Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Are You Lonesome Tonight Copyright

Post by likethebike »

I was reading the Rick Schmidlin interview on the EIN site and one comment really floored. Schmidlin commented that he couldn't "Are You Lonesome To-Night?" for his video, not because of a money dispute but because the owners of the song are not "Elvis friendly"!!!

Leaving aside the fact that an 80-year-old song has no business still being in copyright, it just amazes me how demented these copyright owners can be. How could the owner of "Are You Lonesome To-Night?" not be Elvis friendly? The only reason this antique has any currency in the 21st century is because Elvis Presley made a hit with it. When somebody sings this song today they are covering Elvis Presley and Elvis' version generates 99 percent of the attention this song gets because it seldom gets covered because it creaks as a song. Only one artist could pull any mileage out of this baby. Before Elvis did his version in 1960, this was what you could call a known song but it was far from a standard. As a song it was corny in 1960. Elvis came and dusted it out of mothballs and his version generated millions upon millions in royalties that the song would have never generated otherwise and gave it permanent shelf-life at a moment it close to being lost to history. And yet the owners of the piece think they can do better. It baffles me. It's like saying a farm isn't fond off good soil.

Perhaps the owners of the song have changed since the interview was done in 2000 as "AYLT" made the 68 special DVD in 2004. I hope so.Those idiots don't deserve to make another nickel.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

LTB - I think they are anti Elvis depending of the version in question.

If Elvis perorms a heart felt rendition then it gets the thumbs up, but if he fools around with it and mocks it then its a no-go.

This is for video / DVD only as far as I know. Maybe the CD / record agreement is a longer one thats still in place.

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

"1950: Are You Lonesome Tonight? - To many people, the only recording of this song that they are familiar with is the one done by Elvis Presley. As we remember this king of rock and roll, who died on August 16, 1977, let us not forget that he idolized our own Al Jolson, who died almost 27 years before, on October 23, 1950. Just listening to Jolson's recording of this classic number illustrates this dramatically!"

You can listen to Jolson's version. You may need to search for the song.
http://www.jolson.org/works/studio/perm/ajperm.html

One of my earliest memories of Jolson was galloping home after seeing a western at the cinema 1947ish singing "California Here I come".............I've still to make it that far:-)

In the UK there were more Al Jolson impersonators than for anyone else right up to the 1980s (at least where we lived close to the centre of Manchester.) Political Correctness may have sounded the death knell for them?

Getlo
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Getlo »

I love the 1970 version of the song, but Elvis really fooled around with it and didn't do many 'straight' versions. The noticeable exception being the 'Lost Performances' 1972 brilliant version, which still hasn't been released on DVD! The Lost Performances should be available for everybody. I remember getting back to work late because I called home on my lunch break and had to watch most of it when it was first out on VHS!

I remember the fuss about 'This Is Elvis' Are You Lonesome Tonight. Elvis fooled around with it, as usual, but it was slated as everyone thought it was due to the drugs - perhaps his stumbling on the words were, but he carried on with the comedy... plus tax.

Getlo

LonnieBeale

Post by LonnieBeale »

THere was also a problem with the television specials, ....aw the heck with it!

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

[quote="MauriceinIreland"]" As we remember this king of rock and roll, who died on August 16, 1977, let us not forget that he idolized our own Al Jolson, who died almost 27 years before, on October 23, 1950. quote]

Elvis idolized repeat IDOLIZED Al Jolson??????

Would that not be considered racist :D :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

Because Al Jolson was Jewish? :lol:

Sean Ryan
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Sean Ryan »

Im sure that the first time Elvis fooled around with the 'narrative' part of AYLT was at the 61' Hawaiian benefit show.Im certain that Elvis had trouble talking in Elvis In Concert more down to nerves than any medication.Which would his 'over-the-top' stutturing on 'AYLT.

Does anyone know who does own the rights to AYLT? Please tell me its not Jackson. :roll:

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Sean Ryan wrote:Im sure that the first time Elvis fooled around with the 'narrative' part of AYLT was at the 61' Hawaiian benefit show.Im certain that Elvis had trouble talking in Elvis In Concert more down to nerves than any medication.Which would his 'over-the-top' stutturing on 'AYLT.

