Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS; SECRETS FROM THE HOLLYWOOD YEARS

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:31 pm

Has anyone seen or does anyone own a magazine that came out about 3 years ago called "Elvis; secrets of the Hollywood years"? A member of my branch showed me her copy of this a few weeks ago and it includes some incredible previously unpublished photos, many of which I had never seen before! I am looking for a copy of this. I believe it was on sale at certain supermarkets in the UK at the time.
TONY DOBB

Re: ELVIS; SECRETS FROM THE HOLLYWOOD YEARS

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:41 pm

TONY wrote:A member of my branch showed me her copy ...

Tony, do you live in a tree? It must get cold around this time of year.

DJC

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC

Does that come with a rim shot Doc? :lol:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC

Dr,

Tony meant a branch member as in, parts of the UK based Fan Club which have different parts of fans in the UK which are segregated into different branches(i.e. The London Branch) .

We BRITS are, and will always be, the GREATEST Elvis fans in the world.

Maybe you Americans should take a leaf(excuse the pun) out of our book and follow us.
Its embarrassing that Elvis's own country has never had a National Fan Club.
Maybe if you moved over here to the UK, we can show you what being an Elvis fan is all about. :wink:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Maybe if you moved over here to the UK, we can show you what being an Elvis fan is all about. :wink:

Is there a manual? I never know how to behave in order to be regarded as a real Elvis fan which is the main objective of my life. :lol:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:03 pm

Of course there is a manual, silly.

Join the Elvis Presley Fan Club of the UK and you will get it. :wink:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:22 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Of course there is a manual, silly.

Join the Elvis Presley Fan Club of the UK and you will get it. :wink:

Thanks for the offer but what's the use of becoming a fan club member in the internet age where on a continuous basis "news" is available?

I do appreciate the way UK citizens live the music though. I've been to all Rockabilly weekenders in Hemsby from oct 88 up till oct 98 and also used to know something about the Rock 'n' Roll scene in London. It strikes me the music is really appreciated in the UK where in other countries especially the US it's largely forgotten and considered old-fashioned.

I think the majority of the fan base in the UK are music lovers where in the US the fan base is dominated by housewives that are in love with Elvis and that have never heard any import.

Holland isn't too bad (see the imports), especially compared to the US, although more Beatles minded. I guess we will have to wait for all those former hippies in the media to retire. I guess the UK is indeed the best country to live in when you're an Elvis fan. Then again what do I know? :roll:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:37 pm

buddy holly wrote:
Sean Ryan wrote:Maybe if you moved over here to the UK, we can show you what being an Elvis fan is all about. :wink:

Is there a manual? I never know how to behave in order to be regarded as a real Elvis fan which is the main objective of my life. :lol:

You could change your name for starters. :wink:
We now have the impression you are a fan of the Crickets. :P

Elvis; secrets

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:21 pm

... Its too easy to name that generation of 50/60 year olds, once, or still working in the media all hippies. Though many Dutch pop journalists have a liking for The Beatles, and 60s pop in general, quite a few, some of the best, love/ loved Elvis! Remember Jip Golsteijn...? He sadly died some years ago. His heroes were Hank Williams, Elvis and the Liverpool 4. Roel Bentz [ vpro radio, etc ] loves Elvis. He joined the Dutch EP fanclub back in 59! My brother, who worked as a journalist for Veronica magazine for nearly 20 years, covered Elvis in his colums hundreds and hundreds of times... and those 3 were no hippies, buddy! And there are MANY more in the media who admire EP and "vintage" music in general. Many have retired, many passed away... The new generation [ most of them anyway] have no clue whatsoever. An example: Recently 4 people, working either for pop mags or record companies, were asked, during a tv pop quiz, to name the Record Company that had launched the careers of Presley, Cash and Orbison? None knew the answer... Their age? In their mid to late 30s. These losers couldnt even identify Lou Reed, when shown in concert singing Take a Walk on the Wild Side... Our music is dying fast, very fast!

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:53 pm

Hi Ger,

Interesting post.

I hope its not true.That our music is dying.I, for one, aint gonna let that happen. :wink:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:31 pm

"TONY wrote:
A member of my branch showed me her copy ...

DJC"

Jesus Carpenter, have you been at the Cristmas sherry ?..... :shock:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:59 pm

For the record, I was just making a little joke, I certainly knew what Tony was referring to. And I'm also aware Tony's a huge Presley fan, I've seen his letters in TMAHM for many years now. Tony, I certainly apologize if I offended you.

DJC

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:53 pm

diahrea-of-the-mouth ? Zowie! Even Doc stumbles.

Sean Ryan wrote: We BRITS are, and will always be, the GREATEST Elvis fans in the world.

Maybe you Americans should take a leaf(excuse the pun) out of our book and follow us.
Its embarrassing that Elvis's own country has never had a National Fan Club.
Maybe if you moved over here to the UK, we can show you what being an Elvis fan is all about. :wink:

Sean you are right,
and respectfully I submit, no American (including so-called MB Experts like DJC or smarmy scrap-collectors like N8.) measure up to the British Elvis Fans.

