Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

EP & jerry lee in 69

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:57 pm

a long time-fan once told me that story

Jerry Lee lewis met EP in 69 or 70 after a vegas concert
and JLL played piano ( and maybe they sang together for fun ? )
then the colonel would have interrupt the 2 singers, asking them to stop.
JLL would have asked to EP why he do not fire parker and EP would have replied something like " i keep him as long as my concerts are sold out "

I d like to know if the story is true or not ?
anyone ever heard/read that story ?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:03 am

I doubt it's true because Elvis first met Lewis in '57 at Sun studios here in Memphis during the infamous Million Dollar Quartet session.

re

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:06 am

why infamous :?:

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:07 am

Lakeisha wrote:I doubt it's true because Elvis first met Lewis in '57 at Sun studios here in Memphis during the infamous Million Dollar Quartet session.

He didn't mean they met for the first time in 69/70, just that they met after one of his Vegas shows. As for any truth to the story, I don't know...

re

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:08 am

you re right mr paulsweeney :wink:

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:38 am

Yes, JLL was invited out to Vegas to see Elvis in 1969. (The Killer mentions this in the movie 'Keep On Rockin'' just before he does 'Mystery Train'.)

They jammed together backstage but Jerry Lee didn't like the way the Colonel seemed to control Elvis' every move. He made a comment to the effect of: "If some old man was telling me what to do like that all the time, I'd whoop his ass". Smart Killer.

It's a shame Elvis never stood up to the old bastard.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:41 am

Lakeisha wrote:I doubt it's true because Elvis first met Lewis in '57 at Sun studios here in Memphis during the infamous Million Dollar Quartet session.

The MDQ session was in December '56, Lakeisha. (No doubt you would have known the date if it had been overdubbed and remixed for the current market. Gotta keep Elvis current, you know.)

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am

The exchange went (supposedly)

The Colonel
"let's get these people out this room"
Jerry Lee
"I wouldn't let some old man tell me who I could and couldn't talk to"
Elvis
"that's why you're playing the lounge and I'm playing the showroom".

I dunno. But I asked Jerry Lee's guitarist Kenny Lovelce about it a few years back and he said it's true.

Check out the Jerry Lee Toronto '69 show. He does lots of Elvis stuff and says "we just got back from Vegas, seeing the old Tennessee studhorse", and goes on to do many EP covers.

JLL & Elvis may not have liked each other, but they admired each other shitloads I think. For so many reasons.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:17 am

In "Elvis Memories" Jerry Lee Lewis says " he was good" about twice referring to Elvis and that his favorite song (Elvis) was Don't Be Cruel which I found odd because I thought he would have picked a harder rock song.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:29 am

Tits McGhee wrote:

The MDQ session was in December '56, Lakeisha. (No doubt you would have known the date if it had been overdubbed and remixed for the current market. Gotta keep Elvis current, you know.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 am

Didn't Jerry Lee put Elvis down in the Documentary "All You Need Is Love"? this was first shown here in the UK way back in 1976.(I think.)

I only ever saw it once,but I'm sure he said "He (Elvis) let Rock n Roll Down"

That was 30 years ago,so I might be slightly off.

Anybody else remember it?

Dan.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:12 pm

Jerry Lee has put down Elvis a lot of times, sadly. Usually that old tired bulls*** about him being the real king of rock´n roll, Elvis was just a mama´s boy who sang ballads and did everything Parker told him, and so on, and so on... I remember reading one hilarious (or sad, depending how you look at it) interview with JLL in Q Magazine in the late 80´s, where he´s actually threatening to kill the reporter if he even mentions Elvis´s name :lol: :roll:

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm

As I remember from Elvis Memories, the full quote is along these lines.

"Elvis was good. When you're good, you're good, and you don't have to take a back seat to anyone. Elvis, well, he never had to take a back seat".

I think that shows a respect for Elvis, and the fact the two shared much of the same background, coming through Sun etc, means I'm sure the respect was mutual.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:50 pm

"Infamous"? You mean legendary, one hopes.

That jam session at 706 Union was on 04 Dec '56, and was likely Elvis' first meeting with Jerry Lee. Of course it was a Carl Perkins session, and Lewis just a hired hand for the date, so Presley was likely surprised by the brimming talent and evident enthusiasm of the 21 year-old pianist from Ferriday, LA.

They may've crossed paths after that, but it is certain Lewis attended both Friday night gigs in Las Vegas on 15 Aug '69, with Jerry a part of the post-show get-together up in Elvis' suite. The conversation/jam in question may've happened at that point. In any case, Elvis privately found some of Jerry's post-show comments obnoxious, but knew it was typical behavior.

