Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Close Up - Treat Me Nice - take 12 announcement (mistake ?)

Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:13 pm

Close Up announces the second Movie version of Treat Me Nice (cd 1- track 17) as take 12. The liner notes however states this to be take 13.

Was BMG incorrect ?

In my view BMG was incorrect and not the announcer (for a change). Even though he messed up with 2009 instead of 2008 cat.announcement. Take 13 of the second movie version runs for less then 2 min, while this unedited take 13 runs for 2.41.

In addition no earlier mistakes in take announcements of this session has been made, take 10, 11 +12 were announced correctly) and even an edited version of take 12 does not compare to the shorter take 13, used for the spliced master.

Just a minor complaint to an overall great boxset.

Any other views?

Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:10 am

Thnx for the info E-Cat.....you rock buddy!!!

the squirrel

Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:42 am

Hi E-Cat,
very interessting question!!
Hope I will get soon my Close Up Set so I can hear this Treat me nice take.
Also all the other great tracks ;-)
Andy-M.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:52 pm

Well the "good" thing about these kind of mistakes is that it forces you listen to the takes real well instead of taking all liner notes for granted.
It is always amazing to see how sloppy some cd's are being released, both official and import cd's. But again, the Close Up boxset is not to be missed in any collection. In particular, I do enjoy Young & Beautifull - Take 21 ...a real GEM. In addition, Ask Me (take 7) could well have been the alt. master take. But there is much more to enjoy.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:22 pm

Hi E-Cat,
you are 100% right.
It is fun to discover strange takes or tracks issued by mistakes.
Can't wait to get the Close Up Box Set.
Andy-M.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:46 am

If you listen closely, the track contains False Start 12 and the complete take 13; Thorne's announcement for 13 is there after the breakdown. Great takes of one of my favorite Elvis tracks!!!

Mike C