Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Louisiana Hayride - Piano Player?

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:06 pm

I was listening to the LA Hayride acetates on Sunrise this morning - I was impressed with the performances despite the poor quality. What came to my attention was the fact that there is a piano player audible on some of the tracks - Money Honey, Tweedle Dee, I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine and Hearts of Stone.

Anyone know who played on these tracks? Does it make it possible to date them accurately - i think they're from early 55 but have to look it up.

Was the piano player a regular with Elvis?

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Louisiana Hayride - Piano Player?

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:39 am

AndrewJ wrote:I was listening to the LA Hayride acetates on Sunrise this morning - I was impressed with the performances despite the poor quality. What came to my attention was the fact that there is a piano player audible on some of the tracks - Money Honey, Tweedle Dee, I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine and Hearts of Stone.

Anyone know who played on these tracks? Does it make it possible to date them accurately - i think they're from early 55 but have to look it up.

Yes indeed, the twenty year-old Presley's performances are amazing, despite audio drawbacks.

It's SO refreshing to read on this MB someone who cares enough to appreciate and enjoy these incredible moments with Elvis, Scotty and Bill.

As to your queries, the recordings are from 15 and 22 January 1955. The "Hayride" had a regular piano player named Leon Post and steel guitar player Sonny Trammel around to "fill out" the sound of some guests. They are most likely on all the tracks above.

There is an April 30, 1955 rendition of "Tweedlee Dee" with Jimmy Day playing the steel and the one and only Floyd Cramer, at the beginning of his marvellous career, on the ivories. It's on the 50s box.

Someday we may be all lucky enough to hear every remaining "Hayride" cut by Elvis. I'll buy it!

DJC

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:51 am

I think they're brilliant!
I recently bought the 2disc "concert anthology 1954-1956" on redline records.Second disc with the reworked backing isn't my cup of tea but disc one is great.The inlay is really good too.
There are 3 other releases listed on the back inlay - The king of western bop, The roots of elvis,Good rockin' tonight but it also states that 2 upcoming titles are "The complete sun sessions" and "Elvis' sun rarities radio sessions".

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:I was listening to the LA Hayride acetates on Sunrise this morning - I was impressed with the performances despite the poor quality. What came to my attention was the fact that there is a piano player audible on some of the tracks - Money Honey, Tweedle Dee, I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine and Hearts of Stone.

Yes indeed, the twenty year-old Presley's performances are amazing, despite audio drawbacks.

It's SO refreshing to read on this MB someone who cares enough to appreciate and enjoy these incredible moments with Elvis, Scotty and Bill.

As to your queries, the recordings are from 15 and 22 January 1955. The "Hayride" had a regular piano player named Leon Post and steel guitar player Sonny Trammel around to "fill out" the sound of some guests. They are most likely on all the tracks above.

There is an April 30, 1955 rendition of "Tweedlee Dee" with Jimmy Day playing the steel and the one and only Floyd Cramer, at the beginning of his marvellous career, on the ivories. It's on the 50s box.

Someday we may be all lucky enough to hear every remaining "Hayride" cut by Elvis. I'll buy it!

DJC

Amen! I would in a heartbeat!

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:16 am

i'd love to hear any unreleased hayride recordings reguardless of how the quality is.
they all need to be retransferred to cd using the new lazer turntable.
it's supposed to be your best machine to play scratched up overplayed records or acetates. they also need to be transferred at the correct speed !!!! they sound like elvis is sucking helium on every release so far.
kevan needs to do the transferrs.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:40 am

Floyd Cramer played piano at Louisiana Hayride before he moved to Nashville
He later played with elvis in the 50`s and first half of the 60`s recordings with Elvis.Good player.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's SO refreshing to read on this MB someone who cares enough to appreciate and enjoy these incredible moments with Elvis, Scotty and Bill.

DJC

Isn't that what is was all about - the rawness, the power, the naivety, the simpleness, the togetherness and the talent?

I'll be behind you in the queue for any new material. Thanks for the info Doc.

Andrew

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:30 pm

svallen wrote:Floyd Cramer played piano at Louisiana Hayride before he moved to Nashville
He later played with elvis in the 50`s and first half of the 60`s recordings with Elvis.Good player.

I can't help thinking that describing Floyd Cramer as a "good player" is a bit like saying Wordsworth wrote "rhymes" and Mozart composed "tunes".

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Spellbinder wrote:I can't help thinking that describing Floyd Cramer as a "good player" is a bit like saying Wordsworth wrote "rhymes" and Mozart composed "tunes".

I agree....Floyd Cramer was a wonderful pianist! He created the classic "slip-note" technique that is copied by so many piano players today....especially in the country music field.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:41 pm

He is good - but i think i prefer the edgier style of shorty long on Lawdy Miss Clawdy or Jerry Lee Lewis' thumping style.

Andrew

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:49 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:I can't help thinking that describing Floyd Cramer as a "good player" is a bit like saying Wordsworth wrote "rhymes" and Mozart composed "tunes".

I agree....Floyd Cramer was a wonderful pianist! He created the classic "slip-note" technique that is copied by so many piano players today....especially in the country music field.

Actually, Tony, Cramer learned his famous "slip-note" technique from Don Robertson, who co-wrote many of Elvis best and most classy ballads in the 60s, suchas They Remind Me Too Much of You, Anything That's Part of You and I'm Yours. Cramer simply popularized the technique by playing on tons of his coming out of Nashville, inlcuding his hit single "Last Date."

And as DJC noted, its nice to see someone discussing Elvis 50s work again.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:25 am

AndrewJ wrote:I'll be behind you in the queue for any new material. Thanks for the info Doc.

You're welcome!

I do what I can for the good people on this MB.

DJC