Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis... good to his fans

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:41 pm

I was just running through the Hawaii DVD and the part when Elvis first lands in the helicopter. Once Elvis gets out of the choper and has taken the time to kiss a few of the ladies and shake a few hands he's instructed by the Colonel to go off in the other direction. This leaves Elvis standing there with hundreds of fans he's yet to meet shaking his head not knowing what to do next. In true Elvis fashion, instead of following the Colonel's direction he continues on and greets many of the fans waiting to see him. I don't know if you all know the point in the DVD I'm talking about but it just struck a chord with me as something Elvis had continued to do all his life... keep his fans first. You can talk about all the other crap and misgivings in his life but he was a true class act when it came to his fans... he was real. He didn't do it for the publicity or the glory... he took the time because he knew that's what the people wanted... they wanted to see him, to touch him or just to take his picture. He made time for them. Unfortunately, how many entertainers can we say that about today? Just something that crossed my mind I wanted to put in a post.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:55 am

I noticed this on the first time I saw the footage! He didn´t leave without greeting his fans.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:45 am

I would BOLDLY say that compared to other entertainers past AND present Elvis treated his fans extremely well. This is evident in hundreds of candid photos, especially during the 50's and 60's, as well as the Aloha footage...

"Stars" like Robbie Williams would be well served to follow this example... I was a victim of his "piss off pal" prima-donna behaviour several years ago.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:51 am

Mark Nicholson wrote:I would BOLDLY say that compared to other entertainers past AND present Elvis treated his fans extremely well. This is evident in hundreds of candid photos, especially during the 50's and 60's, as well as the Aloha footage...

"Stars" like Robbie Williams would be well served to follow this example... I was a victim of his "piss off pal" prima-donna behaviour several years ago.



Yes Mark, we know - you bring it up at every opportunity :wink:

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:31 am

If I'm not mistaken doesn't he go around the whole area, or almost, shaking hands and kissing the ladies? This is just one of the reasons why I think new fans are attracted to him today and why the others who have been fans continue to be his fans. Elvis knew who gave him the success, after God, of course! I like a quote from the gospel special "He Touched Me" where someone said they once asked Elvis, "why do you always go over and start talking to the security guards when there are big entertainers in the room"? Elvis responded by saying the "little people need me more". Ok, I know that's probably not exactly what he said or how the question was stated but for the ones who have seen this special, I'm sure you know the part I am refering to :wink:

Re: Elvis... good to his fans

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:34 am

elvis-fan wrote:I was just running through the Hawaii DVD and the part when Elvis first lands in the helicopter. Once Elvis gets out of the choper and has taken the time to kiss a few of the ladies and shake a few hands he's instructed by the Colonel to go off in the other direction. This leaves Elvis standing there with hundreds of fans he's yet to meet shaking his head not knowing what to do next. In true Elvis fashion, instead of following the Colonel's direction he continues on and greets many of the fans waiting to see him. I don't know if you all know the point in the DVD I'm talking about but it just struck a chord with me as something Elvis had continued to do all his life... keep his fans first. You can talk about all the other crap and misgivings in his life but he was a true class act when it came to his fans... he was real. He didn't do it for the publicity or the glory... he took the time because he knew that's what the people wanted... they wanted to see him, to touch him or just to take his picture. He made time for them. Unfortunately, how many entertainers can we say that about today? Just something that crossed my mind I wanted to put in a post.


Very well said Brad. How many pictures have we seen of him standing in a crowd of fans or at the gates of Graceland.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:52 am

I've never been to an Elvis concert! But, judging from what people say who has been there, comments like: .."you could almost feel the love in the room.." and so on.
Elvis interacted with his audience in a way which were different from anyone else.
What made him so great, was that he was so down to earth himself!
There can be no doubt that Elvis was a caring person, who really cared for people. And that also showed when he performed in front of a live audience. We, his fans knew! That's why we still love him and miss him so much.
Still, he's around every single day!

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:09 am

I still remember to this day, how very surprised I was, when I watched "That's The Way It Is: Special Edition" (it was more of a shock than a surprise) for the first time (it was also the very first time that I watched a concert footage with Elvis) and he jumped off the stage and started to walk among the audience, and I saw how nervous the Memphis Mafia members were!

I don't think that any entertainer, past or present, has ever done that!!! But please correct me if I'm wrong.


But on a little side note; why hasn't EPE offered to switch out the dvd disc that has the technical glitch on it (Aloha disc nr. 1)?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:16 am

I think that clip says a lot about the type of person Elvis really was. I noticed it the first time I saw it, and it was a very generous gesture considering the pressure he was under at the time.

Many performers would have made excuses about rehearsals and disappeared.

If EPE ever gets around to completing their “Anthology” that clip should be in it.

Re: Elvis... good to his fans

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:53 am

elvis-fan wrote:In true Elvis fashion, instead of following the Colonel's direction he continues on and greets many of the fans waiting to see him.


There are still some like that around, but they are few and far between. Elvis definitely loved his fans.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 am

... and maybe that's another reason why his fans still love him more than 28 years after he's gone.
Last edited by Jove on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 am

I am sure certain fans made him cringe http://www.regencystamps.com/public/52/ ... ot1012.jpg

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:53 am

Jim Dandy wrote:I am sure certain fans made him cringe http://www.regencystamps.com/public/52/ ... ot1012.jpg


Jim, I can't make out what the man is doing in that picture?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:12 am

He's being Jim Curtin

fan safety

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:25 pm

One of my main memories of the Charleston WV, afternoon show on July 12, 1975 was his concern for the safety of the crowd. Right before "Can't Help Falling in Love, the stage was absoultly MOBBED on 3 sides, Elvis kept saying "step back, don't crowd each other" and during the song he kept saying "be carefull".

