isn't the right definition. I just find it not worthy enough recommending. There're better documentaries, for example; "The Great Performances".

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:25 pm

]Thanks for all the comments... I guess that I goofed up because this is the one that I bourght. Got it from Ebay but have not watch it yet.. (came in mail yesterday) Wish I would of read your comments first.

Oh well, I will watch them and then look for one where Elvis gives his perforances... that is what I thought these were :oops:

Thanks again, next time I will wait for a reply first ha ha :wink: Dovey