Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Happy Birthday Sam Phillips

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:40 pm

The great man was born this day in 1923.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:41 pm

And it would be 83

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:00 pm

I met Sam Phillips at a bookshop in London a few years ago and there was hardly anyone there, maybe 30 and it was such an honour to meet him.
He took time to have a chat with me and he signed my album which i smudged. :twisted:

Got some great pics of myself with him which i will treasure all my life.What a great man.

He could have walked down the high street unnoticed but was one of the most important men in modern day music.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:13 pm

Happy Samday, Jan 5 = Sun-Day.

Re: Happy Birthday Sam Phillips

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:11 am

KHoots wrote:The great man was born this day in 1923.

His sympathetic, revolutionary blues and rock recordings with both black and white artists in the early fifties was a brave thing to do in a conservative southern state like Tennessee.

Part of Sam's outlook was the get to the soul of man in his recordings, the color or creed of the artist was unimportant.

God bless his democratic vision, and the legacy of SUN Records.

DJC

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:53 am

Yeah, good old Sam !

I wonder how different the world would be now if he had never been born ?

Would Elvis have wandered into someone else's recording studio in 1953 ?

Would they have been interested ?

Would they have given him his first chance in '54 ?

Would they have eventually coaxed That's All Right out of him ?

Somehow I doubt it !

Sam

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:55 am

My favorite Phillips quote: "You hear me talk a lot about 'feel' in music. Feel is my John 3:16"

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:19 am

Happy birthday, Sam, whereever you are... :cry:

I met this great man in 1996 (wow, it´s nearly ten years now) an found him very carismatic. He answered every question, that I had and he turned no one wanting his autograph down. :P

Without him, there would be no Elvis legacy! :( :cry: :cry:

Happy birthday... and rest in peace! :wink:

O.S.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am

Happy birthday, Sam! Perhaps Colin is right. The world may be a different place if Sam hadn't coaxed "That's All Right" from E. Rest in peace..........
sue

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Happy Birthday Sam. Thanksamillion for being so patient back in 1954 with the young man we all learnt to love so much. Not for just his music but for being, Elvis Presley.

http://press.xtvworld.com/article8662.html

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Not taking anything away from Sam. Rest in Peace!

Thank goodness, Sam believed in Marion's advice for calling back that weird-long-haired-truck-driver from Crown Electric, who stopped in to make a recording present for his mama!

Simple luck sometimes has way of making greatness!

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:49 am

SouthPaw wrote:Thank goodness, Sam believed in Marion's advice for calling back that weird-long-haired-truck-driver from Crown Electric, who stopped in to make a recording present for his mama!

Simple luck sometimes has way of making greatness!

It was more than luck. That first SUN visit in July 1953 -- two months after Gladys' 41st birthday -- was more likely Elvis wanting to be heard, to be noticed, to at least hear what he sounded like when he took the disc home.

However, it was Marion who noticed him that day, making a tape of 75% of the recordings and a note for Sam. God bless her intuition, and appreciation of male beauty.

After at least one more visit in January, Sam finally called Elvis to SUN for a formal try-out in June.

And the rest is history. Lucky us!

DJC