Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rose Colored Glasses

Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:36 am

I was fooling around tonight and caught myself thinking about the few on this board that always seem to chide a lot of Elvis fans for having rose colored glasses. I had a very simple thought....So What?
Do we not always do this with our loved ones? Usually with our children. Do we not always see the positive in our loved ones instead of the negative. Will we not defend our loved ones to the death? Why are we not allowed to love Elvis the same way? Who among us has not made some tragic mistakes in our life and always knew we could fall back on the love of the people in our life that loved us the most? The reason we are able to do this is because no matter what we do the people we love will always see the good in our life first.
Did Elvis ever hurt anyone but his on person? Did he not spend his life helping others in every way possible and doing his best to entertain us?
So why not look at the person we love and see the positive in his 77 performances? Why not love all of his ballads he sang with his beautifull voice throughout the 70's?
I have made a lot of mistakes in my life. This never turned my family against me, instead they chose to pull the good out of what I was doing and encourage me.
I will always look for the good in Elvis no matter what the time frame of his life. I will always defend him against the people who choose to try and emphasise his faults instead of his strengths.
Why? Because I love him and always will, even if I have to wear rose colored glasses from time to time.

Tony

Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:36 am

For me I know it's not necessarily rose colored glasses. Getting through "Kissin Cousins" is a chore and nothing can make me think it's a pleasure. Some of Elvis' stage comments make me cringe as does some of his personal behavior. But overall if there is a dispute I give Elvis the benefit of a doubt because he's earned it.

I'm also not sure that focusing on positives is "rose colored glasses" anyway. I've never understood the thinking where a negative erases any positives especially when you have a lot of positives like Elvis. I don't think you get as much out of the negatives which everybody has. For me this is true for all artists. Am I sad that Rod Stewart never lived up to a fraction of his talent after 1976? Yes. Does that make diminish his music from the early 70s one bit? No. Once you do something great it should never be taken away because doing something great is truly rare.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:34 pm

Good post Blue-Gypsy, I always like to remember the good times. There's no point delving into the bad stuff (In My Opinion). I don't understand why so many want to. Appreciate all the pleasure he gave us, right up till the end. :)

8)

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:37 pm

And the fact that music is about a feeling, not technical perfection. We could all learn from Elvis and the way he made music.

I just listen and enjoy!

"I'm a sentimental son of a bitch!"

Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:49 pm

I count myself unfortunate for not having the opportunity to meet him or see one of his live performances... at any point in his career.
It wouldn't have made a difference to me.
I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to see one of his shows.
I don't think I would have even heard the music... I would have been in awe the whole time.
Anyway, I know about all the negative crap the you read and people say about him... but as you said... SO WHAT!
He was a human being for crying out loud.
And an extremely gifted and generous one at that!
I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't think about him.
That's the impact he had on my life.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:00 pm

Nothing I ever read on this MB ever makes me less of a fan. In fact, if it did ...................... I'd consider my admiration of Elvis to be pretty shallow as a result.

Anything that makes him more human, makes me an even bigger admirer of what the man was all about; it is always the music, but also much, much more.

What I've learned about Elvis collecting, the Elvis World, and fellow Elvis "fans" ................ has been enlightening and always entertaining. :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:06 pm

Hey elvis-fan, that little wiggly guy in your sig. looks like an
impersonator. :lol:

:oops:

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:43 pm

Hi Sam!

Actually, it's JAY LENO!!!

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:58 pm

N880EP and my self don't always see eye to eye on some issues, but I couldn't have agree with him anymore on what he wrote in his post. :)
JEFF d
EPFAN

Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:30 pm

Tony, you are so right on with what you said- I agree with you 100%!

Nashnet

Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:44 pm

Having read millions of words on Elvis' few faults and weaknessess it is refreshing to read a thread like this one. Nicely done Tony.

http://www.elvispresleybirthplace.com/index.asp lets give Tupelo a chance:-)

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:47 am

Everyone in this thread "gets it"!

It's like in the original TTWII where the editor of Tiger Beat compared being a fan to being in love. We do look for the positives and focus more on them. We don't deny the negatives; we do acknowledge them and the fact that they are not enough to diminish the way we feel about this person.

N8, I totally relate to what you said about the things which make him more human. Those things, if anything, endear him to us even more. Even though we might not have done those things or choose to, they point to the fact that he endured things as we have which are all common to the human experience. So we can relate to him on some level. And the more stories we hear which paint a less than perfect picture, the more we understand how hard it was for him to handle his being Elvis Presley.

Who is to say he could have done so any better, considering the unprecedented celebrity status he attained?

"The image is one thing, and the human being is another." He said that for a reason.

But all things considered, rose-colored glasses are not required in my book. I don't need to see perfection in order to like something...especially not something (or someone) of which (or whom) I claim to be a fan.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:58 am

Great post BG!

To me,it always comes down to music - and music from 1953 till 1977 is a testament to his greatness. I don't prentend to know anything about him as a person, but his music found a way to touch millions of people. So rather than dwell on his pointless "decline," let's just enjoy the legacy he lef us.

I've had my share of arguments over Ep's "decline." By 1977 he had lost it completely and so on....

Well, if appreciating "Where No One Stands Alone," "Unchained Melody" and "How Great Thou Art" 1977 as few of his many highlights makes me a blind man, then i'm indeed a happy, blind man. :)