Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Make Your own STAX album for RCA in '74!!!

Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:29 am

ok, I was just listening to my 'Promised Land" cd and I thought about the fun topic Pete Dube came up with for "Elvis in Concert". well, what if YOU were hired by RCA in '74 and they asked YOU to PRODUCE a strong contemporary LP for Elvis' next release? what would YOU, as a Producer for RCA come up with? this is only for fun, as i'm burning a few cd's right now with this concept in mind! c'mon EP fans, let me hear ya....oh and by the way, you can use the "Raised in Rock' trax, pretending the original LP was aborted due to on going conflicts between Felton Jarvis and Joan Deary! LOL

for me, as a working title, i like STAX TRAX, like the boot...

Side 1

1) I got a feelin' in my body
2) Loving arms
3) Talk about the good times
4) You asked me to
5) If you don't come back
6) For 'ol times sake
7) I got a thing about you baby

Side 2

1) Promised land
2) It's midnight
3) If you talk in your sleep
4) your love's been a long time coming
5) Find out what's happening
6) There's a honkey tonk angel or Are you sincere
7) Three corn Patches...i know, i know, but as Producer i would make James Burton go back and beef up his axe and overdub a kick ass guitar solo!

so wha'd ya think? kool album for E in '74?

Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:13 am

You're absolutely right, but they would never be as generous as 14 tracks.
The best 12 would have been an album to rival From Elvis In Memphis.
rick

Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:44 am

minkahed - Now what's the concept behind this release?

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:59 pm

as I stated before, a strong contemporary Lp for Elvis in 1974! YOU, as a Producer for Elvis' next studio album, want to create an artistic release and you have the batch of Stax recordings to choose from. remember, this is just for fun so there's no use analyzing such a release, like, "oh RCA wouldn't do this or that...", u know? c'mon people, let's see your list!

I can't agree with the song list

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:10 pm

Hi minkahed,
you talk about a "strong contemporary LP", so, in this way, how can you choose "Are you sincere" or "For 'ol times sake" and you did not include "If you don't come back"?, let me tell you, with this kind of taste, it's better leave the story like it was.
Don't take me wrong, like yours, that's only my opinion, but if all we want to make up the Elvis image for the late 70's, we can't continue with the same kind of sh... songs Elvis had to song, for instance "Are you sincere?", a mediocre copy of Are you lonesome tonight?, kind of song.

I prefer a lot, the funky sound you can hear in some songs of the Stax session.

Bye, have a nice day.
ALFREDO.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:38 am

Great topic!!! :)

It's always fun to see how different people prefer different lists. My personal one:

1.Promised Land
2.Help Me
3.Loving Arms
4.Talk About The Good Times
5.Girl Of Mine
6.Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming

1.Raised On Rock
2.My Boy
3.Are You Sincere
4.It's Midnight
5.You Asked Me To
6.If That Isn't Love

the stax sessions 1973 were definetely underrated ones, one truly great, classic album could have been a life saver here.

Re: I can't agree with the song list

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:45 am

Alfredo wrote:same kind of sh... songs Elvis had to song, for instance "Are you sincere?", a mediocre copy of Are you lonesome tonight?, kind of song.
ALFREDO.

your opinion?

IMHO, "Are You Sincere" is a masterpiece, beautiful song and i very much rate it higher than AYLT which somehow leaves me totally cold. But like you pointed out, these are personal opinions so let's just encourage these threads. We all have our personal favourites, and i love to share them as well as read other types of alternate song-lists etc.
They bring more value to this MB, IMO.

:)

Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:11 am

why is it that some people speak (or write) before they can read correctly? if alfredo would have read correctly, he would have seen that "If You Don't Come Back" is on my Side 1, song #5!!! did he even bother checkin' out the list or just saw the songs he didn't like? ok, wiseguy, we didn't see YOUR impressive list!!! if he would have seen the list correctly, I chose "There's a Honkey Tonk Angel" FIRST!! :shock: and like I said before, it's just for fun, so why do people wanna analyze EVERYTHING? remember, it's all over and done with anyway. If this post leads to more replies like alfredo, i'm sorry i wasted my time!

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:53 pm

My lp for E in '74 would include the following:

1. Promised Land
2. It's Midnight
3. Find out what's happening
4. Thinking about you
5. If you talk in your sleep
6. Loving arms

1. I got a feeling in my body
2. Talk about the good times
3. Help me
4. I've got a thing about you baby
5. If that isn't love

*If we have the masters available, can we remix them to our (and Elvis') liking?

Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:31 am

I'm surprised no-one has included Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues - one of Elvis' best vocals and most heart-felt performances at Stax.

Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:42 am

...and one of his best songs ever, in my opinion.

So here's mine:

SIDE A
1. If You Talk In Your Sleep
2. There's A Honky Tonk Angel
3. Talk About The Good Times
4. It's Diff'rent Now (cheating a little here--in this fantasy scenario, Elvis worked this song out until they got a proper take)
5. I Got A Feeling In My Body
6. Loving Arms

SIDE B
1. Promised Land
2. For Ol' Times Sake
3. I've Got A Thing About You Baby
4. My Boy
5. You Asked Me To
6. Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues

I like the funk too, but unfortunately most of those tracks feature inferior vocal performances by Elvis, and that's why I am not including them in my album.

