Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Loving You dvd

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:57 pm

I ordered 3 Elvis films (Loving You; King Creole; Flaming Star) around the 28th anniversary of his death, but I never got around to watching them (I have seen these films in the past). Yesterday, in honor of Elvis' Birthday I watched Loving You. I was really impressed by the pristine picture quality! They did a fine job with this film.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:13 pm

That reminds me... Was this movie filmed in widescreen? I have a European copy of this and the picture is nice and everything, BUT... it is in fullscreen, 4:3 format. Is yours in fullscreen too, Pete? If that's the case I need to replace my DVD. I agree this is a good film.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:20 pm

I got mine when it first came out in the states, from nbc.com, and it's in widescreen. Hope that helps.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 pm

JamieAKelley wrote:I got mine when it first came out in the states, from nbc.com, and it's in widescreen. Hope that helps.

Damn. I've been fooled! Thanks for the information, though. I'll get myself a real copy as soon as possible.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:02 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:I got mine when it first came out in the states, from nbc.com, and it's in widescreen. Hope that helps.

Damn. I've been fooled! Thanks for the information, though. I'll get myself a real copy as soon as possible.

Keith Richards, Jr.

You can buy the DVD for €7.99 shipping included on Playusa.com. This is RC 1 and NTSC though.

Re: Loving You dvd

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:27 am

Pete Dube wrote:I ordered 3 Elvis films (Loving You; King Creole; Flaming Star) around the 28th anniversary of his death, but I never got around to watching them (I have seen these films in the past). Yesterday, in honor of Elvis' Birthday I watched Loving You. I was really impressed by the pristine picture quality! They did a fine job with this film.

I'm guilty of this also. I've had my copy of LY for at least a year now. Just a couple of days ago, I finally opened it so I can watch it this upcoming weekend. Just got a widescreen TV, so this should look excellent on it.

Rich

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:00 am

I could never wait that long to watch my Loving You or King Creole DVDs... but... I did the same with Flaming Star, I've probably had this DVD at least 8 months and I finally watched it this past weekend!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:41 am

Anyone who hasn't seen Loving You in widescreen on DVD yet... you're in for one of the most impressive quality restoration jobs seen. After watching, go back to the old VHS tapes we had in the 80s....

I was going nuts the first time I saw it, the quality was so incredible. You can even kinda see which scenes were filmed in what order, as Elvis' hair dye is darker in some scenes than others, and some scenes you can see a bit of root out-growth, I think.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:25 am

I agree Jamie the DVD is FANTASTIC! It's like night and day from the old VHS. I wish this was more readily available to the public, as I had a fairly difficult time even getting mine! This DVD should be in every Wal-Mart and Best Buy for easy purchase in stores, like Clambake and Kid Galahad are. Since the younger generation seems to have such an issue with watching B&W...

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:17 pm

"Loving You" is the best restoration job they´ve done on an Elvis movie, apart from TTWII SE... The quality is simply stunning. Luckily it´s one of his best movies too, so the effort wasn´t wasted.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:37 pm

I have bought the US dvd a few years ago and I was astonished what they did with the picture! That dvd is a real must have and should be in everybodys collection!

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:06 pm

Keith -

It was shot in 1:78:1

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:12 pm

I understand a different ratio:-

A Personal Message from Adolph Zukor

It has always been our policy that pictures should be capable of being played in any theater in the world. Therefore, we recommend standard sprocket-hole film and standard position, single, optical sound track. To improve the exhibition of pictures, we do feel that screens should be as high and as wide as the theater can install.

A year ago last May we released SHANE as the first of the widescreen pictures from Paramount and have since perfected the VistaVision process to still further improve the definition and quality of picture. The first of the VistaVision pictures to go into release will be WHITE CHRISTMAS, to be released in October. Perspecta sound has been added to VistaVision prints and may be used, if desired, by any theater which has the proper equipment.

With regard to the shape of pictures on the screen, we are convinced that the most artistic shape is in a ratio of approximately 1.85:1, and we also find that this shape best fits the great majority of theatres. In the future we are confident that the best in the presentation of motion pictures will be obtained with VistaVision prints shown on a high, wide, seamless screen of this shape, and using excellent projection equipment.

ADOLPH ZUKOR
Chairman of the Board,
Paramount Pictures Corp.