Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Tour That Never Was

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Is there a list of the planned venues for the tour after elvis' death in 1977?

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:44 pm

The Tour That Never Was:

17 Aug 8.30pm Portland, ME
18 Aug 8.30pm Portland, ME
19 Aug 8.30pm Utica, NY
20 Aug 8.30pm Syracuse, NY
21 Aug 8.30pm Hartford, CT
22 Aug 8.30pm Uniondale, NY
23 Aug 8.30pm Lexington, KY
24 Aug 8.30pm Roanoke, VA
25 Aug 8.30pm Fayetteville, TN
26 Aug 8.30pm Asheville, C
27 Aug 8.30pm Memphis, TN
28 Aug 8.30pm Memphis, TN

I´ve seen the last Memphis date listed as a matinee somewhere, but I doubt it was, since he didn´t play any afternoon shows at all after September 1976. Nice to see he was going to play Asheville again (he said he would return in 77 at one of the July 75 shows)...

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks for the listing.

Not many new destinations at all...

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:02 pm

Thomas wrote:Thanks for the listing.

Not many new destinations at all...

Thats because he was still managed by The Colonel :wink:

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:44 am

Was Elvis scheduled to do another Vegas stand at the end of 1977? It is hard to imagine him being able to perform twice a night for a couple of weeks in the condition he was in at the time of his death.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:46 am

The new arena at the Hilton was suppose to open and Elvis was going to break it in but I do not know any contracts were in place with the Hilton.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:57 am

midnightx wrote:Was Elvis scheduled to do another Vegas stand at the end of 1977? It is hard to imagine him being able to perform twice a night for a couple of weeks in the condition he was in at the time of his death.

Midnightx -
He might have only done 2 shows a night on Fridays and Saturdays, as he did during the December '76 engagement.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:05 am

I don't know why I say this, where I read it or anything, but I understood it was to be a 2 week only engagement.

The contract was in place as the standard contract, there wasn't any other contract drawn up just for that particular engagement i wouldn't have thought.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:12 am

I remember reading somewhere that Elvis didn't want to play in Vegas in '77, so Colonel made only a contract for a "necessary" fortnight.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:23 am

Wasn't there supposed to be a september tour as well?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:55 am

It would be nice if it was like this:

17 Aug 8.30pm São Paulo, SP (My birthday!!!)
18 Aug 8.30pm São Paulo, SP
19 Aug 8.30pm São Paulo, SP
20 Aug 8.30pm Belo Horizonte, MG
21 Aug 8.30pm Rio Grande do Sul, RS
22 Aug 8.30pm Paraná, PR
23 Aug 8.30pm Rio de Janeiro, RJ
24 Aug 8.30pm Goias, GO
25 Aug 8.30pm Vitória, ES
26 Aug 8.30pm Bahia, BA
27 Aug 8.30pm Amazonas, AM
28 Aug 8.30pm São Paulo (Morumbi Stadium with 150.000 people attending the final concert), SP

Then Elvis would follow to Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Venezuela, Equador, Colombia, Chile and Bolivia.

The South America tour that never was.

Good to dream isn´t it????

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:10 am

Assuming Elvis was healthy enough to endure international touring, there is no doubt that if he had a different manager in 78, he would have toured Europe, Asia and Australia. He would have generated a lot more money than his tours of secondary U.S. markets, Las Vegas engagements and unflattering budget TV specials.

Who knows, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that Parker would have ultimately put together some European tour dates with Peter Grant. Elvis and Parker were struggling financially and his touring was going nowhere fast. It almost seems like his road-show was at the stage his movies were at the time of their conclusion. Something new needed to be done in the near future, so international touring may have been the only alternative as Parker would not put Elvis in the position to record anything substantial and Elvis was in NO condition to start dabbling in acting again.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:33 am

What if, the eternal question for the Elvis fan.

So sad it will never get answer

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:39 am

Was this tour sold out already at the time of his death?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:53 am

Thomas wrote:Not many new destinations at all.

I was supposed to be at one of the "new" ones. We were getting tickets from someone who couldn't make it to the show in Lexington.

As it turned out, they were not the only ones who couldn't make it.

On a side note, wasn't it reported (or fictionalized) by someone who said that Elvis was supposed to propose to Ginger on stage in Memphis on the last day of the tour? Supposedly to blow the book sideways.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:54 am

That would have been great: A drug problem, broke and married to Ginger Alden! :shock:

Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:00 am

I don't think Vegas dates were planned for Christmas 1977.

Col. Parker probably could forecast that ahead of time and fan clubs would know not to expect Elvis there in '77.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:09 pm

944cabby wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a september tour as well?

I´ve seen tickets for sale at Ebay and other places, for shows in late September ´77... of course, these could be fake tickets, but unless Parker was being kind enough to give Elvis a holiday, I suppose another tour would have been set up by the time of his death.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:19 pm

Joe Car wrote:Was this tour sold out already at the time of his death?

I don't know was it a total sold out but it probably was at least almost sold out. There was a problem with the ticket returns as thousands of people didn't return their ticket but held on to them as a souvenier. This resulted the strange situation where the concert promoters had hundreds of thousands of dollars that weren't refunded. In the late 80's EPE decided that the money belonged to them and sued the promoters demanding the money. They actually won some cases but in Memphis I think the court decided that the money was legally abanded and belonged to State. A bit strange thinking from EPE that they should have the money from concerts Elvis never did.
Last edited by Marko on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:30 pm

I just did a quick search and found these dates for September 1977:

16 Sept Terre Haute, Indiana Indiana State University
20 Sept Huntington, West Virginina Civic Center
26 Sept Terre Haute, Indiana Indiana State University
28 Sept Savannah, Georgia

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:29 pm

don't believe all of that... i have a Terra Heute ticket but i got Savannah too (and that's a fake) REAL tickets have the small printed conditions on the back of the ticket -so WATCH OUT! :(

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:03 pm

Yeah, I´ve been told there are fakes out there... but it would be interesting to know if any of the September tour dates are genuine, even if the tickets are fake!

tour that never was song

Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:36 pm

wonder if there was rehearsed some new songs or planned to play some new songs. with new i mean songs that didnt get played during the june tour

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:36 pm

wonder if there was rehearsed some new songs or planned to play some new songs. with new i mean songs that didnt get played during the june tour

Elvis hadn't rehearsed for a tour in a very very long time. There is no indication that he spent anytime rehearsing for the fall tour. And what would have been the motivation? If he had no motivation for rehearsing new material for the CBS special, there is no reason to think he would have been motivated to rehearse new material for secondary markets. He was completely going through the motions at this point.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:06 am

I have heard that there was a hold date in 1978, on a venue in Tulsa for a concert that was to be at Oral Roberts University. I think they just ask them way in advance to hold that date open and then that's when Parkers' office trys to work everything out in their schedule.

JEFF d
Elvis fan