Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Tickle Me - Parody of the typical Elvis-movie?

Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:12 pm

I posted this one on another messageboard a few months ago. e.(Sheffield Uk)'s (what a nick) review of "Easy Come, Easy Go" (he/she mentions "Tickle Me" as being the last Elvis movie he/she hasn't seen yet) made me remember it. "Tickle Me" is a somehow special movie IMO and I thought this could be a chance to post my review here.

Silly, cheap, predictable - and entertaining!!
On the one hand I don't get what "Tickle Me" is all about. It is so silly, cheap, constructed and predictable like no other movie before or after. The funny thing on the other hand is that it doesn't really hurt like other movies do (e.g. "Frankie & Johnny", "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" or "Clambake"). In fact "Tickle Me" is pretty funny and entertaining!

The reason for this is that IMO this film is something like the parody of the formulistic Elvis-movie. What do you think? Everything is sooo overdone it simply makes you laugh. Is it possible that this is a stylistic device to show how contrived many of Elvis' other movies are? Even the fact that this one was shot in the studio (and ONLY in the studio) with the whole background (sky, mountains, feedlot, everything) simply PAINTED ON A WALL(!) makes you first scream - and then laugh ... :lol:

It's sooo overdrawn ...
Elvis' character is so overdone like never before: He shows up at the ranch - and of course gets the job. All the women love him - except one (the one who's heart he wants to win). He sings a song at the haystack - and everybody immidiately leaves everything they're doing just to hear and see him sing. Then all the women exactly know how to dance with Elvis. Elvis by the way has the time to sing whenever he feels like it (instead of working). One should think this is what the usual Elvis movie is all about. I can't explain why but here it is so terribly overdone that it makes you laugh and enjoy it in fact. The end of the movie - Elvis and the girl serching for the gold in this hotel - is really funny and somehow even scaring.

Humor you wouldn't expect in an Elvis-movie
Also Elvis' sidekick (this Jerry Lewis kind of guy) is absolutely funny. There're also some scenes you wouldn't expect in an Elvis movie with some nice oneliners. For example there's a scene where the two (Elvis and his pal) are chasing the girl in a Jeep and all three of them are thinking why they're doing this and all that and you can only hear the voices in their heads. And suddenly Elvis looks at the guy next to him and comments what the guy has just thought. That's so surprising it really makes you laugh. A kind of humor I didn't expect in an Elvis movie.

The flashback scene where he comes into the saloon, throws his hat through the room exactly onto the head of the bartender and he then goes to the bar and orders a drink is among the best in an Elvis comedy. When he's there in this super-cool macho manner, gets this glass full of milk, takes a gulp and then caughs as if it were whiskey is hilarious! Sometimes I had the impression that even Elvis was amused by what he was doing as silly as it might have been.

Burlesque with strong soundtrack
All in all this movie is one of the funniest Elvis ever made and one of the most entertaining from the time of 1964-67. It probably has to do with how exaggerated everything is and that it is probably the only movie that threw the light of irony on the typical Elvis vehicle. Probably the only burlesque next to the often bashed "Stay Away, Joe". Also the soundtrack is pretty strong as Allied Artist didn't have the money to produce new songs they simply took 1960-63 studio songs by Elvis. Most of them work pretty good in the movie.
Last edited by see-see-rider on Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:21 pm

see-see-rider -

Good review !

Now there's a thought, instead of all those throw-away film songs, they could have raided his studio back-catalogue for all his film soundtracks !

The Colonel would have missed out on the new soundtrack albums I guess.

tickle me

Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:19 pm

agree with your review tm is a well funny film
i had this on a cine film that i trransferred to video with a running time of around 15 mins i liked the short version
so got the full version in very good quality loved it (horse on dirty dirty feeling )very silly but very amusing
this morning i decided to put them on a dvd_r with the relative trailer and cant wait to watch it now

Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:56 pm

Does anyone know BTW where I can buy the original (widescreen) version of this movie on VHS (PAL)? I don't think there's a DVD version yet, right?

Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:05 pm

It certainly didn't hurt to have Jocelyn Lane in the movie.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:49 pm

Nice shot, Brad!

Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:50 pm

elvis-fan wrote:It certainly didn't hurt to have Jocelyn Lane in the movie.

Uh, no ... It didn't really hurt, I guess ... :D :D :D I know what you mean ...

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:23 am

Thank you, Brad. The only thing better might be a bikini shot. My boy, my boy!

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:30 am

let me just say that I have always loved this movie and I, too, think it's a riot in some of those scenes done at Martin Woodruff's hotel! the scene where he sings "Easy Question" looks so damn fake...LOL in some parts, his lip synching is not even qued up right, but it's hardly a distraction, at least to me! I've always read that this movie saved Allied Artists from going bankrupt? if so, then it's definetely worth giving a decent transfer to DVD!!! i've also thought that the name Lonnie Beale was so funny! and one more thing, Jocelyn Lane was BEAUTIFUL in that movie, very sexy! how 'bout the scene where Elvis is daydreaming and he's a cowboy and goes up to Stanley as the bartender and says "the usual...leave the bottle"....coughs after drinking the milk! it's amazing that the stingy ass Col. didn't want to release a soundtrack to this movie, but would release a budget album called "Burning Love and Hits...vol.1"!? or let alone the "Easy Come, Easy Go" EP.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:48 am

