Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Error in tracklisting FTD Loving You

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:11 pm

They mention track 13-34 as Loving You KX, but it is 13-33. They also mentio tracks 35-50 as KX take 1-15. but it is 34-48 !!

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:57 pm

yeah, I was making a iTunes tracklisting for the internet database [somebody has to do it] and noticed the same ... Strange that they missed this ..

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:50 pm

memphisflash wrote:yeah, I was making a iTunes tracklisting for the internet database [somebody has to do it] and noticed the same ... Strange that they missed this ..

What's so strange about that? The FTD catalogue is full errors and faults both tracklisting- and mastering-wise. The reason for this is that fans usually care for quantity rather than quality. The money makers runnig FTD would be absolutely foolish to invest their time and money in quality control.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:56 pm

I second this..sometimes it looks like they make this product in a great hurry..wrong take numbers...wrong editing..
..weird..
JMO

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:27 pm

after hearing the horrible fade-error on SOUTHERN NIGHTS I thought of the TT&F-Set and asked myself: isn't it since Tocano is responsible for the outtake-section that errors occur one after the other!?

That's globalization, I guess: outsourcing rules! And as long as people pay for it, this process will continue. Long live Karl Marx, he was right :D

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Here's an idea !

As we are finally getting tracks mastered properly because they are subcontracting the job out to real fans, why not do the same for sleeve notes and track-listings ?

Or, at the very least, get some of the Elvis experts to proof read the 'official' ones before publication !

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:25 pm

ColinB wrote:Here's an idea !

As we are finally getting tracks mastered properly because they are subcontracting the job out to real fans, why not do the same for sleeve notes and track-listings ?

Or, at the very least, get some of the Elvis experts to proof read the 'official' ones before publication !

Too radical Colin!

Also that would give less for the pemantly disgruntled to bitch about!

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:26 am

If the error would have been caught early enough they (FTD) would stop the presses and correct the mistakes and we would have a legit collectable ala Please Don't Drag That String Along ! Well, not that big :wink:

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:02 am

yeah i like Colins idea!- would be 'great' if that happened! 8)

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:41 am

see-see-rider wrote:The FTD catalogue is full errors.

Not just FTD. There are errors on several BMG releases pertaining to dates, takes, etc.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:29 am

they goofed over the years by putting studio banter with the wrong takes. which pisses me off royally. leave that alone!!!! release as recorded not doctoring nothing ernst!!!!
that's why i like studio session bootlegs over some rca/ftd because they don't screw with anything.
kevan and sebastian are the only ones who know how to master right everyone else at bmg/sony don't take time they half ass it.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:46 am

They really should reach out to one or two established fans do some proof-reading.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:35 am

Actually, as someone who's delved through the huge amounts of import and BMG CDs to compile studio sessions, there are so many mis-labeled bootlegs, too, it's crazy. BMG/Sony is right more often (although that's because there are so many boot companies with varrying degrees of quality) - neither have anywhere near a spotless track record.

That said, a proofread would be a great idea, and would pretty easily take care of the problem.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:57 pm

ritchie valens wrote:they goofed over the years by putting studio banter with the wrong takes. which pisses me off royally. leave that alone!!!! release as recorded not doctoring nothing ernst!!!!

Appropriate mastering and correct data would be fine as a start, I guess.

ritchie valens wrote:kevan and sebastian are the only ones who know how to master right everyone else at bmg/sony don't take time they half ass it.

Come on, that's not true. There definitively are people that care about Elvis' music and the mastering. Personally I wouldn't keep up neither Budd nor Jeansson too high. They're basically there by the grace of Jorgensen. There're still exchangeable any time, there're hundreds and thousands like them waiting on the open market. And compared to others they really haven't proven anything yet. So I wouldn't say they are the only ones who know how to master a recording well.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:22 pm

Irritating! But, I guess most of us have our own private database where we keep track of things and make corrections as they occure!
I live with the errors, minding myself we might have been close to get nothing at all if it wasn't for Ernst and Roger!
They do mistakes, but are forgiven for the goods they have brought along!

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:05 pm

ritchie valens wrote:they goofed over the years by putting studio banter with the wrong takes. which pisses me off royally. leave that alone!!!! release as recorded not doctoring nothing ernst!!!!

C'mon, guys, this was done to offer a slice of "Elvis in the studio" on mostly mainstream releases and perhaps an FTD or two. I appreciate the spirit of such efforts as raw and uncut tapes don't always have much commericial value. The die-hards can always break out a bootleg. Likewise, even "Southern Nights" and "the Impossible Dream" are compilations.

SeeSeeRider wrote:

Come on, that's not true. There definitively are people that care about Elvis' music and the mastering. Personally I wouldn't keep up neither (Keven) Budd nor (Sebastian) Jeansson too high. They're basically there by the grace of Jorgensen. There're still exchangeable any time, there're hundreds and thousands like them waiting on the open market. And compared to others they really haven't proven anything yet. So I wouldn't say they are the only ones who know how to master a recording well.

Let me get this right: you say Kevan Budd is no big deal? Do you also fiddle knobs yourself? Just curious, as you write as if you wish you had gotten the nod, while Budd has had praised heaped on him for his work remastering Elvis' Sun and early RCA work, in stark contrast to others who have had a turn at the wheel.

Kevan Budd - nothing special? I beg to differ and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:07 pm

see-see-rider wrote:

Appropriate mastering and correct data would be fine as a start, I guess.

ritchie valens wrote:kevan and sebastian are the only ones who know how to master right everyone else at bmg/sony don't take time they half ass it.

Come on, that's not true. There definitively are people that care about Elvis' music and the mastering. Personally I wouldn't keep up neither Budd nor Jeansson too high. They're basically there by the grace of Jorgensen. There're still exchangeable any time, there're hundreds and thousands like them waiting on the open market. And compared to others they really haven't proven anything yet. So I wouldn't say they are the only ones who know how to master a recording well.

Neither would I say they are the only ones who know how to master a recording well (I tend to prefer Vic Asesini's results where there is an option.) But can we compare a Sony technician earning $250 an hour with fans investing their own money & most of their free time doing crazy restoration jobs just for the sake of Elvis' music and a word of thanks ?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:25 pm

audiophiliac wrote:Neither would I say they are the only ones who know how to master a recording well (I tend to prefer Vic Asesini's results where there is an option.)

That's exactly what I meant. I don't have anything against both Kevan or Sebastian ... All I wanted to say is: They're (still) not the real big names in music industry remastering-wise. There's nothing wrong in saying this, I guess.

They've done one or two minor Elvis releases - and that's about it. The result was cool, no question about that. I love all the records that have Kevan Budd credited as remastering engineer. I mean, everything's better than Lene Reidel at last.

On the other hand they're still not that far into the business, they're not that experienced, busy and respected like let's say Vic Anesini or Steve Hoffman who've done many many classic remasters. It's simply not true and also a little, well, stupid to claim that these two are the only two persons in recording industry who care about the sound of Elvis' records and know how to do it right. I'm even sure that both don't want to be deemed like this.

It's nothing personal. I hope it didn't come over like that.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:29 am

Okay, that's a bit better, See-See.

But I'd be interested in hearing other opinions about your comments.