The reason it stuck out in my mind was having disected every neuance of the live RCA LPs at that time....I'd never heard him do this repeatedly. And ALL the body guards came out and pulled cops UP ON STAGE. Elvis seemed (to me) to stay out longer and shake as many hands as he could reaching over all the security that were on their knees along the edge of the stage.

....and Springsteen used to do the jump into the crowd bit a lot. He would lay on the crowd's outstretched arms and end up out in the 10th row or better.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:He's being Jim Curtin


Yeah, and maybe he should have been holding the hand of his girlfriend instead of cavorting with the stars. :wink:

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:44 am

I wanted to jump in here with one of my favorite Elvis/fan incidents that I think speaks volumes.

Elvis' Hillcrest home in Beverly Hills probably had the most fans hanging around on a daily basis than any of his other homes in Calif. Apparently Priscilla got fed up with the whole scene and had the BH patrol come out and put up cones so no one could park anywhere on the street in front of their house. That didn't deter some who just parked further down and walked up to the gate. That made her even more irritated and she came out to tell everyone, in no uncertain terms that "Elvis doesn't want you here - go home and leave us alone". Ok - I can see her point and I might get testy too in her shoes however, it really upset everyone.

Everyone gathered at the bottom of the hill and once the initial dismay wore off a few of the fans remembered something Elvis had once said - (after a similar incident with one of the boys) namely, "unless you hear it directly from me, don't believe anyone who tries to tell you what I am thinking or feeling". The bottom of the hill had two semi cul-de-sac areas where cars could park so that's where everyone waited for his return from the studios where he was filming.

After a very short wait here comes the Continental which drives right past everyone; then stops - the backup lights go on and back down comes the car. Elvis rolls down the window and says "what's going on?" . Everyone started talking at once and he kept saying ONE AT A TIME. So one gal proceeded to tell him what was going on up the hill.

He didn't say too much....just said "wait here until I find out what's going on". What seemed like an eternity went by but he came back down the hill and in so many words said there were some familly issues so in order to keep the home front stress free (not his words) but the idea; he told everyone to just wait for him at the bottom of the hill and he would stop every day on his way home. He kept his word but after about 4 or 5 days - the cones were all gone and it wasn't long before everything went right back to how it was.

Sandi

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:25 am

DutchLA wrote:I wanted to jump in here with one of my favorite Elvis/fan incidents that I think speaks volumes.

Elvis' Hillcrest home in Beverly Hills probably had the most fans hanging around on a daily basis than any of his other homes in Calif. Apparently Priscilla got fed up with the whole scene and had the BH patrol come out and put up cones so no one could park anywhere on the street in front of their house. That didn't deter some who just parked further down and walked up to the gate. That made her even more irritated and she came out to tell everyone, in no uncertain terms that "Elvis doesn't want you here - go home and leave us alone". Ok - I can see her point and I might get testy too in her shoes however, it really upset everyone.

Everyone gathered at the bottom of the hill and once the initial dismay wore off a few of the fans remembered something Elvis had once said - (after a similar incident with one of the boys) namely, "unless you hear it directly from me, don't believe anyone who tries to tell you what I am thinking or feeling". The bottom of the hill had two semi cul-de-sac areas where cars could park so that's where everyone waited for his return from the studios where he was filming.

After a very short wait here comes the Continental which drives right past everyone; then stops - the backup lights go on and back down comes the car. Elvis rolls down the window and says "what's going on?" . Everyone started talking at once and he kept saying ONE AT A TIME. So one gal proceeded to tell him what was going on up the hill.

He didn't say too much....just said "wait here until I find out what's going on". What seemed like an eternity went by but he came back down the hill and in so many words said there were some familly issues so in order to keep the home front stress free (not his words) but the idea; he told everyone to just wait for him at the bottom of the hill and he would stop every day on his way home. He kept his word but after about 4 or 5 days - the cones were all gone and it wasn't long before everything went right back to how it was.

Sandi


What a cool story! Did you take any pictures or 8mm film you can share here?
What other stories do you have?
When Elvis was in CA in the 1970s, did he pull his car up to chat and sign autograghs or was this really something that mainly happened from 1966-1970?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:17 pm

What a cool story! Did you take any pictures or 8mm film you can share here?
What other stories do you have?
When Elvis was in CA in the 1970s, did he pull his car up to chat and sign autograghs or was this really something that mainly happened from 1966-1970?

---------

Yes I took photos. Elvis was always very gracious in that aspect. I don't know how to post photos here but there's no lack of them on the internet.
Also have plenty of stories - to the point where I could probably get really obnoxious!

Elvis was always great about spending time with the fans up until he moved into the Monovale house . I think part of the reason it ended then was 1) the way the house was situated, there really was very little room for fans to park (it was right off Sunset Blvd). They had patrol that enforced the no parking and unlike all his previous homes in California, at the Monovale house you could see NOTHING from the street. So, gone were the days of him visiting at the gate however ... a small group of fans continued to be invited into the home - but no new ones, just ones that had been in the other homes.

Back to the other homes - I would say Elvis would stop the car either coming home or going to the studio, 99% of the time. Many days he would drive in, get out of the car and walk back up to the gate and stand there for long periods of time visiting, posing for photos, signing things etc.

One day one of the fans pushed the speaker and said "can Elvis come out and play?" - as a joke. Next thing the front door opens and out walks Elvis. Worked so well they tried it again the next day -- ok, he only fell for that once! There was a core group of fans that Elvis got to know by name and that I think he just generally felt comfortable around...made for some fun times.