Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Heartbreak Hotel 50th anniversary single alternate take

Post by elvissessions »

Well, after excitedly counting down to the release of the Heartbreak Hotel 50th anniversary single, I'm disappointed to report that it appears the alternate take included is take 6, which already appeared on the Platinum box set.

I say appears because this is the information and take available from iTunes and other download services in connection with the 50th anniversary single that came out here about 43 minutes ago.

Perhaps someone will soon be able to confirm this with a CD copy of the single, but I haven't been able to get hold of one yet.

I knew the hopes that missing takes have been recovered are slim, but I'd say that if Ernst isn't taking this chance to release a new take, then it's safe to say that the rest of the tape has not been recovered or has nothing else of note.

So perhaps all we'll ever have is take 5, take 6 and part of take 4.

I'd love for someone here to prove me wrong, but this is what I think I know so far.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Hope springs eternal. Perhaps the upcoming months will be kind to the devoted fan. Wouldn't it be nice?

DJC

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

It does ! That's amazing. normally we say "previously released" if it needs to be mentioned, but it seems that it's ok to say "not previously unreleased" now :lol:

Has it ever been mentioned what was on the tape up until take 4 cuts in ? In other words (me at it now) was it something known to have been recorded later thus showing that the tape or part thereof was recorded over, or was it not the master tape and was a transfer to the tape from that point onto the master with the original tape still lost?

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Has anyone found the "Heartbreak Hotel" CD? Amazon now says available to ship in 6 to 9 days!

If anyone has found it at Best Buy, Walmart, etc., please post.

Thanks,

Mystery Train

elbo51
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by elbo51 »

I picked one up in a Best Buy last Friday. They must have made a mistake and put it out early. All it says on the back insert is that it is Heartbreak Hotel Take 6, nothing else.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Stan from Tintane wrote:
Steve_M wrote:It does ! That's amazing. normally we say "previously released" if it needs to be mentioned, but it seems that it's ok to say "not previously unreleased" now :lol:
can you clarify that :lol:
only by saying that i'm not going to unclarify that. :wink:

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

It would be nice to be a "new" side for us, but really this is a "ceremonial" / publicity sort of release after all.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

But this is "new" as far as the youngsters who haven't heard it go.

I wonder what those who are really hearing it for the first time think of it.

elbo51

Post by elbo51 »

Personally I think a release like this is meant for collector's only, but without offering them anything "new". I just went into every cd store in downtown Vancouver and no one knew anything about the release here in Canada. Not a copy to be found. I bought the one on Friday while I was on a short trip across the border to the USofA. I also doubt very much that it will be played much on AM or FM radio, I didn't hear it today on the way to work as I trolled the dials. Nor can I say I've heard it at all on the radio in the last week or so. So where are the young people gonna hear it?? :cry:

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Well I just don't know where they are gonna hear it.

I think the release date is wrong, i think it should have been released on the anniversary of the original release date in the US and UK respectively.

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

Steve_M wrote:Well I just don't know where they are gonna hear it.

I think the release date is wrong, i think it should have been released on the anniversary of the original release date in the US and UK respectively.
Doing that would require a knowledge and respect for the historical context of the record that few at BMG/RCA/EPE seem to have.

(With the honourable exception of Ernst.)

Geoff

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

A slight flaw in the plan that you've highlighted Geoff. :wink:

Gregory Nolan Jr.

elbo51 wrote:Personally I think a release like this is meant for collector's only, but without offering them anything "new". I just went into every cd store in downtown Vancouver and no one knew anything about the release here in Canada. Not a copy to be found. I bought the one on Friday while I was on a short trip across the border to the USofA. I also doubt very much that it will be played much on AM or FM radio, I didn't hear it today on the way to work as I trolled the dials. Nor can I say I've heard it at all on the radio in the last week or so. So where are the young people gonna hear it?? :cry:

Again, this is for the obsessive collectors (a rarity would have been nice), and to a lesser extent, it allows them to tie-in some stories about Elvis. I agree they could do more promotion but for a 50 year old track (and a dead singles market), what do we expect.

Like "That's All Right Mama" in 2004 on a CD-single, I can't complain too much.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Thanks Elbo51.

Over my lunch break I went to K-Mart and they had one copy for $2.99 plus tax. I checked WalMart and they didn't have any.

Mystery Train

elbo51

Post by elbo51 »

Glad you found one. The price was right, eh? Mine was $2.99 at BB as well. :D

Topic author
elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

Found a copy, too. For only $2.99, it's certainly a landmark single worthy of support.

The packaging is respectable, good art and a little text that puts things in historical context.

Of course, it's not going to do much to shift the course of history. But it's never bad to give Elvis a little boost. Putting something like this in front of people is always a good reminder, if for no other reason than it'll get a few more mentions in the media. (That's already happening, in fact, as I heard something on radio and a name-check on the noon TV news -- hey, it's something.)
Last edited by elvissessions on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Maybe its gonna be different for the UK to the US.

Elvis was slowly making his mark in the US before HH.

In the UK it entered the singles charts in May with nothing to precede it and I think the media in the UK will use that anniversary more than the recording session one.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

Jus got back from Wal mart and they had at least 20 copies of the "New" cd single stocked.

I bought 2 copies for $1.99 each. it looks great and the sound is splendid.

...like stepping back in time. :wink:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by ritchie valens »

did kevan master the alt. take?

Topic author
elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

The disc doesn't include any notation one way or the other. I haven't done anything but a quick and dirty A-B with the Platinum track, but to my ears there's once again a clear difference between the two -- more clarity on the new single. There's a smidge more length on the new version, but it's just studio noise -- nothing of real value and we're talking less than a second added to the start.

... Ah, heck, let me just pull the first 30 seconds of each and post them for folks to hear. ...

I'll be back soon ...
Last edited by elvissessions on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

OK, I'm back ...

Click here to listen to the first 30 seconds of the Platinum version and then the first 30 seconds of the new single.

(I've brought the peaks on both tracks to zero dB to make it a more accurate comparison.)

I think you'll hear right away that -- for whatever reason -- the new single has a cleaner sound.
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Yes I agree elvissessions. Thanks.

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

Thanks elvissessions, I too agree.

BTW how splendid are the people who use this board? So generous with their own time and resources.

Geoff :D

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Thanks for that, ES. It's true: there's a lot of generous folks here.

I'm going to pick some up some copies of the single today.

By the way, anyone who hasn't checked out Elvissessions site definitely should do so.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality