Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Complaints About Thats The Way It Is Special Edition.

Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:01 pm

How could anyone have any complaints about this dvd? I have had no complaints about the sound which I think is fantastic. When I watch the dvd I feel like I'm right there in the show room with Elvis. The new footage is excellent in fact I think it's better then the original. The only complaint I have is that they left out the extra song's but with an awsome dvd like this I can live with out them. This dvd is one of the best dvd releases of Elvis so far. At least they concentrate on Elvis not the stupid fan excerpts like the first one. Hopefully the Aloha and 68 dvd releases will be this good. Everyone has their opinion's and I respect that but come on folk's what more do you want?

Steve :)

Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:25 am

Although the presentation is superb, I think there is very good reason to complain about this film.

The unnecessary removal of great cover songs like I Just Can't Help Believin, and unbelievably Bridge Over Troubled Water (!?!?!?!?!?!?!) is criminal.

It misrepresents Elvis' stage show ambitions at the time. He was opening his repertioer up to include more dimensions of the current pop music scene, and gave some definitive performances on some of these songs.

Yet the editors made the kind of selections Col. Parker would have made: give the people hits hits hits, even if they are songs Elvis has done in many other live situations. And keep the movie short to leave them wanting more!

Very unfair to Elvis' legacy to leave these numbers out, and unnecessary since they were already edited (4 excised songs aired after the premiere on Turner Classic Movies.) I simply can't believe Ernst would stand by and let this happen without making a stink.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:20 am

Basically criminal to excise the songs from the original and not include them as bonus tracks, at least, especially "I Just Can't Help Believin'"

Almost as bad to snatch back the promised outakes, though how can we lose what we never had (but, nevertheless, almost had....some to the point of having those bonus titles printed on their DVD packaging).

Otherwise, it's fantastic.

But Elvis fans have been traditionally ripped off, DVD-wise. Most films on DVD have stuff ADDED -- Elvis' has material subtracted, even from scripted films. Bozos. I hope that this will change with the restored and augmented 1968 and 1973 TV material that's supposedly on its way.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:08 am

Only reason why I am a bit frustrated about this is that despite the huge ammount of work that they put together, it sounds to me as Elvis and the band are singing in different places - tha voice is clear up front but with no ambience feeling - that for exampleit has in the lost performance video.

The music is clear, but the sound, the hits that Ronny was giving on the drums, the amplifiers reverbering in the room, and Elvis answering to that - the audience screeming, the concert feeling is - according to my very personal opinion - not there.

Take for example the Jimi Hendrix DVD from 'Isle of white' of the same aguust and you can see a clear difference.

dvd

Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:28 pm

i cant understand why you think the sound is bad when i play this thru my amp it sounds truly awesome

Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:43 pm

Fabbe wrote:The music is clear, but the sound, the hits that Ronny was giving on the drums, the amplifiers reverbering in the room, and Elvis answering to that - the audience screeming, the concert feeling is - according to my very personal opinion - not there.

Beg to differ. On numbers like Pols salad Annie and Suspicious minds, it feels like Ronnie Tutt is actually hitting Elvis as well as the drums.
You can see how Elvis absorbs the drumming behind him.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:55 pm

On numbers like Pols salad Annie and Suspicious minds, it
feels like Ronnie Tutt is actually hitting Elvis as well as the drums.
You can see how Elvis absorbs the drumming behind him.

I have to agree with this as well.... that has to be one of my favorite all time renditions of "PSA". It's also great in the new Elvis-The Concert production as well. Still, my all-time favorite "PSA" is the rehearsal version from the original TTWII.... very bluesy. I was dissappointed with it on "The Way It Was" FTD release, though. The mono track on the original film had better sound than that, regardless of source "originality".

I too think leaving out some of the original performances hurt the new film a lot, and it seemed even shorter than the original to me when I viewed it at the Orpheum in Memphis at the premiere.

But it is still great....

Some notes though:

When were the various filmed shots of EP in the fringe suit ("That's All Right" and "Suspicious Minds") from the balcony taken? I noticed that the backup guys have different suits on and so do the Imperials as well. Anyone know? From the info I've seen, "Suspicious Minds" was not sung at the 8-10-70 opening show....

There are also shots interspersed in the film taken from the rear of the stage that show Elvis wearing colored belts with jumpsuits that feature white collars, and these don't show up other places in the film during the "main" stage footage.... when were these shot as well?

Do you think that perhaps MGM has even more footage than they're admitting to?