Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why Is The 70s Box Deleted?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:39 pm

After picking up the 50s Box for under £40 from HMV, I thought it'd be nice to get the 70s one to complete the trilogy (had the 60s set for yonks).

Boy, is it a little bleeder to find!

All the big record stores have plenty of the first two set lying around but Walk A Mile In My Shoes is as elusive as Lord Lucan. Even the wonderful record shops in Soho couldn't help me (although one did direct me to the best sex shop in town :wink: ).

Looks like this ol' technophobe will have to join the e-bayers.

Bit daft to have only deleted the one, though. Surely its sales weren't that poor in comparision with the other two (particularly the 60s box) and it was the last to appear. Stupid to leave two out of three available if you ask me; all three compliment each other well. Excellent, well-priced collections for casual fans and us diehards.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:46 pm

There is no logical explanation as there is no logic behind the mainstream Elvis Presley catalogue.

Hey, look at the bright side, in February you can get the new Rock, Country & Inspirational cds! :roll:

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Andrew, a brother of mine has picked up all three boxsets either new or in mint condition over the last month for just under £50 the lot on Ebay.

&0's box

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:47 pm

Can't have the image of that 70's Elvis out there - you know, the fat, bloated, drugged out Elvis (as seen in That's the Way it Is, lol). Gotta keep Elvis eternally 1956. :(

Re: Why Is The 70s Box Deleted?

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:10 am

londonflash wrote:All the big record stores have plenty of the first two set lying around but Walk A Mile In My Shoes is as elusive as Lord Lucan. Even the wonderful record shops in Soho couldn't help me (although one did direct me to the best sex shop in town :wink: ).

You should have taken the hint. If you had gone to the sex shop you would have found Lord Lucan working in there and selling of all things the 70's box set - but in a plain brown paper bag. :lol:

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:34 am

I just checked Amazon they have it........four to six weeks delivery.....

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:58 am

Andrew -

I know just how you feel !

I've also been looking for the best sex shop in town for years !

So where is it, then ?

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:01 am

Be happy you have the Elvis ducks. :lol: :lol:

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:28 am

according to the book ' A LIFE IN MUSIC-THE COMPLETE RECORDING SESSIONS, the 70s box did not sell more than 500, 000 copies, which of course certifies a gold record. yet again this book was published some time ago so....

i can't believe the public! i bet that whole image put them off as thinking he was fat, out of it, and the boxset would be sh*t house. this boxset must be one of the most stonking collections of music around!

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:15 am

Where does one begin about what RCA has deleted? And what retarded notions some people have about '70s Elvis?

On this however, it should be noted that box sets seem to have distinct numbers printed. I'm not all that surprised, although the '50s box was reisssued in a smaller box eventually.

Here is a related thread on the '70s box :
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:15 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Image

Where does one begin about what RCA has deleted? Are what retarded notions some people have about '70s Elvis?

On this however, it should be noted that box sets seem to have distinct numbers printed. I'm not all that surprised, although the '50s box was reisssued in a smaller box eventually.

Here is a related thread on the '70s box :
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Greg:

Both the 50s and 60s boxes contained special edition numbering on the top of the box (a hologaphic stamp) giving it a limited edition number of sorts. The 70s box, though, never came with this feature. Why, I don't know?

In the states, I have seen the 70s box faily frequentlt in music stores. In fact, in NYC at thge Virgin mega store in Union Square, they had 2 or 3 copies of the box.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:53 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:according to the book ' A LIFE IN MUSIC-THE COMPLETE RECORDING SESSIONS, the 70s box did not sell more than 500, 000 copies, which of course certifies a gold record. yet again this book was published some time ago so....

The RIAA tallies the number of actual discs sold when making awards.

So 500,000 sales of a 5-disc set would equate to a 2.5 million sale by RIAA rules.

The 70's box has only qualified for a 'gold' award which equates to sales of between 100,000 and 199,999 sets in the US.

Had it reached 200,000 sets [1,000,000 discs] it would have qualified for a 'platinum' award.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:11 pm

This is reallly hard to get. It was hard for me to get on Amazon. I went also to ebay. It took me about a year to finally get it!! It is a fantastic set, though. Worth waiting for!! (I've never seen it in stores. But then again, when it first came out I didn't know it was out!)
sue

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:48 pm

http://product.half.ebay.com/Walk-A-Mil ... 2QQtgZinfo

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:14 pm

Mike, you're right: I regularly check out "Borders," and other stores and sure enough: there's the '70s box.

I do like to see it, but I suspect they're still trying to "move" it.

I think it was outstanding.

If they're was a housefire, I'd grab that sucker and a few other things and hightail it outside!

Re: &0's box

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:15 pm

Gotta keep Elvis eternally 1956.

If only. If only...

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:49 am

I love '50s Elvis (and go to the mat here occasionally for it) but c'mon, Tits. Your comments here of late reveal a rather opinionated fan who likes but a little of what the man actually recorded. I hope I'm wrong.

I dare say I "grew up" with the '50s Elvis (albeit years later) but now grow older with the Elvis of the '60s and '70s. And thank god he didn't stay in one bag.

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:24 pm

the 70's box needs to be upgraded to include all the masters and remixed by kevan.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:36 am

JonRomanovich wrote:http://product.half.ebay.com/Walk-A-Mile-In-My-Shoes-The-Essential-Box_W0QQprZ3201492QQtgZinfo

I wanted to thank Jon for this tip about half.ebay.com because I just ordered and received Elvis and Gladys for less than $5.00, including tax!! It's a great book that I had been trying to find for a reasonable price for a long time, too (just like the 70s box set). I first read a library copy.
sue

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:34 am

Here in Norway, you may still come across all three box sets.
But, still I found the 70's box a little off target, compared to the two previous ones. I think it would have made more sense to stick to the formula of the two previous ones.
Especially when you think of the fact that in the end we had the LIVE IN LAS VEGAS box.
So, if ever there were a box set to be upgraded, I think the 70's box would be the first. Then the 50's box with all the later, better tapes that have surfaced since that box were released.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Does anyone know why the '70's set didn't contain the stamp set like the other two.The actual box appears to be more flimsy than the others as well.

Re: Why Is The 70s Box Deleted?

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:03 pm

londonflash wrote:After picking up the 50s Box for under £40 from HMV, I thought it'd be nice to get the 70s one to complete the trilogy (had the 60s set for yonks).

Boy, is it a little bleeder to find!

Yourmusic.com has it for 29.95 $. So if you could find somebody in the US who could take your order and then forward it to you, you'd get a sealed copy of the boxset.
Last edited by see-see-rider on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:04 pm

944cabby wrote:Does anyone know why the '70's set didn't contain the stamp set like the other two.

Well, mine did contain the stamp set ...

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:39 pm

see-see-rider wrote:
944cabby wrote:Does anyone know why the '70's set didn't contain the stamp set like the other two.

Mine, too.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:29 pm

JerryNodak wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:

Mine, too.

Mine definately hasn't, but my 50's & 60's sets have.My set was sealed when i received it as well.