American Trilogy
Heartbreak Hotel
For The Good Times
How Great Thou Art
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
A Big Hunk O' Love
Funny How Time Slips Away
Can't Help Falling In Love

I never noticed before what an amazing set list there is for this show.
On content alone, it betters the evening performance (with the exception of missing "Sweet, Sweet Spirit" which I love)
Having never heard the show, I can't comment on how Elvis sounded but I gotta believe he was in good voice.
Does anyone know if RCA happened to record this show?
I know MGM didn't film it but I was wondering if RCA captured the sound tracks?

Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:57 pm

According to the various session books and biographies RCA didn’t start recording until the Evening Show on April 9. Unfortunately, a soundboard recording of the Hampton afternoon show hasn’t surfaced either, but I think that remains a possibility. Elvis also wore the Red Burning Love jumpsuit during the evening show in Richmond Virginia on the next day of the tour, and both the MGM cameras, and RCA’s multi-track recording equipment were present. The Richmond show is only represented in the documentary by brief clips of “Until It’s Time For You To Go”, and “Love Me Tender”, so I would guess that there are quite a few performances from that show gathering dust in the MGM vaults. Hopefully Joe Tunzi’s forthcoming “Sessions III” will provide further information on this.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:15 pm

That´s truly a great show. I have an audience recording (got it from Merijn!) which really tells me that this might have been the best show of the tour. The sound in Elvis´ voice is just raw and amazingly strong, just like it ws during the evening show at the same venue. In my opinion the afternoon show is much better than the evening show, just look at the set list; AMAZING!!! :) Too bad they weren´t recording this instead of the Greensboro or San Antonio show.

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:36 pm

MB280E,

Any idea what that show clocks in at?
It's gotta be around 75-80 minutes.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:52 pm

Hi elvis-fan,

No I can´t remember the playing time on that recording but it´s obviously one of the longest shows on that tour, so 70-80 minutes shouldn´t be that far away from the truth I guess. It´s really a fantastic concert. Jailhouse Rock is great and powerful and so is One Night. It´s Elvis at his best and very simular to the shows he performed during his best in November 1971; Houston, Tuscaloosa, Dallas and Cincinnati if you have heard any of those recordings. I am really hoping that Tunzi´s new recording sessions book can shed some light on the soundboards from the April 1972 tour.

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Hampton Roads April 9 /72 A.S. set list

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:02 pm

I found this info from this site that I stumbled across:

http://www.elvispresleypedia.com/epedia ... ife/38.htm

Re: Hampton Roads April 9 /72 A.S. set list

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I found this info from this site that I stumbled across:

http://www.elvispresleypedia.com/epedia ... ife/38.htm

Thanks Tony!!