Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New "GOLDMINE" EP Mag : Elvis & DooWop

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:48 pm

Hi folks,
The US-based GOLDMINE magazine has Elvis as the cover boy this week in it's annual "Elvis issue."

Of particular note is an excellent, well-researched essay on the often-forgotten connection of Elvis & Doo Wop music (or "the vocal group tradition.")

Check it out!

P.S. I'll swap with folks who need a copy. PM me.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:50 am

So, Greg, where can one get it??? Is it, for instance, at Borders? Is it still on the stands (I hope!!).
sue

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:07 am

I always look forward to & enjoy GOLDMINE's annual Elvis Birthday Issues.

I don't buy it regularly, like I did in the past, ............ but I do still pick up a copy once-in-a-blue-moon.

N8
... just a fan ....

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:26 pm

N8, the great Elvis/Doo-Wop article alone is the best argument for picking this GOLDMINE issue up.

Sue, this tends to be on your larger newstands including those at big book stores like Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.

Let me know if you can't find one and I'll try to hook you up.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:15 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:N8, the great Elvis/Doo-Wop article alone is the best argument for picking this GOLDMINE issue up.

Sue, this tends to be on your larger newstands including those at big book stores like Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.

GN, Jr.,

If you already had your copy a week ago, .............. you are definitely a hardcore GOLDMINE reader (also got an excellent source to acquire, unless you subscribe); one of the most important things for GOLDMINE users is to get their copy as early as possible. (Ahhh, the memories ........... )

---------------------

Thanks for the tips & recommendation.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:50 am

Has it been a week? I don't think so.

I'm a recent subscriber. It's not so much that I"m a hard-core reader but tI found myself buying it often on the newstand. There's always something worthwhile in it and I tend to learn about music in general because they try to keep some variety. I also like their attention to older acts and of course Elvis. You save a bundle by just subscribing.

I think it could be a better magazine but they do, by and large, have a way of keeping it interesting, as does DISCOVERIES, the sister publication.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:36 am

One of my best friends works at a music retail store, and they subscribe to Goldmine. He passes the Elvis issues on to me when they arrive, and they usually provide some great reading. He mentioned the latest issue to me a few days ago, but I haven't picked it up yet.

I used to be a regular reader of the magazine, along with Discoveries, but with the advent of the internet I haven't needed to pore over the pages to find items of my liking, so I stopped getting it regularly.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:18 am

I'm "Joe Internet" in recent years, but smarter publications like GOLDMINE still have content (such as the Elvis /Doo Wop article) that are not published on the on-line site. And last I checked, their website is rather restrictive about any "free" content, something that daily newspapers are only now waking up to, as they were giving it all away for awhile.

And try curling up with your laptop. If you can do it, it will get old. :lol:

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:40 am

Yeah, DISCOVERIES is OK.

I'm with KHoots, though, ........ advent of the internet doesn't make GOLDMINE as crucial as it used to be (once you have the contacts, that is).

GOLDMINE, in my experience, also backs you up if you run into problems with any of their advertisers / sellers, though.

----------------------

GN, Jr., ........ you still got your copy about two weeks early. That's pretty good!

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:42 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Sue, this tends to be on your larger newstands including those at big book stores like Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.

Thanks a lot for the info, Greg. I'll be on my way to Borders tomorrow!!
sue

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:45 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I'm "Joe Internet" in recent years, but smarter publications like GOLDMINE still have content (such as the Elvis /Doo Wop article) that are not published on the on-line site. And last I checked, their website is rather restrictive about any "free" content, something that daily newspapers are only now waking up to, as they were giving it all away for awhile.

And try curling up with your laptop. If you can do it, it will get old. :lol:

I like to have hard copy because the internet is so changeable (when I put a page in my favorites, it often changes content). And, if I had some of the mags that my mom bought of E, I would be richer today!! BTW, Borders doesn't carry Goldmine, so I'll visit B&N tomorrow!! Thanks again!!
sue