Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:24 am

The '70's box set could have been much better than it was. They had too many weak tracks like Hundred Years From Now, Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago, I'll Take You Home Kathlene, etc. They left off some good tracks like:

If You Don't Come Back (funkiest track he ever did)
It's Easy For You
Sylvia (pure RnB Soul)
Blue Eyes Cryin In The Rain (much better than Love Coming Down)
Solitare (better than He'll Have To Go)
I'll Never Fall In Love Agin
Never Again
Where Do I Go From Here
Find Out What's Happening
You're Love's Been A Long Time Comin
Love Song Of The Year
Love Me, Love The Life I Lead

Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:57 am

The operative word in the title of this set was "Essential." Obviously, many of us disagreed with a few such choices (where on earth was "Early Morning Rain"?) but quite a few tracks that Lakeisha mentions were arguably smartly left off. And those that were included all made decent sense.

This 1995 set allowed Elvis' '70s work to get a new critical respect and reconsideration thanks to a discriminating track selection and the persuasive notes by acclaimed critic (and avowed Elvis fan) Dave Marsh. Fans cry out for "all the masters" but this set achieved its goal, by and large. And it's not as if the diehards (myself included) didn't go out and get the individual CDs that had the missing tracks, all of which were available on vinyl for years.

Ernst Jorgensen (et al.) in this set succeeded in the mission of "rescuing the '70s Elvis." We'd all do it somewhat differently but let's not pretend every master accomplishes the goal of rehabilitating Elvis' often-maligned '70s output.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:56 am

i was listening to ABC radio talking bout Elvis's birthday. there was a tourism manager for the Elvis festival in Australia, and the radio presenter asked 'what Elvis do u prefer? hip swinging sexy Elvis, or the 70s bloated fat peanut butter sandwich loving jumpsuited vegas Elvis'?

:evil: i was about to blow my top! not a good thing at 2:30 in the morning :lol:

i would've rang up the woman (becoz they have talkback radio) and told her all about the myth and set it straight

Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:41 pm

Lakeisha wrote:The '70's box set could have been much better than it was. They had too many weak tracks like Hundred Years From Now, Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago, I'll Take You Home Kathlene, etc. They left off some good tracks like:

If You Don't Come Back (funkiest track he ever did)
It's Easy For You
Sylvia (pure RnB Soul)
Blue Eyes Cryin In The Rain (much better than Love Coming Down)
Solitare (better than He'll Have To Go)
I'll Never Fall In Love Agin
Never Again
Where Do I Go From Here
Find Out What's Happening
You're Love's Been A Long Time Comin
Love Song Of The Year
Love Me, Love The Life I Lead

“A Hundred Years From Now” was a worthy inclusion because these sets have to include some previously unissued material to give the fans something to get excited about. It also showed Elvis returning to his early bluegrass influences whilst recording the landmark “Elvis Country” album which can’t be a bad thing.

One the same subject the 70’s set included the first release of the “Elvis Country” masters without the “I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago” link track, so it made seen to include this song in it’s entirety as it was part of what many would cite as Elvis’ strongest studio collection of the 70’s.

Personally, I wouldn’t call “I’ll Take You Home Again, Kathleen” weak. I think it’s a great performance, and it represents one of those occasions when Elvis was singing for the sheer enjoyment of doing so, rather than thinking about possible hit singles or songs that were suitable for a pop album.

For me the inclusion of the three 1971 piano tracks undubbed and unedited was a real highlight of the 70’s set.

Of course one fan’s ‘essential Elvis’ can be quite different to another’s but I think Ernst did an excellent job with the track listing, and really proved to the doubters that in the ‘70’s Elvis could still be a viable, progressive recording artist.

Songs like “Where Do I Go From Here”, “Love Me, Love The Life I Lead”, “If You Don’t Come Back” and “Sylvia” wouldn’t be considered studio highlights in my opinion, and really highlight how Elvis ‘70’s studio sessions were often let down by weak material that wasn’t really good enough for an artist of Elvis’ stature.

Re: Why Is The 70s Box Deleted?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:08 am

londonflash wrote:Boy, is it a little bleeder to find!

Not so much here in the U.S. After this thread started I started taking notice as I browsed around various CD shops. Most of them still have this on the shelves.

On a different note, I was in Country Music USA in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee a couple of months ago and they were selling the 60's box set for $12.95.

If I didn't already have it, I would have been all over it.