Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why are they holding out?

Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:50 am

Many fans have complained that on certain DVD and video releases certain songs have been cut from Elvis films and concerts. The reason we are told that these songs are not there is because of disagreements on publishing etc. Meaning the publishers held out for more money.

Ok, I can accept this on a song like "Are You Lonesome To-Night?" (which should be out of copyright now because it is 76 years old) and "Blue Suede Shoes". But when we're talking about a song like "Starting Tonight" from "Girl Happy" I am completely befuddled.

What is to gain by holding out on a pedestrian song like this? The only reason anybody would want to hear it is because it was sung by Elvis Presley in a movie. To make it worse only the hardest core fans are even familiar with this as a track. It's not something Travis Tritt is going to cover tomorrow. You would figure that the DVD or Video version (along with the soundtrack) would be the only way the owners of this song would make even two cents off of it.

What greener grass could there possibly be? Isn't better to make a little than nothing?

Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:14 pm

Well said, there again I think "Are You Lonesome Tonight" should not be edited out either. I think if it runs out of copyright or whatever, Buy it back for God sake, it's really now known as an Elvis song. It should not be edited out of nothing, neither should "Startin' Tonight" there still available on CD, so why not DVD.
I think it's so they can repackage 'em again in a few years, and get everybody to buy 'em, yet again. To make more money.

CRAZY

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:09 am

"Starting Tonight" missing from GIRL HAPPY may seem trivial but it sets a precedent for a larger problem.

That would be like buying the JAILHOUSE ROCK DVD and discovering that the "Jailhouse Rock" scene has been deleted!

Would someone please add to this list of what songs are under copyright/royalty suppression from being included on products.

ELVIS '68 Comeback Special.... "Are You Lonesome Tonight" (Right?)

Aloha Via Satellite.... "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" *

(*The ALTERNATE ALOHA vhs videotape released by LightYear Entertainment in 1996 does included "ISLICC" - this must have been before the problem occured with the Williams publishing holders, correct?)

any more situations where something is not being released with intact performances?

CK

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:37 am

Publishing details for Startin' Tonight.

STARTIN TONIGHT BMI Work #1404717
Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #
MILLROSE VICTOR DON (USA 2) ASCAP 0
ROSENBLATT LENORE ASCAP 26727970
Publishers
CHERRY RIVER MUSIC CO (ELVIS P BMI 6014931
CHRYSALIS SONGS (ELVIS PRESLEY BMI 223437395
LENORE ROSENBLATT PUB BMI 252893936

This is copied from the BMI site.

So you see that two-thirds of the publishing is that of EPE companies.

Thus it follows that any claim that publishers have blocked release is a blatant lie - assuming that the two-third interests would out vote the one-third :!:

Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:10 am

That's interesting Kiwi but it raises more questions than it answers. I mean for a song like "Starting Tonight" there just aren't going to be that many money making opportunities. I can't see any advantages to holding it out of the video. Plus the estate must have an interest in some of the other "Girl Happy" tracks.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:08 am

Clark,

There is also "I Can't Stop Loving You" missing from the Aloha show, and "Smokey Mountain Boy" from "kissin Cousins", VHS video.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:51 am

On the video copies which include the songs in "copyright-question," I always make sure to fast forward to an "acceptable" track. Anyone else? :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:31 am

KHoots wrote:On the video copies which include the songs in "copyright-question," I always make sure to fast forward to an "acceptable" track. Anyone else? :lol:

I PROMISE ...........

......... I swear before the altar of EPE ............. :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....