UK devotion - especially during the 1960s when US teens dumped Elvis - is a testiment to your credibility and faithfulness.

People who foolishly hold the Hippie Era in high regard cannot realize nor appreciate what a British Elvis Fan truly invests and gives of himself for the sake of maintaining Elvis Presley as a Constant.

American Fans rarely bothered - too fickel with trends.

Here, in America, we never maintained Elvis as a Constant.
The US general consensus is he's a has-been but he has a neat little mini-themepark in Memphis.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:05 am

Unhappily, GG is really correct!! In America Elvis is certainly NOT as huge as he is in the UK. I think it has to do with first of all with EPE who sued anyone who even mentioned him. So he hasn't had as much publicity as in other countries.

If only ONE company has the rights to release anything Elvis, supplies are limited and exposure is very sparse!! So how can the younger generation become acquainted with a great performer with the same compilations over and over again??

All of the soundboards are from other countries. The FTDs are not generally well-known. I didn't know about them until I got on the internet (Iknow - really late) in April 2004. Well, maybe the younger generation would know since I know most of them had internet access a lot longer than before I did. But how would they even know to look for Elvis? He wasn't advertised much!

Also, the younger generation don't have the $$$ to spend for imports and the FTDs. If it weren't for the kindness of strangers, I would have no imports or FTDs. Now with that exposure, I have embarked upon getting more of them.

But, what of my fellow Americans with no one who is helping them to know Elvis? When I retire, which teacher would expose my kids to Elvis on rainy recesses?? Well, yes, the E generation is getting older. With my superintendent's help, I expect to take early retirement soon!! (He's trying to persuade higher priced teachers - can a TEACHER actually be too highly priced(?) - to retire early (55 being the early retirement age in my district, or maybe my state).

Thanks, UK fans! for your steadfastness!
sue

As usual, this thread has strayed from its original intent!!

Re: Elvis; secrets

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:12 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Recently 4 people, working either for pop mags or record companies, were asked, during a tv pop quiz, to name the Record Company that had launched the careers of Presley, Cash and Orbison? None knew the answer...

I saw that. Very annoying. Also annoying is the last concert Roy Orbison gave in Ahoy. It was relocated because only 3.000 attended (including me) while there was room for 8.000.

About your point of some people liking Elvis. I know. Then again it's a relatively small group. You could have mentioned Boudewijn Buch as well. More a Stones fan he still did a lot to promote Elvis as well. Lots of people don't like him because "everybody" was his hero (Mick Jagger, Roy Orbison, Elvis among others) but I always liked the way he could tell a story.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:32 am

Luuk wrote:
buddy holly wrote:

You could change your name for starters. :wink:
We now have the impression you are a fan of the Crickets. :P

I wanted an avatar of Django Reinhardt to go with it. People here know the feeling of an artist not being fully appreciated anymore like they should be. For me that's not only the case for Elvis but so many others as well. Among Elvis fans I see a lot of people who only like Elvis. It's proof of Elvis' diversity I guess but to me that's a shame because there's plenty more to enjoy. That's why I like to tease a little by promoting other artists as well.

When I was in my early teens I felt I was a less loyal fan because I liked Buddy Holly (almost?) as much as I did like Elvis. I almost felt guilty about that because I thought that was not proper behaviour for a real fan. Having grown up now (in years at least) I know it's no credit to be narrow minded. I think it adds to appreciating Elvis when you know where he was coming from and what his context was. I mean that musically not personal.

We probably all agree it's not important at all to be a real fan in the eyes of someone else. To each his own.

SUBJECT

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:57 pm

Even tho we're off the original subject of my posting, one of the reasons for belonging to a fan club is recieving a magazine, getting to buy items that might not be available otherwise, and supporting events run by them and the localised branches throughout the country, for example the huge annual festival held at Mablethorpe in Lincolnshire every year where around 1,000 members gather each year.
P.S. Does anyone have the magazine I mentioned??!!

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:29 pm

What magazine Tony? :wink:

Did you get my pic i sent of you?

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:47 pm

This thread is very enlightening. Sorry Tony I have no idea of what magazine it was.

Doc, I knew it was a joke about the branch - I twigged it straight away.

I have always had this "feeliing" that UK fans were different to the US fans. I never wanted to think of it in a put down kind of way, but I felt we collectively thought long term and remained totally loyal. an opinion like that based purely on gut feeling isn't one to be shared normally as it holds no water on its own and means nothing, but to hear US fans openly voice that they see UK fans in this way is a mixture of emotions really.

Ona slightly obscure side note, does anyone have the full Russian newspaper article published shortly before Elvis' death ?

attention tony

Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:59 pm

Tony,I"m sure I have a copy of this magazine in the loft (I"ll have a look this weekend) your quiet welcome to have it.I will let you know through this messageboard when/if I find it.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:22 pm

I won't be moving to the UK, my "roots" are firmly "planted" here in the USA! :wink: I do hope to be "weeded out" as a "True Elvis Fan" , however, or am I "Barking Up The Wrong Tree"?