Does anyone know who does own the rights to AYLT? Please tell me its not Jackson. :roll:
Just for you :D

Save
1. ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT (Title Code: 310061724)
Writers:
HANDMAN LOU
TURK ROY

Performers:
ATCHESON R
BOONE P
CAVALLERO C
CHIA E
CONNIFF RAY AND THE SINGERS
CRAMER F
DAMONE V
DAY DORIS
ELVIS
ENGLEBERT
FERRY B
FONTAINE F
FRANCIS C
GOODMAN DICKIE
GRAY S
GRIFFEN K
HAGGARD M
HAPPY ORGAN
HOLLYRIDGE SINGERS
HYLAND B
J MANN SINGERS
JOLSEN AL
JORDANAIRES
KAMES B
KAMES B/HAPPY ORGAN
KING & KELLI
LIBAEK S
LOTTI H
LUCARELLI H
LYNN V
MARTINO A
MAZZ
MICHAELS J
MICRO-CHIP
MILLS BROTHERS
MOM/DADS
MOSS A
MURRAY A
NASHVILLE BRASS
OSMOND D
PRESLEY E
PRESLEY E/JORDANAIRES
PRESLEY ELVIS
PRESLEY ELVIS
PURL LINDA
REEVES JIM
RENATO
RENEE
RENEE/RENATO
SCHNEIDER J
SCHNEIDER J/MICHAELS J
SCOTT TOMMY
SENKEL R E
SINATRA FRANK
STEVENS D
STUDIO MUSICIANS
STUDIO VOCALIST
THE LETTERMAN
THE MAVERICKS
THORNTON R
TURK
WHITTAKER R

Variations:
TI SENTI SOLA STASERA
SOLITUDINE
BIST DU EINSAM HEUT NACH
YES I'M LONESOME TONIGHT
ES TU SEULE MON AMOUR
ARE YOU LONESOME
ES TU SEUL(E) MON AMOUR?
ARE YOU LONE SOME TONIGHT *
ARE YOU LONESOME TO NIGHT
ESTUPIDO CUPIDO
PGSP 6203 (LONELY NIGHTS)
LONELY NIGHTS (SCOPE)
SCOPE (LONELY NIGHTS)
PGSP 6343 (TC)
PGSP 6295 (TC)
SLDT 8013
ARE YOU LONESOME TONIG ORI

Publishers/Administrators:
BOURNE CO
% MS BEEBE BOURNE
5 WEST 37TH STREET
6TH FLOOR
NEW YORK , NY, 10018
Tel. (212) 391-4300

CROMWELL MUSIC INC
C/O THE RICHMOND ORGANIZATION
266 W 37TH STREET
17TH FLOOR
NEW YORK , NY, 10018
Tel. (212) 594-9795

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Sean Ryan

Post by Sean Ryan »

Thanks Kiwi,

I was just wondering if anyone on here knew who owns the rights to the song.

If i got in touch with the addresses you gave me, im sure they won't tell me.
But thanks anyway. :wink:

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Steve_M wrote:LTB - I think they are anti Elvis depending of the version in question.

If Elvis perorms a heart felt rendition then it gets the thumbs up, but if he fools around with it and mocks it then its a no-go.

This is for video / DVD only as far as I know. Maybe the CD / record agreement is a longer one thats still in place.
The video & audio rights for songs are different.

The audio can be released as often as required, providing the appropriate royalties are paid.

But a 'rate' for video royalties has to be agreed with the songs owners each & every time it is released !

And boy, do they get greedy !

It's a silly and outdated system which is crying out for an update !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Sean Ryan

Post by Sean Ryan »

I,ve always wondered why the 1970 Thats The Way It Is version of 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' is allowed to be shown when they do 'Elvis The Concert' but not allowed to be shown on DVD.Very confusing.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Sean, see Colins and my posts above and add to that the "performance rights" which is another seperate rights issue to a DVD release or a CD release of the song.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Getlo wrote:I remember the fuss about 'This Is Elvis' Are You Lonesome Tonight. Elvis fooled around with it, as usual, but it was slated as everyone thought it was due to the drugs ...
Everyone except you -- they can't slip one past you!

