Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis meeting Elton John

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:58 pm

Here's an excerpt to the recent Lisa Marie interview (Rolling Stone - April 2003):

She loved her father's music. "I was always excited if I was on tour with him," she remembers. "When he'd come on, I would just lose it . . . you know." But there were others fighting for her affection as a fan. She favored David and Shaun Cassidy, as well as Elton John. "One Christmas I asked for Elton John albums," she says, "and my dad was sitting there when I opened them up and was, 'Who the hell is this son of a bitch?' and walked out. And then he got some of the records -- 'Who is my daughter interested in besides me?' -- and I think he went to see him live, to check out who he was."

Is this story true? Did Elvis really attend to an Elton John show? Did they met?

Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:27 pm

I don't know about Elvis having attended an Elton John concert, but I do remember reading somewhere that Elton made one- maybe two visits to Graceland at Lisa's request (was it a birthday request?). I also think Elton had made a comment or two about Elvis' declined health at the time. Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Nashnet

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:42 pm

did'nt Elton John attended an Elvis concert and they meet backstage ??

Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:01 pm

Landover, Maryland during the summer tour in 1976. He went to see Elvis back stage and tried to give him a hug (spelling?) but Elvis pushed him away. :) He later attended the evening show which supposedly was one of the best shows on that tour.

Sincerely MB280E

Ps! Like Elvis, I´m no big fan of Elton John either. :)

Elton John Meets Elvis

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:33 am

The title of this thread should be "Elton John Meets Elvis" and not the other way around. Just like it would be "Morrissey meets the President", or "Morrissey meets the Queen". The title of the thread as it stands makes it sound like Elvis was the lucky one!

Re: Elton John Meets Elvis

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:27 am

Regarding Elvis checking out an Elton concert .................... anything is indeed possible ........... AND ............ in this case, very likely based upon LMP's ( :wink: ) words.

Some think that we know just about everything there is to know about Elvis. NOT TRUE, at all; one reason for it, is because some of those who were around Elvis speak with absolute "authority" on issues that they are/were in no position to know about 100% (their own "assumptions" become their "reality", ....... that, and the simple fact that very few were actually around Elvis 24/7).

When different versions of the same story exist, it is probably because there are elements of "truth" to each. This is one reason why confirmation of "stories" with multiple sources is so important. The "truth" is often like a puzzle, with different people having different pieces to it. One does, of course, have to be careful, because "myth" invariably creeps in ........... and/or .......... the people telling the stories are human (age & memory are factors) and various MMM's can and do insert themselves into situations that they were not present at .... OR ....... twist the small details and their own role in the events. JMO.

N8
... just a fan ....

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:50 pm

Sad but true story..

I once saw Elton John being interviewed on breafast tv here in the UK in roughly the late 80's/early 90's....... he said that he was taking a flight from JFK Airport in 1976 and he saw Elvis there and that they'd had a brief chat...

What was sad was that he said.......... that- when he shook Elvis's hand,, he looked into his eyes and he said it was like looking into emptiness, and that all he could sense was that Elvis was a very sad, and lonely man.

the squirrel

Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:33 pm

MB; where did you read or hear that Elvis pushed Elton away from him? I´ve never heard that before; it seems a very rude thing to do (even if Elvis wasn´t a fan!) and does not sound like Elvis at all... Elton himself has stated that they met briefly backstage, shook hands and exchanged a few words... I think Elton asked to Elvis to sing his favorite song "Heartbreak Hotel".

Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:15 pm

I think Lisa might just have a rather active imagination.

While Elvis may have been cacooned to some extent he certainly would have been aware of Elton John.

Rather precocious too - if she was into David Cassidy :!: Considering his year of fame was 1972 when Lisa was 4.

I could imagine Elvis calling Cassidy son of a bitch (don't we all) but Elton John - never.

And unless Elton John played Vegas are now expected to believe that Elvis sneaked into stadium shows?

Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:39 pm

I remember liking Elvis from the time I was 6, so I don't think it is far-fetched for a 9-year-old to like Elton John. At any rate, it is anyone's guess as to what really happened when Elton met Elvis. I have seen stories in which Elton has mentioned the "emptiness" of Elvis's look.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:09 am

I liked Europe Final Countdown when I was 6

It happened.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:53 am

If Lisa says ........... "...I think he went to see him live, to check out who he was..." , I certainly take her at her word.

As "KHoots" states, age doesn't have anything to do with it, ........ I've also been an Elvis fan since I was at least 6 years old (took a lot of knocks for it growing up, too .......... especially after Elvis died ....... in fact, I still get occassional "idiot" remarks, ........... but, so it goes ....... :wink: )

Lisa confirms that Elvis was interested in Elton from the perspective that his daughter was into his music .............. and Elton speaks of meeting Elvis ................. that's enough for me. I honestly couldn't care less, ....... but as far as I'm concerned, it happened.

N8
... just a fan ....

Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:49 am

Don't pay attention to Kiwi alan. he has it in for Lisa.

Lisa was a fan of David Cassidy's. Some of his records were found in Elvis's record collection, the partridge family was a popular show and Cassidy was popular up until around 1976-1977. She was also a fan of Elton johns and I can picture Elvis saying that. She does not say he did go to one of Eltons shows. She said she thinks he did. Maybe she was told that.

Elton did not visit Lisa at graceland or go to one of her birthdays and Elvis did not push Elton away. Those two things are myths.

Elton and Elvis met in june 1976 and Elton has said Elvis looked like an ad for death.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:59 am

My recollection was that the two E's met after Elvis' June 28, 1976 performance, at the behest of Lisa.
And I can't subscribe to the claim that Elvis didn't know Elton John. Listen again to `Dinner At Eight' where is apparently handed big glasses (you've probably seen the photos) and then says Elton John. He may even try to impersonate Elton in the next few lines of the song.
rick

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:52 pm

I think Lisa`s memory is probably as bad as all the "good ole boys" who surrounded Elvis.

But as i`ve said before on this board, Elton John described Elvis` appearance as like that of a "beached whale". I remember pinning the page of this interview to my dart board as a kid, and taking great delight in throwing darts at Johns ugly kisser! The little twerp has been on my sh*t list ever since.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:29 pm

I´m certainly not a big Elton John fan myself, but we´ve got to remember one thing; Elton was a fan of the 50´s Elvis, and meeting The King for the first time in the summer of ´76 - possibly his worst-looking period ever (apart from May 1977...) - is it so strange that he was somewhat shocked? And to his credit, he has said several times that in the late 80´s he was himself in the same bad state as Elvis was when they met...