This was kind of tough though, because a lot of the other tracks could have easily made my list too!

Title: The Good Times And The Bad

Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:21 pm

I love these kind of threads! I'm gonna really go for broke and re-write history from Aug. 73 thru Jan. 75. Singles: (Aug. 73) Raised On Rock/For 'Ol Times Sake; (Nov. 73) I've Got A Thing About You Baby/Take Good Care Of Her; (Feb. 74) If You Talk In Your Sleep/Love Song Of The Year; Album (March 74) entitled I've Got A Thing About You Baby: Raised On Rock; Are You Sincere; I've Got A Thing About You Baby; Find Out What's Happening; I Miss You; If You Talk In Your Sleep; For 'Ol Times Sake; If You Don't Come Back; Spanish Eyes; Sweet Angeline; Just A Little Bit; Love Song Of The Year. Singles: (March 74) Help Me/If That Isn't Love (Easter single); (May 74) My Boy/She Wears My Ring; (Aug. 74) Lovin' Arms/Trying To Get To You (live/Memphis version); (Nov. 74) Promised Land/It's Midnight. Album (Jan. 75) entitled Promised Land: Promised Land; Lovin' Arms; Help Me; I've Got A Feelin' In My Body; There's A Honkytonk Angel (Who'll Take Me Back In); My Boy; It's Midnight; Talk About The Goodtimes; Thinking About You; Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues; You Asked Me To; Your Love's Been A Long Time Comin'. Gone are the duds Girl Of Mine and 3 Corn Patches.

FOR STARTERS!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:10 am

Re-release the RAISED ON ROCK 10 track, with the additonal single that ended up on GOOD TIMES. Namely I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY/TAKE GOOD CARE OF HER and then add some unreleased outtakes!
Would be a good follow up to the upgraded PROMISED LAND ALBUM!
I still hold Elvis STAX sessions high!

here yah go

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:53 am

1. I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY
2. JUST A LITTLE BIT
3. RAISED ON ROCK
4. FOR OL' TIMES SAKE
5. GIRL OF MINE
6. SWEET ANGELINE
7. I MISS YOU
8. ARE YOU SINCERE
9. I GOT A FEEING IN MY BODY
10. IT'S MIDNIGHT
11. YOU ASKED ME TO
12. IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP
13. MR. SONGMAN
14. THINKING ABOUT YOU
15. LOVE SONG OF THE YEAR
16. HELP ME
17. MY BOY
18. LOVING YEARS
19. GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES
20. TALK AOUT THE GOOD TIMES
21. PROMISED LAND
22. YOR LOVE'S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING
23. THERE'S A HONKY TONK ANGEL
24. IF THAT ISN'T LOVE
25. SPANISH EYES
26. SHE WEARS MY RING

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:44 am

ok, a 26 track LP released in 1974? LOL :D
and by the way, I really love that song: Loving Years!!!

c'mon people, let's see your LISTS...

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:53 am

For starters they should have made Raised on Rock a 12-track album and included I've Got A Thing About You and the dreary Take Good Care Of Her. A bit of effort was needed to create a decent follow-up to Aloha.
Then from Stax 2 there's sufficient for one great 12-track album.

Promised Land
It's Midnight
If You Talk In Your Sleep,
Thinking About You
There's A Honky Tonk Angel
I Got A Feeling In My Body.

My Boy
Lovin' Arms
Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
Talk About The Good Times
Love Song of the Year
If That Isn't Love.
(with apologies to Help Me)
rick

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:40 pm

Here are my picks for the Elvis studio album in '74:

SIDE A:
1.) Promised Land
2.) There's A Honky Tonk Angel
3.) Talk About the Good Times
4.) I've Got A Thing About You, Baby
5.) Loving Arms
6.) Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues

7.) I Got A Feelin' In My Body
8.) It's Midnight
9.) Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming
10.) If You Talk In Your Sleep
11.) Thinking About You
12.) You Asked Me To

OK, in my scenario, the releases would be:

Elvis decided to re-cut "I've Got A Thing About You, Baby" during the Dec. '73 Stax sessions, saying he wasn't satisfied with the July '73 version. Plus he wanted to put the July '73 sessions behind him

January '74:
My Boy/Spanish Eyes

March '74:
If That Isn't Love/Help Me (Easter single release)

May '74:
If You Talk In Your Sleep/Love Song of the Year

October '74:
Promised Land/It's Midnight

January '75:
I've Got A Thing About You Baby/Thinking About You

The first Elvis RCA release for '74 would be the live in Memphis album.
Since a live recording of "Help Me" is being used for the album, it was decided that RCA would hold off on releasing the single version on an album for awhile.

The studio album, titled "Promised Land" would be released in November '74 (just in time for Christmas!)

Tom (from Ohio)

GIRL OF MINE

Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:10 am

I think "Girl of mine" is one of the worst Jack Jones type songs Elvis ever recorded!
TONY DOBB