Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis cd cover photo's trend?

Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:40 am

This is just something that I have noticed on several cd covers in the last few years. I am talking about live pictures of elvis that are of sub-standard quality. Check out the cover of "tigerman", his face is distorted. Same with the 2-cd set memories of the 68 special. The 70's box set one is a strange choice. the one on the new close-up box is taken at a weird angle. I have seen, and you have too probably, hundreds of awesome in concert shots that could be used as a cd cover and yet they use what I see as the worse possible shot. Maybe Ernst thinks these shots are different or artsy, I don't know, its just something I have noticed. I know the music is the main thing, but a good cover shot looks better in stores and can help sales.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:03 am

Well, I have to say, when I looked at the front of Today, Tomorrow and forever box set, i blew me totally away - this was one of the best cover shot ever !! I thought it was awesome ...

Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:31 pm

I think effects are added to the photographs from time to time, but I think the standard of BMG’s artwork generally has improved considerably since Ernst has been involved with the Elvis releases. I also think that the “Close Up” cover shot is very effective, and I think the “TT&F” artwork also worked well. The image on the “Memories” CD is a little out of focus, but for me this fits the concept of the CD, as you are instantly reminded of the opening sequence from the TV special which wasn’t short on action.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:43 pm

well the pictures are getting kinda old also.. and over time trying to improve them also makes them look distorted as well

Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:50 pm

No, no, no, no - I disagree! Since The 50´s box set the covers & photos have mostly been excellent on both BMG and FTD releases (and "commerical" too, for that matter): Suspicious Minds, Memories, Afternoon in The Garden, Rhythm & Country - beautiful! Sometimes I think choices of pictures have been strange (Spring Tours - the worst they could find?), but the only one I really don´t like is Dragon Heart: I´m sorry but the front still looks horrible to me (back- and inside is better)... one of the worst CD sleeves I´ve seen in a long time! But really, IMO we don´t have much reason whatsoever to complain about the artwork!