Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Brown Eyed Handsome Man

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:45 am

Has Elvis ever actually recorded Brown Eyed Handsome Man.
I have a cd with him fooling around with the song.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:49 am

I think the Million Dollar Quartet is the best you'll find of him singing this song. :)

8)

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:25 pm

Elvis is the king...........but Macca's version of Brown Eyed Handsome Man is the best...IMHO...

the squirrel
Last edited by the squirrel on Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:22 pm

The song was performed during the informal “Million Dollar Quartet” session at Sun Studios, Memphis on December 4, 1956. Elvis didn’t cut the song at any of his RCA sessions, so the MDQ tape is the only recording that has surfaced so far. The session was issued by RCA on the CD “The Million Dollar Quartet” (74321138402) and an additional performance from the same sessions; “Reconsider Baby” was issued on the ‘50’s box set. Ernst hinted that BMG might have acquired a new source tape for the MDQ sessions when a slightly different version of “Don’t Forbid Me/You Belong To My Heart” was issued on the “Today, Tomorrow, and Forever” box set, so it’s possible that a more complete version of this legendary jam session could be issued in the future.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:47 am

Maybe a month ago another website spliced together the scattered segments of that song recorded at those sessions, and the finished product sounded pretty cool!

Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:15 pm

This reminds me of the times I used my reel-to-reel tape-recorder and produced my own versions of Elvis-songs totally manually,using my listening instincts and sometimes having more luck than could be expected.One of the first ones was One Broken Heart For Sale,where I took the vinyl 45 and intercut the part of the film soundtrack which contained the verse that was missing from the vinyl version.Of course, today we have the long version from BMG,but in those days it was unbelievably funny to have this extended version.

Later I made my own version of Brown-Eyed Handsome Man,using a cd and succeeding in making a listenable track which I really liked.Using a computer today would render it easy to make a good version of the track.
I absolutely recommend BMG to release it in a home-recording-like way.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:35 am

the squirrel wrote:Elvis is the king...........but Macca's version of Brown Eyed Handsome Man is the best...IMHO...

Greenie -

Chuck Berry's 1956 recording is far superior -- and HE wrote it.

I'd even rate Buddy Holly's undubbed garage recording from back then better than Paul McCartney's later re-do.

IMHO...

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:59 am

Elvis is fooling around with the lyrics of Brown Eyed Handsome Man on the Million $ Quartet CD, and also Buddy Holly changed the lyrics (if only a bit). I also prefer Holly's version of this great song over McCartney's any day.

A cool site for the Holly fans among us (like myself):
http://www.chez.com/gvignal/homepage.htm

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:20 am

Cool site!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:53 am

Hey Doc....

Were all entitled to our opinion!!..........Even YOU!!

LOL

the squirrel
Last edited by the squirrel on Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:59 am

Sq who the F*** told you that???.... LMFAO

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:36 am

the squirrel wrote:Were [ sic ] all entitled to our opinion!!

That is quite true.

What is also valid is that an intelligent opinion -- see any of my posts -- is of much greater value than one from an uninformed person.

Hi Doc

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:06 am

Hi There,

You are right about one thing Doc, the Squirrel don't know sh*t abot anything cause I have told him nothing.

Hawky,

The one who knows, what the Squirrel says he knows, about what the doc kids us all on he really knows...

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:12 am

Doc....

There's nothing worse than those that don't know.......and don't know that they don't know!!

the squirrel