Elvis? Drug abuse? June 1977? NO way, Jose.

DJC

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Sean Ryan wrote:Thanks Kiwi,

I was just wondering if anyone on here knew who owns the rights to the song.

If i got in touch with the addresses you gave me, im sure they won't tell me.
But thanks anyway. :wink:
These ARE the owners :!:

blue boy
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by blue boy »

I have learned that in the old days the agreement was for release on vinyl records and over the years when new media types as for example the audio casettes there was need to make new deals as the agreement was just for vinyl records. Don´t know how it worked when the CD come on the market, but in the early days of CD it was very hard to get an
regular CD release of old Elvis albums, maybe because of royalty problems......
As for DVD releases and AYLT, don't forget that the songs that Elvis recorded was always to be for "almost free of charge" due to Elvis popularity, and that's why the orgaanisation around him always tried to
find the cheapest way to get material.
Maybe the owner of AYLT tries to get the money they feel that they deserves due to all the number of times the version with Elvis has been released. Still AYLT should be considered as an Elvis original song....not many people in this world could refere this song to another artist.

I always wonder why the Elvis organisation never tried to pay a sum
for all the Elvis classics and get the ownership, he´s shure worth to own
the songs he made popular over the years.

Blue Boy

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Getlo wrote:I remember the fuss about 'This Is Elvis' Are You Lonesome Tonight. Elvis fooled around with it, as usual, but it was slated as everyone thought it was due to the drugs ...
Everyone except you -- they can't slip one past you!

DJC
He fooled around with the song from 1968. Nice sarcastic comment Doc, You excel yourself every time.

Obviously in 1977 Elvis had an issue with prescribed drugs, but Elvis fooled around with the song way before he had a problem. Look at the 1968 footage. I wouldn't say drugs played a part in the NBC Special.
Read and learn Doc.

Getlo

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Everyone except you -- they can't slip one past you!

DJC
getlo wrote:perhaps his stumbling on the words were
(You should pay attention - I mentioned the drugs) go back and re-read.

Getlo

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Getlo wrote:He fooled around with the song from 1968.
Really? Elvis first fooled with the hit at his 1961 benefit appearances in Memphis and Honolulu. A listen to the Hawaii recording is proof. Read, listen and learn.
Getlo wrote:Obviously in 1977 Elvis had an issue with prescribed drugs ...
As already noted, no one can pull the wool over YOUR eyes!

DJC

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

Hands up - it's been a while since I put the 1961 concert on, you are correct he had been fooling with the song for years, long before his 1977 filming took place.

I'm alergic to wool and would know if that ever happened. So I can see clearly now. I can even see your arrogance in just about everything you post - see, no wool!

Getlo

Jove
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Jove »

Barry Manilow just included this song in his latest number one album , Greatest Hits of the Fifties. He probably confused Elvis recording with the date of Jolson's recording.

Scratch me now a little lower

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

Bblbblblehblawblblblblb...plus tax.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Getting back to the original post - I doubt that the copyright owners are not Elvis friendly. After all they have made more money from the Elvis reading of the song than that of any other artist.

I would say that EPE are the unfriendly ones in that they are/were trying to browbeat the publishers done from the normal royality share.

Under law there is nothing to prevent anyone from recording this song - provided standard royalty fees are met UNLESS there exists a private arrangement to pay LESS then the going rate.

Topic author
likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

A question should be should they be getting anything for a song that is 80!!! years old this year? Man that's a long time to be in copywrite.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

likethebike wrote:A question should be should they be getting anything for a song that is 80!!! years old this year? Man that's a long time to be in copywrite.
Please let us know when you're 80th birthday is coming up. We'll back up the truck and take your belongings. After all, you'll have owned them long enough by then.