Someone mentioned that "another" good reason to watch "Tickle Me" is to see Jocelyn Lane. Believe me, that is the ONLY reason to see this movie!
There are several people on this board who also love "Harum Scarum". Those two are two of the worst movies Elvis ever made.
The haystack scene where Elvis sings, the girls dance and Elvis tries to dance.....it's one of the most embarassing moments to see in an Elvis movie.
I saw this so-called movie when it came out. I was 13. I hated it then. I watched it again a few years ago. My views haven't changed. I don't think I could ever force myself to sit through it again.
Oh yeah, did I mention that I didn't like this movie?

jeff R
Last edited by jeffreyjames on Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:56 am

About the format of the movie, I think this starts as a 'normal' Elvis movie and then after the attack to the ladyes it changes, the main characters swich roles and turns into a Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis type of movie and relation between the two main characters.

Also some scenes in the hotel and that type of mistery is very similar to the 'scared stiff' (martins and Lewis) movie.

Personally I like it, it is different than the others.

Problem behind all the movies that are commedies is that we know where they fit and what we expected from the Elvis.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:55 pm

Very interesting spin on the movie "Tickle Me." It is indeed very funny and could be seen as a parody. I just don't think that's what the good ole' Colonel had in mind. My guess is that he was looking to make the least expensive movie possible at the time to line his own pockets. Some might say that was good business- too bad it made such a "joke" out of Elvis. But you're right, watching it now can be extremely entertaining (but not in the way the makers of the film intended?).

Nashnet

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:46 pm

It IS a bad movie, but I like it because it is fun. I always get a chuckle out of that "dance" move Elvis and the ladies use by the barn. That "motorcycle revving" movement with the hands is pretty comical.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:04 pm

I think Tickle Me, although in the stinker section of Elvis films, is that bad, its actually good in a weird kind of way! The two e.p.`s released from this film, were some of the first releases i ever bought (in the 70`s), so its the songs that really make this film for me. And plus you have one of the first appearence`s of Elvis` pot belly, that would fully mature by the shooting of Paradise Hawiian Style.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:10 pm

see-see-rider wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:It certainly didn't hurt to have Jocelyn Lane in the movie.

Uh, no ... It didn't really hurt, I guess ... :D :D :D I know what you mean ...

SEE SEE
YOU'LL THINK ELVIS SHOULD OF MARRIED JOCELYN.

CURTIS SIMPKINS

Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:41 pm

OK KHoots, I do not consider myself sexist but, you asked for it.

(I hope none of the ladies on this board are offended by this.
I just thought the guys might get a kick out it - this is Jocelyn Lane by the way)

Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:10 am

Damn, where did you get this picture from ??? from an old dusty commodore 64 computer ??? we use a lot more colors than 16 today ;-)

TICKLE ME

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:26 am

for finding this movie one of the most entertaining Elvis movies ever, wachted at the time it came out and beeing shown in the Cinema!
The people filling the theatre back then also found it entertaining and fun!
Now, after all these years and beers, it's so easy to remake and break!
I find myself, going over the old movies with my 4 year old son, like
FLAMING STAR, ROUSTABOUT and CHARRO wich are some of his favs, and reconsidering again!
The Elvis movie still is something special! I'm thought to believe that his HOLLYWOOD years were all downhill!
I'm still puzzled to find positive elements, every time I watch an Elvis movie over, years after!
And I even find his later 60's movies even better than what I though back then!
So as you grow, you change and so does the impression of all these fun, good ol' Elvis movies!
Now, I kinda like 'em all! (With a few exc)

Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:33 am

Thankyaverymuch!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:10 am

My 2 cents worth:

"Frankie & Johnny" is a fine film! One of my favorites. At least in that film when Elvis sings, it is within a realistic context of making music, unlike "Tickle Me" where he bursts into song at the ranch and there's no musicians anywhere! lol music from the sky lol

re: Jocelyn Lane...I bet E nailed her to the headboard while holding her ankles down beside her ears, and those pouty lips of hers were begging him to never stop. :twisted: She is the sexiest co-star he ever had.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:16 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:re: Jocelyn Lane...I bet E nailed her to the headboard while holding her ankles down beside her ears, and those pouty lips of hers were begging him to never stop. :twisted: She is the sexiest co-star he ever had.

Wow, I didn't expect to evoke reactions like this when I wrote my little posting on Tickle Me ... :lol: This really is "music from the sky" ...!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:29 am

hey Gardener, the piece on Elvis nailin' Jocelyn was hysterical! I just hope in real life that E really did stuff her like a christmas turkey!!! lol :D :D :D

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:29 am

Pretty immature comments children! If he did, why should anyone care?
If he didn't, why should anyone care? In other words, who cares!

jeff R

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:22 am

jeffreyjames wrote:Pretty immature comments children! If he did, why should anyone care?
If he didn't, why should anyone care? In other words, who cares!

jeff R

Golly, Jeff R, judging by your comment on this thread (and your comment on the "Honorary Oscar" thread) you must have stopped by the mb to spread some sunshine :D

NOT.

Take a colonic ya grouchy little old lady.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:57 am

wait a second...jeff R, do "children talk that way"? when u say children, u mean 12 and under, right? and since when is it against the law to make tongue in cheek adult comments to another adult? I don't see a parental advisory label on here, do u? If YOU don't care, why bother posting? contradictory posting? no harm done...