DJC

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

re

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:51 pm

is it me or nobody can say for sure if EP & JLL met eachother before MDQ :?:

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:57 pm

JLL and Elvis met for the first time at the MDQ session I think.

By the way, there was another 'jam' session at Sun with Jerry Lee & Elvis in '57. Jerry Lee fans have mentioned this, and Marty Lacker said he was there (and despite what you think about Lacker & MM people, Marty isn't scared to say "I dunno" when asked a question. I'd trust his word on this matter).
And if you want to know what Jerry Lee realy thought of Elvis, there are bootleg session tapes from the eighties in Sun, where Jerry Lee talks in glowing terms about Elvis. It is, funnily enough, quite touching.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:01 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote:And if you want to know what Jerry Lee realy thought of Elvis, there are bootleg session tapes from the eighties in Sun, where Jerry Lee talks in glowing terms about Elvis. It is, funnily enough, quite touching.

Interesting! Can you give us some examples?

I don't listen to Killer that much, but I enjoy things like "Louisiana Man" and his country albums from the late '60s. He is a very fascinating character. The book "Hellfire" by Nick Tousches is out of this world...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: re

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:46 pm

tcb4 wrote:is it me or nobody can say for sure if EP & JLL met eachother before MDQ :?:

very unlikely they did.

1956 saw JLL's family pay for his trip to Memphis late in the year by selling farm produce, eggs and stuff, to the local grocery store, so JLL wasn't where Elvis was in 56 until that Session at Sun in December.

However, ealier on their timings nealry clashed. It was late 53 when JLL was turned down by the Louisianna Hayride and yet within 12 months Elvis had a contract there. One wonders if JLL wasn't ahead of his time, if he applied again after Elvis his particular style might have been deemed to be "in".

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:11 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote:The exchange went (supposedly)

The Colonel
"let's get these people out this room"
Jerry Lee
"I wouldn't let some old man tell me who I could and couldn't talk to"
Elvis
"that's why you're playing the lounge and I'm playing the showroom".

I dunno. But I asked Jerry Lee's guitarist Kenny Lovelce about it a few years back and he said it's true.

Check out the Jerry Lee Toronto '69 show. He does lots of Elvis stuff and says "we just got back from Vegas, seeing the old Tennessee studhorse", and goes on to do many EP covers.

JLL & Elvis may not have liked each other, but they admired each other shitloads I think. For so many reasons.

Given what we know about EP, this exchange, at least his words, doesn't sound like something he would have said.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:26 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Swithin StCleeve wrote:And if you want to know what Jerry Lee really thought of Elvis, there are bootleg session tapes from the eighties in Sun, where Jerry Lee talks in glowing terms about Elvis. It is, funnily enough, quite touching.

Okay. I think the date is 1990, Jerry Lee is recording a song called 'It Was The Whiskey Talking' for the soundtrack of Dick Tracy. He's in the Sun studio, and I think he's had a few cold ones. At one point he must be looking at the picture of Elvis on the wall, I'll type what he says direct from the CD, I'm playing it now, I'll try and type the Elvis bits exactly as Jerry Lee said. Oh, and it pretty much confirms the fact that Elvis first met Jerry Lee at the MDQ session.

Okay, it's 1990, Jerry Lee is in Sun and he sees the big Elvis picture on the wall. .

"now if I could just recall this dude here for about fifteen minutes . . we could show you a trick. Never be another Elvis Presley (whistles). . . he had that somethin', y'know. . . dynamic. Somethin’ wanna make you drive 10,000 miles to see him, if you only had 15 cents in your pocket, you'd get the money somewhere to go. No-body could outdraw Elvis Presley"
(I think he means as an live act, not in a gunfight ;-)
"Boy we had some good times right here in this old studio. (giggles) He came he said 'what's going on, how come you never went into the army' - I said sh*t I was never that crazy" (Laughs all round).
"He got upset about that, but he was sooo, man, he served his time - he done it!"
Then Jerry Lee talks quieter, almost to himself, you have to turn the CD up hear him.
"He was just so far ahead of his time, he was so great".
The then sings the first line of Money Honey, then the 'baby baby' bit in a pretty good impersonation of Elvis. Again, laughs all round.
"He had something the little girls liked.".
He talks to the studio engineer "you mean you never met Elvis?
"No sir, wish I had".
Again Jerry Lee is quiet. . "He was a real gentleman son. I'll never forget - I know people don't wanna hear this bullshit I'm talking about - he pulled right out in front here, and he had that 1956 Lincoln Mark I, I believe it was, I think it was, a white one. He got out that damn car and I wanted to see what he looked like, I was waitin' to meet mr 'Don't Be Cruel', he strode out that car and walked in and he looked exactly like he looked - dangerous!!! " (laughs)
Quieter again - "we had some times, but those days are gone".

He then goes on talking, playing, moaning about his wife - it's quite funny, but the Elvis bit is very telling I think. As much as he laughs about Elvis going in the army, you can tell he admires him for doing it, when he says "he served his time, he done it!".
The engineer he's chatting to is Jimmy Lott, he’s still there. I met him this year in Sun.

Cheers!

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:36 pm

I have a JLL cd wheres he does a live version of Blue suede shoes and starts the song by saying hes going to sing a song by Carl Perkins,after the song you can hear a guy in the audience say"wasnt that a Elvis song"and Jerry goes to say"no,Elvis stole that song from him while he was in bed trying to stay alive from a car accident"

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:40 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Swithin StCleeve wrote:And if you want to know what Jerry Lee really thought of Elvis, there are bootleg session tapes from the eighties in Sun, where Jerry Lee talks in glowing terms about Elvis. It is, funnily enough, quite touching.

Okay. I think the date is 1990, Jerry Lee is recording a song called 'It Was The Whiskey Talking' for the soundtrack of Dick Tracy. He's in the Sun studio, and I think he's had a few cold ones. At one point he must be looking at the picture of Elvis on the wall, I'll type what he says direct from the CD, I'm playing it now, I'll try and type the Elvis bits exactly as Jerry Lee said. Oh, and it pretty much confirms the fact that Elvis first met Jerry Lee at the MDQ session.

Okay, it's 1990, Jerry Lee is in Sun and he sees the big Elvis picture on the wall. .

"now if I could just recall this dude here for about fifteen minutes . . we could show you a trick. Never be another Elvis Presley (whistles). . . he had that somethin', y'know. . . dynamic. Somethin’ wanna make you drive 10,000 miles to see him, if you only had 15 cents in your pocket, you'd get the money somewhere to go. No-body could outdraw Elvis Presley"
(I think he means as an live act, not in a gunfight ;-)
"Boy we had some good times right here in this old studio. (giggles) He came he said 'what's going on, how come you never went into the army' - I said sh*t I was never that crazy" (Laughs all round).
"He got upset about that, but he was sooo, man, he served his time - he done it!"
Then Jerry Lee talks quieter, almost to himself, you have to turn the CD up hear him.
"He was just so far ahead of his time, he was so great".
The then sings the first line of Money Honey, then the 'baby baby' bit in a pretty good impersonation of Elvis. Again, laughs all round.
"He had something the little girls liked.".
He talks to the studio engineer "you mean you never met Elvis?
"No sir, wish I had".
Again Jerry Lee is quiet. . "He was a real gentleman son. I'll never forget - I know people don't wanna hear this bullshit I'm talking about - he pulled right out in front here, and he had that 1956 Lincoln Mark I, I believe it was, I think it was, a white one. He got out that damn car and I wanted to see what he looked like, I was waitin' to meet mr 'Don't Be Cruel', he strode out that car and walked in and he looked exactly like he looked - dangerous!!! " (laughs)
Quieter again - "we had some times, but those days are gone".

He then goes on talking, playing, moaning about his wife - it's quite funny, but the Elvis bit is very telling I think. As much as he laughs about Elvis going in the army, you can tell he admires him for doing it, when he says "he served his time, he done it!".
The engineer he's chatting to is Jimmy Lott, he’s still there. I met him this year in Sun.

Cheers!

Thanks for this transcription.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:49 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote:He talks to the studio engineer "you mean you never met Elvis?
"No sir, wish I had".

Cheers!

There's a Jimmy Lott engineer still working at Sun and there was Jimmy Lott session drummer at Sun but not the same two people? Now there's a coincidence, well unless Lott is quite common as a name I guess, coz the Jimmy bit is. Just seeemed a nice coincidence.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:50 pm

There's a story in the All The Kings Men videos that Billy tells, about JLL playing piano at one of Elvis' partys. I thought he meant at Graceland but maybe it was in '69 in Las Vegas? I'd have to watch the video again to see. He says that JLL was whooping it up on the piano and all the guys and Elvis were really enjoying it and then Elvis went to his bedroom. Then the next morning Elvis was asking them all if they liked JLL and they were all like "Oh YEA he was great last night" and Elvis was like "WELL, if you like him so damn much you can go to work for HIM!!!!" lolol :lol:

JEFF d
Elvis fan