Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm

I'm not sure, but this "Elvis cover" might garner some votes:

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1XCA ... HJ8QJAF2WX
"Heartbreak Hotel" by Guns 'n' Roses

And other contenders?

Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:29 am

"so f---ing lonely...."

Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:45 am

Well, now we at least know why Axl Rose is so lonely.......and Slash left Guns N' Roses to start Velvet Revover..... :lol: .....F--king Lonely man...F--king lonely.... :roll: :lol: :oops: :twisted:

PEP 8)

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:55 am

.... the version is not so bad btw!

but i think it happens that when you listen to other artists making some
elvis song.... is clear again what a great singer elvis was...

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:22 am

I really like the GNR take - it's my favorite f*ckin cover of Heartbreak Hotel..... Image and one of my favorite covers of Elvis by anyone. :D

Greg, you'd rather something more Image or maybe Image ?

Eileen :smt020

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:21 pm

Not bad at all. Just his voice I think it´s terrible.

And yes! In a version like this you realize how good Elvis was!

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:51 pm

Slash is an Elvis man, as is Scott Weiland, singer of Velvet Revolver.

Bad Elvis covers? How about the English band Fine Young Canniballs doing Suspicious Minds?

...or what about Mickey Alba's version of Treat Me Nice? What ever became of him???

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:01 pm

surfcat wrote:...or what about Mickey Alba's version of Treat Me Nice? What ever became of him???

Sorry if this is a stupid question but Mickey Alba was a real singer or just a character in the movie? :shock:
I really don´t know.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:26 pm

Actually, I enjoy it in small doses. I like any nod to Elvis.

And the "blue" aspect of the lyrics is worth a chuckle.

But it also sounds so '80s in production and overall rock sound.

I like that they chose a song so obviously Elvis' tune, as opposed to others where someone can say, "Yeah, but Big Mama Thornton..." :roll:

Also, given the image-thrashing Elvis got in the '80s, this was a bold, pro-Elvis moment, if rarely heard. (Was it a B-side? I vaguely remember hearing it from a friend who was a GNR geek.)

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:05 pm

I'm a Guns N' Roses fan, and I actually like their version.

Axl Rose is an Elvis fan, too. Not only have I read this, but I have audio evidence. Axl mentions he's an Elvis fan, on an interview picture disc that I own.

Rich

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:16 pm

Even better. I may have to change this thread title, Axel, I mean Rich!

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:37 pm

I think it's one of the best covers of Elvis Songs.
The worst I know must be Always on my mind by the Pet Shop Boys....

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:40 pm

A big bag of shite. What a surprise.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:40 pm

nobody can beat El Principe Gitano (the gypsy prince) flamenco reading of in the ghetto. He sings the english words just as elvis sings guadalajara (that is, like you would sing a french song if you don't know a word in french)

El Principe Gitano is a legend (even international) of Flamenco singing, and strangely he likes elvis. the cover is very funny, unintentionally of course.

By the way I must insist that the Guadalajara elvis version shouldn't have been published....

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:55 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:A big bag of shite. What a surprise.

It is pretty bad, though, isn't it? If it wasn't an "Elvis song"...

And for once, we almost agree.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:19 am

Motley Crue also does a really shall we say bang-up* version of "Jailhouse Rock" on one of their cds.

*suck-a**

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:11 pm

Other than the lyrics, this is a very typical G&R song.

It's actually good that they did their own style of this song, rather than trying to imitate the Elvis version, which would have been a disaster.

Has any one heard Cheap Trick's version of Don't Be Cruel? For me that's a decent way to remake an Elvis song, I like that one too.

Greg