Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

DVD Audio

Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:41 am

When oh when will RCA join the world.

From current issue of Billboard
"""
Reprise will issue "Sinatra at the Sands," the 1966 live album by Frank Sinatra featuring Count Basie and his Orchestra with conductor Quincy Jones, in the DVD-Audio format in August, Billboard Bulletin reports. The release, the first Sinatra album to be issued in DVD-A, will feature a 5.1-channel surround mix created by producer/engineer Elliot Mazer, plus bonus content. Mazer co-produced and mixed the DVD-A version of Neil Young's "Harvest," released last year by Reprise, as well as the original "Harvest" in 1972.

A Warner Music Group spokesperson says additional Sinatra DVD-A titles are planned.
"""

Now that's how to do "Aloha" or 1969, 1970, 1972 etc.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:19 am

We may be in disagreement about techinical aspects of cd/dvd formats, but we are in COMPLETE agrement with this. I long for the day when we get Memphis 69 COMPLETE DVD-a or SACD!!! When oh when is right!!

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:25 pm

It will come eventually. I to am waiting for Elvis releases in DVD.A or SACD.

8)

Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:47 pm

I think all of us want high resolution audio of any Elvis track.

But I hope they will stay away from the 5.1 mix and stay to the original stereo or mono mixes.

Or at least release the albums with both options if they go for the surround format. There's enough space to do this as most Elvis albums are just 20-40 minutes long.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:54 pm

vinyljunkie wrote:But I hope they will stay away from the 5.1 mix and stay to the original stereo or mono mixes.
Or at least release the albums with both options if they go for the surround format. There's enough space to do this as most Elvis albums are just 20-40 minutes long.

There are usually three options available, so everyone should be pleased.

DVD Video 5.1 surround
Advanced resolution 5.1
Advanced resolution stereo

All on one disc. :wink:

8)

Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:38 pm

You are correct Sam. When E1 was released on DVD-Audio last year, you had the option of 5.1 surround or just plain stereo. I would love to hear more '69 Memphis sessions in 5.1 surround!

RKS

Coming...

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:04 am

I believe the new Aloha DVD's will probably feature some new surround mixes (hopefully in DTS, but you'll never know with EPE).

Regarding the 1968 material it will be interesting to see what EPE will do with the sound - which was recorded in mono off of video cameras!

It would be great if BMG could release CD compatible hybrid SACD's, so at least they wouldn't cater to a niche market (DVD-A)...
-wolf

Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:52 pm

Personally, I would prefer the releases in DTS MULTICHANNEL with a Stereo option. That way you don't have to go through the stupid MULTICHANNEL audio. DTS offers 96/24 resolution through the DOLBY DIGITAL OPTICAL cable. F*ck the SACD/DVDAUDIO wars. It is about time that the formats cooperate. Why shouldn't every home listener at least be able to hear the quality. DTS rules, that is the bottome line!! Most every person has a decoder(if they have a 5.1 amp), and more people in effect will appreciate.

Audio wars continued...

Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:58 pm

What I like about SACD is the fact that it's a format with one specification, containing a surround and a stereo mix on the SACD layer (and an optional redbook layer).

DVD-A is a totally different story, some have navigation menus on the screen, some don't, some have two channel mixes, some don't, some have DTS tracks, some don't, some have autostart, some don't.

In my view the specs for DVD-A are way too confusing for the average consumer, it doesn't even have standard sampling frequencies or number of channels...
-wolf

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:18 pm

Yeah and what I don't like is that you have to have a SACD player!! Plus one has to go with INFERIOR Multi Channel AUDIO RCA CABLES!! Its stupid. You can enjoy the same specifics on a DTS DVD. Dvd's are the future. Cd's are a dying breed. Sacd players are even worse off!! DVD players that play DTS discs will be compatible.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:05 pm

to enjoy the SACDs and DVD-A fully in high resolution sound, you need SACD and DVD-A compatible player, the surround it is not neccesary

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:26 pm

The jury is well and truly out on whether or not the public will adopt SACD or DVD A in a huge way.

Judging by the enexpected and incredible success of the Apple IPOD downloads - the public is happy with a standard of quality near high resolution MP3.

My feeling is that SACD and DVD A will find a niche market similar to those old Audiophile Direct Cut vinyl albums - and the general public will buy off-air.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:07 pm

<The jury is well and truly out on whether or not the public will adopt SACD or DVD A in a huge way. Judging by the enexpected and incredible success of the Apple IPOD downloads - the public is happy with a standard of quality near high resolution MP3. My feeling is that SACD and DVD A will find a niche market similar to those old Audiophile Direct Cut vinyl albums - and the general public will buy off-air.

Very well said. Those of us that actually notice and care about audio quality are very much in the minority. For most people, as long as they can hear it, that's good enough for them. The average guy probably doesn't want to figure out how to plug 5.1 speakers into his receiver, too much wiring!