Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis entering an Elvis-imitator contest

Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:37 pm

Ever since I became a fan I heard the story about the time when Elvis entered an Elvis-imitator contest. And finished thrid (ro something like that). This was to have happened in the seventies.

Is this story just that... a story, a myth, and nothing that have happened in real life? Or has this actually happened? If so... is there any more info on it?

Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:44 pm

I've heard that 'urban legend' also.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that Elvis was <b>at</b> an Elvis contest, as he couldn't go anywhere in the seventies without being recognised. He wouldn't have fit in (what did he do, arrive alone, without his usual clothes/jewellery?)

I presume at an Elvis contest some of them would have been Elvis fans. There's no way that no one in the crowd wouldn't have not known it was Elvis there.
Last edited by Getlo on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:59 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:08 am

I remember this and I'm sure it was the 'Burger & the King' documentary. I don't think it was an Elvis impersonator contest but a general talent contest. Elvis sat down at the piano and sang 'Unchained Melody'. The Lady owner (who knew him) gave him 3rd place.

Anyone who's got the show on video could confirm it.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:53 am

If you believe this story you're completely off your hinges.

the squirrel

Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:55 am

whether this is true or not, its humorous to think about. imagine, elvis himself not winning an impersonator contest. its funny in its own way.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:26 am

Hmmmmmmmm what a coincidence that a question in trivial pursuit happens to be ............who came 3rd in a Charlie Chaplin lookalike competition......answer Charlie Chaplin.

Elvis 3rd in an impersonator competiton ...........do me a favour........this story was probably started by a trivial pursuit playing impersonator lol.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:31 am

Sorry to change the subject. Clint Reno where I find a link for that picture that you use for your avatar,? I've never seen it before with the exception of your avatar.

elvis at an elvis contest

Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:39 am

I heard this story many years ago. In 1980 or 81. The story I heard was this: Elvis read in the newspaper that there was to be an impersonator contest at one of the theaters in Memphis. This happened in 1975 or 76 I think. At any rate it was when he had put on a lot of weight and no longer looked like the public image. So he thought it would be funny to put on a jumpsuit and drive down to the theater and enter the contest. He mixed with the other "Elvis'" and talked shop etc. A few people mentioned that he really looked like Elvis to which he replied, "Yeah, I hear that a lot." He went up and did his act and lost. He thought this was pretty funny as someone else did Elvis better than he did. After the contest he went home. I find this story believeable for a couple of reasons: this sounds like something he would have done on a lark and it fit into his need to go out on a caper. Remember, he sometimes did things by himself like go on drives and once went to Washington. I'm not saying I believe it or know for sure it happened but I did hear it a long time ago and it doesn't sound too far fetched.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:35 am

I have read something similar also about Bing Corsby. But to me it is obvvoius that the originals can't win a competition of impetrsonators. Because the impersonating means to extreme some aspects of the artists, the originals are just themelves.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:39 am

Hells bells :!:

Next - some of you will start believing that Elvis was abducted by aliens and still lives :!:

Get a grip :!:

Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:47 am

As long as the spaceship carrying Elvis lands at
http://www.elvispresleynews.com/images/AIRPORT3.jpg

Silly stories are, just about, amusing. We need fresh material guys, all the jokes are so stale!

Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:51 pm

What about the story of himeating McDonalds?
rick

......SIGH.........

Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:52 pm

............ some people wouldn't know a "MYTH" even if it came up and bit them on their posterior .............

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:07 pm

rick wrote:What about the story of himeating McDonalds?
rick

That did really happen. Linda Thompson still talks about - and call me naive, but I don't think she would lie about that.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:08 pm

This one appears in the book by Mike Freeman & Cindy Hazen called 'Memphis Elvis style'. They say it's the McDonalds just down the road from Graceland. This is what Linda told 'Essentially Elvis' about it:

Can I just check a story with you? It's something that was supposed to have happened and it's such a great story that I kind of hope it did. You and Elvis were eating in McDonalds and someone thought he was an impersonator...
"The story is true but the details are a little wrong. We never ate in McDonalds. We were approaching the Memphian Theater where I told you that at midnight we went to see movies. We were walking in and he was slightly ahead of me and someone came up to him and said, "Oh my God, look, it's Elvis. You're Elvis aren't you?" He said, "Well, yes, I am Elvis" and they went crazy. They wanted an autograph and a picture.
As I walked up I said, "Charlie, you're not using that Elvis bit again are you? Come on, you're not telling these people that you're Elvis again are you?" I told the fans, "He gets it all the time and he's always messing with people." The fans said, "We knew you couldn't really be Elvis" and he replied, "But I am. Tell 'em honey!" I replied, "Come on Charlie, we're late."

Cab drivers in Vegas and Honolulu are the best. They're full of Elvis stories. It must be assumed that gullible Elvis fans are good for a tip.....

Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:34 am

Delboy wrote:This one appears in the book by Mike Freeman & Cindy Hazen called 'Memphis Elvis style'.

Yes - an enjoyable book, too .............. don't, however, believe everything you read in books. Many an "author" merely repeats what they have heard without researching the "facts" for themselves or doing any "original" research of their own. In doing so, "myth" is propogated, over and over again.

Delboy wrote:The story is true but the details are a little wrong. We never ate in McDonalds.

BINGO! There are usually kernels of "truth" to myths.

Delboy wrote:Cab drivers in Vegas and Honolulu are the best. They're full of Elvis stories. It must be assumed that gullible Elvis fans are good for a tip.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Very true, "Delboy", .......... so very true!! Especially the part about "gullible Elvis fans." :D

N8
... just a fan ....

(PS - "Little Sister", .............. just because a story comes from somebody who was around Elvis, doesn't always mean it's 100% accurate).