Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Which Version?

Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:24 pm

I am compiling a cdr and was wandering which live versions would you consider to be the best of the following:-

1.America
2.My Boy
3.My Way
4.Softly As I Leave You

Thanks In Advance Paul

Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:47 pm

“America” was performed consistently well during the summer of 1976, so there are a number of options available. The DAE CD “Old Times They Are Not Forgotten” includes a good performance of the song from Tuscaloosa on August 30, 1976 that also features a “Hurt” style reprise, and this would be my choice.

I would choose the version of “My Boy” from the FTD CD Dixieland Rocks as this one has excellent sound quality, and is also a good performance.

Many people on this message board will disagree with me on this, but I prefer Elvis’ January, 14th 1973 performance of “My Way” to the later versions. I think the arrangement on this version is much better, and the performance has an understated quality that wasn’t present in the later versions.

The December 13, 1975 Las Vegas recording of “Softly” that RCA issued as a single in 1978 is the best I’ve heard. If you have the Fort Baxter CD “Just Pretend” I would choose this source, rather than the RCA version, as the quality is slightly better, and the performance doesn’t suffer from the awful overdubbed applause that RCA felt it was necessary to add at the time.

AGREE WITH ROCKIN'

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:16 am

on MY WAY and SOFTLY AS I LEAVE YOU! As for MY BOY, well all right!
AMERICA is well presented on LIVE IN LAS VEGAS as well!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:01 pm

There's something about My Boy on the Las Vegas box that moves me more than tthan Dixieland Rocks. I can't expalin it too well, but it's the point where he holds the note towards the end of the song and it blends with Kathy Westmorelands high note, it's a truly awsome moment. It's not achieved as well on Dixieland Rocks, but I do agree the recording quality is better.

It would be a tough call for me to choose. But I thought I'd throw it in the pot anyway!

Great idea though!