Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Brian Quinn
Registered for: 21 years

OLDER PEOPLE TO GO DIGITAL

Post by Brian Quinn »

The following article is taken from The Sun Newspaper in the UK dated 27th December, 2005.

Brian :)

Older people to go digital

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN
Sun Online

THEY may prefer Il Divo and Tony Christie to the Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire - but the over-50s are set to join Britain's 'download revolution'.

A new survey by The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and Age Concern found that while only 4 cent of over-50s currently own an MP3 player, another 23 per cent intend to buy one in 2006.

The 'grey pound' is already a powerful force in British music - 24 per cent of all albums bought in 2004 were by those in the older age bracket.

BPI spokesman Matt Phillips said: "Legal music downloads may have taken off in a big way in 2005, but these figures underline the huge potential that still remains in digital music, particularly amongst older music fans.

"Album sales continue to grow in the UK, and older music buyers are clearly responsible for much of that growth.

"Nearly a quarter of all albums sold are bought by older music fans - and that percentage is set to grow as the UK population ages."

The British record industry has seen digital sales increase by 400 per cent in the last year, with the Internet credited for the commercial success of bands like the Arctic Monkeys - who topped the British singles chart in October.

The BPI's survey found that the most popular genre of music with the over-50s is classical, with easy listening and country close behind.

Radio 2 was named the most popular station in the research and the Top 10 artists are:

1. Il Divo
2. Rod Stewart
3. Tony Christie
4. Katherine Jenkins
5. G4
6. Ronan Keating
7. Phil Collins
8. Elvis Presley
9. Abba
10. Westlife

Rusty Martin*
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Rusty Martin* »

I dont much fancy being classed as in a 24% bracket :roll: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I didn't download yesterday or today. I don't plan on downloading tomorrow. I know it's probably viewed as a quaint, outmoded idea, but
I still buy my music at my local music store or at an Internet store like Amazon.

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Silver »

How do they know how old the people buying the music are? I'm never asked how old I am when I buy either at the store or online. I usually pay cash at the stores. So are they actually checking the ages on the credit cards? Sometimes I send a money order, for instance, to ebay. And when I register to a company like ebay or amazon, I usually lie about my age!! Don't you all??
sue

You'll never, never know the one who loves you so. . .

R.I.P. 2-10-2006
In Memory Of A True Friend To All

The FECC Team