Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

musicians and memphis mafia

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:19 pm

i m simply curious to know if they did get along :?:

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:41 pm

Duke Bardwell found Elvis a real barrel of laughs.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:57 pm

The Jordanaires and others had said that they weren't crazy about the guys around Elvis, that they had a way of ruining a good time, so they didn't go to Elvis' parties much at all.

So there's one opinion.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:08 pm

Depends on the musician. Scotty certainly didn't like MM. I heard comments from the 60's studio musicians, American Sound Studio band and some of the 70's musicians disliking the MM. I don't remember who said this but if Elvis would say that he was thirsty they would be running over knocking down mic stands to be able to the first one to hand him a coke. Also, the clowning and Elvis's karate demonstrations in the studio bothered them. I'm sure they felt that the MM could have stayed out of the studio. During the 68 Comeback special Elvis was learning to play on the piano Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata but stopped every time MM would come in asking what was that sh*t.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:39 am

The Memphis Mafia wasn't a club of unleashed brainpower. I can imagine that not everybody liked them. I wouldn't be too pleased with grown up men around me who act like pubescent boys. Some people mature, others just get older....

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:50 am

Musicians have real value.

Buttkissers are a dme a dozen.

THe MM are useless bums.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:55 am

When visiting a Paris nightclub in 1959, Elvis was willing to play piano & sing, but Red West wouldn't let him !

Been briefed by Parker, no doubt.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:30 am

Red wasn't with Elvis in Paris. However in Munich some people that were there said that Lamar and Red ordered Elvis not sing with the band. I actually find it hard to believe that Elvis would take orders from Red or Lamar.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:45 am

Marko -

Sorry, guess I got the town & country wrong !

Come to think of it, he did play & sing in Paris, didn't he ?

I'd like a tape of that !

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:06 pm

Colin,

According to Lamar Elvis played piano and sang in the backstage in a nightclub in Paris. Some people say that Elvis got on stage to sing with the band but according to Lamar that never happened.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:13 pm

Marko wrote:Colin,

According to Lamar Elvis played piano and sang in the backstage in a nightclub in Paris.
Some people say that Elvis got on stage to sing with the band but according to Lamar that never happened.

No, I didn't think it did !

Be nice if someone had a little tape recorder running though, wouldn't it ?

re

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:22 pm

EP sang backstage with the golden gate quartet. He was with Line Renaud & his husband lou gasté ( composer of famous song "feelings" ).
( according to an interview of french singer line renaud, NO tape exists :cry: )