Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A phone call to Parker's office

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:41 am

Back in 1979, I went to a couple old local movie theaters and asked them if they had any old Elvis posters left over from back in the day. One place I went took me into the attic and we found a 5ft cardboard Stay Away Joe stand-up; the other had a Live a Little Love a Little poster, as well as a stack of larger Change of Habit movie cards. Both just gave them to me - for free.

Ok, so I get the idea to try the same thing with the Las Vegas Hilton (hey, I was a young opportunist). I call them up and a real nice lady - southern drawl, I think her name was something like Lilly - told me that Parker used to come in after every tour and literally scour the place - collecting every poster, banner, etc. She said that at one tour, they were handing out Elvis pins and there were a couple that the pins had broken off the backs. She and another girl she worked with took a couple (of the broken ones) for a momento. Parker actually came to them looking for the broken ones. She said he was one of the strangest men she had ever met. Then she said...."Would you like to talk to him? I can give you his office number."

Ok.

So I called his office and HE answered. He was apparently was in the middle of something trying to talk to someone else in the room and kept saying "yes...yes....hold on...wait a minute...what do you want? What exactly are you looking for? Who is this?" I never got a straight answer from him on anything. Still not sure if he was talking to me or someone there. Then he said "I'm going to give you over to ---- he's someone who can help you." And thats when I got to speak with this boy-toy (and he sounded like one too).

I asked him if there was any posters, banners, etc from the Vegas concerts and he said "yes - the Colonel has all of that." I then asked him if there were any films of the concerts......and he told me that most ALL of the concerts Elvis did in Vegas were filmed for close-circuit broadcast in their presidential suites...and that Parker still HAD these films! When I asked him if there was any chance of getting ahold of any of those, he said "Absolutely not - there is no plan to release any of that at this time. Goodbye." And he hung up on me. Dck.

This clown and the LVH woman both asked me if I was a producer or was doing some kind of documentary. I never said yes.

But I never said no either 8)

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:09 am

interesting stories both

Ahh, the strange timewarp of 1977-79 in the wake of losing Elvis

---

so, Parker was gay?

A homo-masochist most likely

would explain his obsessed slobbering domineering control over his boy, Elvis.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:34 am

No idea what Parker's preference was (farm animals?) - but the guy that he gave the phone over to was definitely "bitchy" - as well as a complete condecending ass.

One of those phone calls that for about 30 sec after it ends, you just stare at the phone and keep repeating, "what a dck. What an a--hole." UFB.

Parker was always a Dr.Nick oxygen thief type leach to me - what the LVH woman told me - and then "Skippy", the male secretary just sealed that opinion for all time.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:51 am

I love that frigging story and want to know if the shows that were filmed for closed ciscuit were truly recorded!!! What a TOTAL gem that would be?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
TCB
Jon

Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:29 am

I doubt that the tapes excist. Anyway, they should have been handed over to the Estate when they made the deal with Colonel in 1982. I remember reading that Colonel handed to the Estate all the audio tapes and film material that he had.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:40 am

I would have thought that strange as the resident at the time in the sort of presedential suite was the guy singing on the stage. :lol:

In all my time of looking at photos and film from Vegas I've never even seen a CCTV camera - and they weren't small like todays are - but if they were there and they were switched on i would have thought that none of them would have had film in them and that they were merely used to relay the show live without any film being involved.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:16 pm

swede interesting story.....at the same time I agree with what Marko and Steve_M said....

Dirty shame really.... :cry: :twisted:

PEP 8)

Re: A phone call to Parker's office

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:45 pm

I then asked him if there were any films of the concerts......and he told me that most ALL of the concerts Elvis did in Vegas were filmed for close-circuit broadcast in their presidential suites...and that Parker still HAD these films! When I asked him if there was any chance of getting ahold of any of those, he said "Absolutely not - there is no plan to release any of that at this time. Goodbye." And he hung up on me. Dck.

I spoke to Parker on the phone twice in 1979. I asked him about unreleased Sun recordings and he told me he had three reels of tape that contained a total of 17 songs. The titles included 'Uncle Pen', 'So Doggone Lonesome', 'Tiger Man', 'Just Walking In The Rain' and 'Feeling Good'. When I tried to call him for a third time he wouldn't speak to me. I automatically assumed by that comment that he was queer.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:55 pm

The fifth time I called him he said nothing but I could sense by his breathing he was undressing me with his ears. :lol:

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:50 pm

They may very well have had broadcast into various VIP suites, or he may have been referring to various films made for TTWII or EOT.

He didn't have a real helpful attitude, so who knows.

Of all the concerts performed in Vegas (or anywhere else for that matter) I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't alot of professional grade stuff we haven't seen or heard of still to be found.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Anyway, they should have been handed over to the Estate when they made the deal with Colonel in 1982.

I wouldn't put anything past Parker.

and he told me he had three reels of tape that contained a total of 17 songs. The titles included 'Uncle Pen', 'So Doggone Lonesome', 'Tiger Man', 'Just Walking In The Rain' and 'Feeling Good'.

So where is this stuff now?

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Not to be pessimistic, but two questions.

If the hotel used the CCTV to broadcast the concerts (maybe some / maybe all) to VIP suites, did they have to pay royalties? If so, wouldn't it have been easier to get all the important people, who were sitting up in their rooms, down to the actual venue, provide them with tickets to a live concert, see the man in flesh and blood ? Is there any other artist, whose engagement at the hotel got this alleged treatment on surviving film?

Re: A phone call to Parker's office

Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:37 am

Tits McGhee wrote:I automatically assumed by that comment that he was queer.

Parker -- with his Golden Boy

Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:23 am

Steve_M wrote:I would have thought that strange as the resident at the time in the sort of presedential suite was the guy singing on the stage. :lol:

In all my time of looking at photos and film from Vegas I've never even seen a CCTV camera - and they weren't small like todays are - but if they were there and they were switched on i would have thought that none of them would have had film in them and that they were merely used to relay the show live without any film being involved.

Well said!

It's just not credible when you consider the TV camera quality in those days together with sound gear and lighting. Not to mention storage. How were these tapes transferred to film? kinescope? And what did they play the tapes on - Umatics? Which weighed a ton apart from their relatively large size.

Strange that no-one mentioned this at the time!

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:59 pm

and he told me he had three reels of tape that contained a total of 17 songs. The titles included 'Uncle Pen', 'So Doggone Lonesome', 'Tiger Man', 'Just Walking In The Rain' and 'Feeling Good'.

So where is this stuff now?
[/quote]

Same place as your in-house TV Las Vegas concerts: they only exist in your mind.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:03 pm

lol :lol:

i almost fell for what u said, but then i realised........

oh the cruel reality! :cry:

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:07 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:so, Parker was gay?

It's increasingly obvious that it's not Parker who has gay issues ...

DJC

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:09 pm

:lol: