Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

NEW RIAA AWARDS - DISGRACEFUL SONY BMG

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:20 pm

The following is taken from the Official EPE site. It is becoming apparent as the days go by that Sony BMG are more interested in re-launching Michael Jackson's career than in spending money to research Elvis' past record sales. What happened to all those thousands of boxes of sales material that they found in New York? I suspect they have not even been opened yet!!!!

With the latest upgrades Elvis will not even get to 120 million album sales.

Sony BMG (U.S.A.) you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Brian :x

RIAA Awards For Elvis - Presentation On January 8, 2006 12/20/2005
On January 8, 2006, as part of the annual Elvis Presley Day proclamation ceremony for Elvis's birthday, Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) awards will be presented upgrading the sales certification status of two Elvis albums - ELV1S 30 #1 HITS and It's Christmas Time and the for first sales certifications for the DVD Elvis By The Presleys.

The album ELV1S 30 #1 HITS is to be upgraded from 3X Platinum to 4X Platinum (4 million units sold). The album It's Christmas Time is to be upgraded from Platinum to 2X Platinum (2 million units sold). The Elvis By The Presleys DVD is to be certified 2X Platinum (200,000 units sold) in the category of Music Video Long Form.

RIAA awards reflect only certified sales in the United States and do not recognize sales in any other countries.

In addition to the RIAA awards, a Sony BMG award commemorating the 50th Anniversary of Elvis on RCA Records will be presented. RCA Records bought Elvis's Sun Records contract from producer Sam Phillips in November 1955. Elvis's first RCA recording session was on January 10, 1956. That session yielded Heartbreak Hotel, which became his first national #1 pop hit and his first gold record award winner. Click here for a recent article detailing Sony BMG's special commemorative CD releases in January 2006.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:10 pm

Brian -

Thanks for that !

It is disappointing, considering it's such a long time since the last update.

Wonder if they'll ever find the documentation for the mammoth sales immediately following Elvis' death ?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:20 pm

ColinB wrote:Brian -

Thanks for that !

It is disappointing, considering it's such a long time since the last update.

Wonder if they'll ever find the documentation for the mammoth sales immediately following Elvis' death ?

Colin,

I certainly hope so. I suspect that Ernst Jorgensen is the man who does such research and unfortunately he was ill for a considerable period this year as we all know.

Perhaps Simon Fuller, who is now going to promote the Elvis back catalogue, will get on the case.

Brian

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 pm

ImageImage

I still recoil when I see "Sony" (formerly Columbia Records) on an Elvis album. This is a new "2005" development that I noticed on the BIG BOSS MAN FTD.
You know they are mum because Elvis is a horse they don't care about anymore. Say what you will about RCA (later RCA BMG) but they used to have to care a bit.

Elvis RIAA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Sony Elvis? C'mon, where's the HMV dog? Columbia/CBS is Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Andy Williams, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Barbara...sorry, guess I'm a traditionalist!

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:08 pm

Give me a break!! Elvis has been dead going on 28 years and he's still getting gold, platinum and multi-platinum certifications. Yet some of you are complaining about the NUMBER of certifications being given. Be thankful for what there is. I'm sure more will be forthcoming in time.

Remember the world is still talking about Elvis after all these years. What if they weren't? What is NOBODY gave a damn!!

Stop complaining and be thankful.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:11 pm

Lonely Summer, good points, but what can we do?

Jerry, it's okay to stick up for Elvis' certifications, especially in the light of how Sony seems more stuck on promoting it's in-house stable of acts like Michael Jackson. One can hardly say they stick up for Elvis' legacy.

Also, they've done squat about the Fred Bronson / BILLBOARD controversy involving Madonna.

Complaining is a good thing, by the way. Complacency is not.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:42 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Give me a break!! Elvis has been dead going on 28 years and he's still getting gold, platinum and multi-platinum certifications. Yet some of you are complaining about the NUMBER of certifications being given. Be thankful for what there is. I'm sure more will be forthcoming in time.

Remember the world is still talking about Elvis after all these years. What if they weren't? What is NOBODY gave a damn!!

Stop complaining and be thankful.

Jerry, if he is undercertified by the RIAA [which he is] why shouldn't we moan & complain ?

Fair's fair.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:59 pm

Okay, Okay. Complain all you want. I'm just glad he's still being certified.
Whether it's two at a time or 10. THAT was my primary point.

Further, I believe he will always be under ceritfied because either Sony/BMG doesn't have(and never will find) proper documentation relating to principally the '50s and post-death '77 or Billboard will never change their rules to account for the fact that the bulk of his sales happened in a much different world in relation to the medium used, length available(LP vs. cd) and all the rest of it.

In my opinion Elvis' TRUE sales total will probably never be known. And If I'm wrong, Billboard will change their rules again so they don't have to count half of the total.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:15 am

Sales figures, surveys, chart positions...all of 'em mean doodley squat. It's what he means to us as individuals and the world at large - and in that respect, by his very being and influence, he's the biggest and most important star there has ever been, or ever will be. FULL FRIGGING STOP.

So Madonna or Mariah Carey or Whoever might have one or two or more chart hits or play to larger audiences. So what? Who gives a rat's arse? IT DOESN'T MATTER. He'll always be Elvis and he'll always be the best. He did it first. End of story.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:21 am

Tits McGhee: Well said.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:29 am

I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me a bit with all the ongoing discussions of Elvis' new "36 Top 10 Hits" discrepency and claim, but, in reality, how many of you actually think about Sales figures, surveys, and chart positions when you pop in a Presley disc :?: :wink:

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:12 am

Get used to this. With only a handful of titles widely available you're unlikely to see major upgrades in catalogue titles. Worse the way BMG and (now) Sony has marketed Elvis, the 30 tracks on E1 and the Christmas music are Elvis.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:23 pm

Minkahed wrote:
...in reality, how many of you actually think about Sales figures, surveys, and chart positions when you pop in a Presley disc

I do [and not just then].

Because I'm proud of our boy's achievements !

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:18 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:Sales figures, surveys, chart positions...all of 'em mean doodley squat. It's what he means to us as individuals and the world at large - and in that respect, by his very being and influence, he's the biggest and most important star there has ever been, or ever will be. FULL FRIGGING STOP.

So Madonna or Mariah Carey or Whoever might have one or two or more chart hits or play to larger audiences. So what? Who gives a rat's arse? IT DOESN'T MATTER. He'll always be Elvis and he'll always be the best. He did it first. End of story.

Sure most all of us agree with that instinctively.

But you know, and I know, that the general public's perception of Elvis can be swayed (here in the USA, it's been off-kilter and distorted for years), so I still keep an eye on the moronic PR stunts of Madonna and Mariah. Seeing banner headlines of Elvis' being "surpassed" still bothers me, even if it's total pablum. Too many people then believe it.

The best revenge, though, is that most of these later hits by Madonna and Mariah are in fact not remembered at all, so the full weight of the legacies of the Elvis (or the Beatles or Sinatra) will always trounce them when they eventually discuss the legends of the epoch.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:00 pm

It's inevitable that Madonna and co. will sell more records than Elvis as time goes by, but, as I said earlier, IT DOESN'T MATTER. They'll never achieve what our boy achieved. His record speaks for itself - and always will.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:32 am

Let's not forget here that it is IMPOSSIBLE to truly match Elvis's sales. Back in the 50's, they didn't put out an album of 6 singles, they put out an album AND one single (yes yes I know they did release the first LP as 6 singles in '56). There was no preformatted radio then. The radio was based on the music not the image or marketability.

There were no promotions like "get a free Garth Brooks collectors cup when you order a super value meal at Burger King" or other tie ins which constantly prodded the mindless lemmings that are the American public at large that they need to go buy this record. Nowadays music is marketed towards kids and young adults in a way that the soul is completely gone. You don't record a record anymore, you build one. Track by track with everyone doing their part separately and having it all be "perfect". Machines making sounds where people once did. Music is not the same, neither is the game.

