Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

26th anniversary of indianapolis show

Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:50 am

hard to believe its been 26 years since the last concert.
which to me is one of the best on the june tour.
my only wish is that it was recorded on a soundboard and somebody has the tape.
this show to me was better than rapid city and omaha combined.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:43 am

Imagine enjoying this show from a board tape, coupled with all available, high quality footage.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:55 pm

Doc -

Careful !

You'll wear a hole in your cheek.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:59 pm

The positive thread killer strikes again!

Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:38 pm

I would enjoy a "soundboard" and "quality" footage of Indy ..... OR .... Cincinnati .....................

Immensely. :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:08 pm

We all would enjoy that...

Don't hold your breath though...

Sonny

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:32 am

BobbyTCB wrote:The positive thread killer strikes again!

Bobby, don't denigrate yourself like that. I'm sure you've posted something of value in a few of your 156 efforts.

As for my reply above, it is literal, not sarcastic.

For the period, the last show is better than most. And the historical aspect alone -- Elvis' final gig -- makes it noteworthy.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:03 am

Doc -

Sorry if I thought you were being tongue-in-cheek.

I was [foolishly] going by your previous comments about Elvis and his appearance and performance in 1977.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:00 am

he proved he could sing without forgetting the words in this concert.
the home movie footage is awesome he even does a split at the end of the show.
100% better show than june 19 or 21,1977.
this is my favorite show of the tour.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:34 am

Colin-

It's decidedly unfoolish to reason that a guy who has posted an astonishing, unachievable number of posts (I can't think of a soul around here who has more), many of which belittle Elvis's last years, would not change his tune overnight and say something good about the last show. It must have occurred to the old doc that if he is going to keep calling himself an Elvis fan, he has to stop bashing the guy.

DJC-

You're so vain. You probably think that post was about you, don't you?

Tulsa-

Right on! Performances which weren't part of the standard setlist of the time, namely Release Me, I Can't Stop Loving You, and Bridge, really helped to make this a standout show. I don't think Hurt ever sounded better either, personally. And Fairytale was very strong as well--it sounded a lot like the performance on ST77 (5/2 Chicago) to my ears.

Not to imply that he knew it was his last performance, he really did seem to have put a lot of extra effort into the show that night. So in addition to its historic significance, the Indianapolis show was magical for the performance itself as it happened, not just when viewed in retrospect.

The 26th of June, 26 years ago...

Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:47 am

The final show is indeed a great show for the period, not only because it is the last one, not only because he seems in great spirits for a change, but also because, for some reason, Elvis decided to pull a couple of old favourites out of the bag, Release Me and I Can't Stop Loving You.

But today, 27 June, is the 35th anniversary of a far more important gig, which took place at the NBC studio in Burbank. It was this gig (or 2 to be precise) which began the revitalisation of his career. These sit-down shows, stripped of the chessey arrangements of the stand-up shows 2 days later, show Elvis at his very best. Elvis looked and sounded utterly fantastic and became an important event in rock history. In my opinion one of the great rock performances of all time.

Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:34 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:But today, 27 June, is the 35th anniversary of a far more important gig, which took place at the NBC studio in Burbank. It was this gig (or 2 to be precise) which began the revitalisation of his career. These sit-down shows, stripped of the chessey arrangements of the stand-up shows 2 days later, show Elvis at his very best. Elvis looked and sounded utterly fantastic and became an important event in rock history. In my opinion one of the great rock performances of all time.

Agreed. For me it doesn't get much better than those two sit down shows. Elvis at his best.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:47 am

In honor of the 26th anniversary of the Indy show I listened to it last Thursday on my ride to work. That show always gets to me. The crowd was with Elvis all the way and the electricity just jumps out at you. Elvis was in strong voice, his high notes were rich and powerful. In my opinion Elvis vocally gave everything he had for the Indy show - and there was still ALOT left to give!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:57 am

Did you enjoy the June 27, 1968 performances the next day?

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:17 am

Its a shame that CBS didn't film the last concert in Indiana..Elvis looked and sounded better than the concerts taped for tv..the problem was he knew the cameras were on him and he medicated more and made him probably worse..its just very sad how Elvis couldn't talk straight between songs for most of the Rapid city show. As for the 68 special..he could do no wrong ..even when he was nervous he made into a inside joke with the audience...those versions of lawdy miss clawdy and tryin to get to you blow the studio versions in the water..always liked baby what you want me to do better on the comeback special than subsequent live versions in Vegas.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:45 am

I agree that Elvis went out in style with 26-6-77. Sadly I've not seen the footage, except for a second or two on various documentaries.
What is the quality like and is it readily available?
And another question. When Elvis stops Jailhouse Rock after the opening bars, what does he say to the audience?
rick
rhat@standard.net.au

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Did you enjoy the June 27, 1968 performances the next day?

No Doc, it never even occurred to me that it was the anniversary of the amazing sit-down shows! :oops: I'm long overdue to give 'em a listen!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:10 pm

rick wrote:When Elvis stops Jailhouse Rock after the opening bars, what does he say to the audience?
rick
rhat@standard.net.au

Rick-

I believe he was addressing the band. He might have said something before this, but I am most certain he told them, "Stay...with...me."

The video is decent, as far as amateur films go, but it is actually pieced together from several different shows. The footage from Indianapolis is pretty blurry, but the whole thing is enjoyable to watch--to me, anyway. The sound is quite good.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:18 pm

BobbyTCB wrote:

The video is decent, as far as amateur films go, but it is actually pieced together from several different shows. The footage from Indianapolis is pretty blurry, but the whole thing is enjoyable to watch--to me, anyway. The sound is quite good.

I thought it was several different sources, not shows.

I know it's difficult to be picky about these things, but how many different shows? I was going to pick it up for it's historic value, but I wouldn't be happy if it's not what it claims to be.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:30 pm

It’s quite a while since I’ve watched any of my old videos that contain fan shot super 8 footage, but I seem to remember having two tapes, that might have repeated some footage, but I’m pretty sure one of the segments was labelled Cincinnati and Indianapolis, and was a compilation of the two shows. I’ll have to dig the tapes out and see exactly what is on them.

Of course the CBS TV Special itself is often incorrectly referred to as the last show, and this can lead to confusion amongst new collectors.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:02 pm

There's a couple of VCDs on ebay uk at the moment. One is claiming to be the concert from the 26th at Indianapolis and the other is the from the final tour.

Is this VCD actually the final show, or a compilation of two or more?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:15 pm

Tupelo Boy-

It is from several shows. There are plenty of places where the audio and video are matched up well (from a timing standpoint), but it is clear that what is seen and what is heard are two different performances. A glaring example is at the ending of Hurt. I do not know exactly how many shows were used to make up this video. That it is not all the Indianapolis show certainly does make it less valuable, but it still makes for good viewing, I believe.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:18 pm

...or if the one you are referring to is actually all Indianapolis footage, then it is just a few minutes long!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:06 pm

Thanks for that Bobby, I'll probably buy it anyway. But I do prefer to know what I'm getting.

Cheers!