I can hear a song by, say, Shania Twain, on the country radio station, and then on the pop station...and where there was a fiddle solo on the first one, there's a lead guitar solo in it's place. It's all bullshit now and if any of these contender wannabes had to sell records the way Elvis did, they wouldn't get half the sales they supposedly have today.

Elvis helped make the record business a multi-billion dollar corporation. And he did it by selling numbers that can only be acheived today with the backing of the giant corporate machine...but he did it without the machine.
And who gets the richest? Fat white guys in thousand dollar suits that wouldn't know soul if it bit them in the ass...

Numbers can be duplicated, Elvis' feats in obtaining them originally can NOT.

But I do agree that there should be more certifications. Anytime someone "ties" or "breaks" Elvis' record, the less respect Elvis is seen with by the general public. Especially if it ain't true. People are dumb and will believe what they read...and let's face it, if we weren't Elvis fans and didn't know any better, we'd probably believe it too.

Wow. I think I need to take a nap now....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Axe

Elvis RIAA

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:11 am

Actually, promotional tie ins are nothing new. There was a record player sold in the 50's that came with a bunch of RCA 45's, including one from Elvis (it's shown in the book with Legendary Performer, Volume 3). Does anyone really believe,though, that Garth Brooks was ever ahead of Elvis in total sales? We're talking a career that started in, what, 1990? How many albums, 10? Compared with 1954 to 1977 and beyond, with 50+ albums in his lifetime and quadruple that number since his death? Not to mention that singles were the big sellers in the 50's and 60's, we'll never know how many records Elvis really sold, but the same is true for Rick Nelson, Roy Orbison, Fats Domino, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:24 am

Good points, guys. But:

Tits McGhee wrote:It's inevitable that Madonna and co. will sell more records than Elvis as time goes by, but, as I said earlier, IT DOESN'T MATTER. They'll never achieve what our boy achieved. His record speaks for itself - and always will.

I agree with the spirit of this, but even here, you too readily cede ground: first: Elvis' sales were truly mammoth (and the Beatles as well) while Madonna (whether fair or not) came along at a time when buying music was already in decline, especially singles in the USA in the last 15 years or so.

She cannot equal his sales just on the technology change alone and the fact that people just don't "vote with their feet" and go out and buy singles and albums as they once did. (Instead a shakier and less tanglible "number one" is essentially created -bought?- by record companies who 'work" the radio stations.)

But in fairness to Elvis, I think he moved music lovers to actually go out and buy his records, and arguably pumped new life into the concept of buying records. This is especially true among teenagers.

And for what it's worth, the penetration and impact of such actual sales meant his cultural stock (or, say, the Beatles') was much higher by virtue of being in almost every home.

Madonna's terrain was more in the "music video" clip realm of MTV and "Friday Night Videos" (in the USA), which were was something Elvis and the Beatles had a touch with with their Sullivan appearences and the like.

And I can almost put Madonna on some of their level in terms of impact (as LiketheBike has argued) but Mariah Carey? Not at all. Her music is noticeably thinner and it seems fewer still are even nostagic for it compared to "Madge's" '80s anthems.

Re: Elvis RIAA

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:01 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:Actually, promotional tie ins are nothing new. There was a record player sold in the 50's that came with a bunch of RCA 45's, including one from Elvis (it's shown in the book with Legendary Performer, Volume 3).

That is true, but I bet people can afford a value meal etc more easily then they could a record player. People need food all the time. What was it, like $60, back in 1956? Besides it was an Elvis record player. You had to want it to buy it, as opposed to "we can go grocery shopping, to a restaurant, or...hey! let's hit Burger King since they have that special collector's watch for $1.99 on sale..."

But then again the state of affairs of business today (and not just the music biz) just gets my goat...

Axe

Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:55 pm

On a more positive note, let's hope that 2007 will be a good one for getting Elvis' back record sales accredited with the RIAA. I have a feeling that there will be a lot more then.

Brian :D