Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: king creole

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:14 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Compere quality, and learn. Hi Doc!

Amen to that, Mr. Pink & Black.

DJC

king creole

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:39 pm

... Dear o dear... Its been over 6 years since my book Inside King Creole. I honestly cant remember all the facts anymore... And doing all that Acid in the past burned out some of my memories... [ ha! little joke there! ] That great mag, Elvis the man and his music, did an exclusive interview with Dolores, not so long ago. I believe the story behind those Hotel room photos was they rehearsed the scene where Nellie unzips the back of her dress, while Danny looks on, on the bed [ page 92 of Inside KC ] , but it was decided not to film that scene, Nellie not being that kind of a girl, unzipping on her first date with Danny... Am I right, Doc ?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:48 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff, yes I remember now....I thought I was dreaming because i looked in your book and there weren't any details to find......and now that you bring it up i do remember reading that article...thanks....

Pity it wan't filmed.......

One last thing for the night when's your next book coming out and what would the theme be?

PEP 8)

king creole

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:04 pm

... Dont stop now, Pep! Theres 168 pgs to Inside KC, and theres that cool cartoon on page 147 that needs to be seen by all my new fans, all over the world! And what about that Rockin the broomstick photo on page 45?!!

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:22 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Dont stop now, Pep! Theres 168 pgs to Inside KC, and theres that cool cartoon on page 147 that needs to be seen by all my new fans, all over the world! And what about that Rockin the broomstick photo on page 45?!!

Well, since you asked.... :wink:
You got to love it ! :wink: :D
PEP 8)

king creole

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:47 pm

... Pep, you is frickin brilliant ! Yes, you is. Must get me a photo scanner myself, so I can terrorize this site with tons of 50s photos in the future!! A possible future book is one on 1957. But how soon? Depends on so many things... Inside Loving You sold less than 1500... Most fans prefer the "other" Elvis. The one I dont want to do a book about. I leave that to The Toonz in Chicago. Good job, Joe! Pep, hope to rock with you again soon! But, nice people out there, this Topic is still open for your comments...

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:57 pm

Bye for now :wink:
Maybe Santa will get you that scanner for Christmas lets hope ! :D

PEP 8)

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:34 pm

A possible future book is one on 1957. But how soon? Depends on so many things... Inside Loving You sold less than 1500... Most fans prefer the "other" Elvis.

Yes pleeeze, Mr. Tall Hair! How soon? Next week okay (let's get Christmas out of the way first). I'll buy the first ten copies myself. How does that sound?

The "other" Elvis? Is that the one in those mad rhinestone suits with the bell-bottom pants? No sir, not for me. He was an imposter. I want the REAL Elvis. And you're the man to give him to us, Mr. Tall Hair!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Quiffy-boy!

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:37 pm

Wow! Those are great!! I love color pictures from the 50s! I sorta wish this film was in color but the B&W looks very cool also! Thank you for posting those, great stuff!!!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:16 pm

I love to see those 50's pictures, bring them on.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:07 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Dont stop now, Pep! Theres 168 pgs to Inside KC, and theres that cool cartoon on page 147 that needs to be seen by all my new fans, all over the world! And what about that Rockin the broomstick photo on page 45?!!

Elvis wearing Jeans! Off duty............... and singing to a brush :lol:

I really need more books from Holland!

Ger when are you coming to Ireland?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:35 pm

By the way I wanted to Thank thefunkyangel for posting the candids and starting this thread also Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff for coming out with such great books over the years.....
I have been in a position to buy pretty much 99% of what he has come out with and do look forward to anything else he might come out with in the future....

An Elvis book on 57' sounds exciting especially if we end up seeing a lot of unreleased Gold Lame' shots with most shots in color if possible !
Now that would be cool ! 8)

I hope for Ger Rijff's next book the support will be there to exceed 1500 units for everyones sake..... :D

Because without a strong enough support pictures like these may be kept unseen to us all..........
and we wouldn't want that now would we..... :wink: :lol:

Happy Holidays to all may something Elvis be under your tree.....

For Ger Rijff I understand he' hoping for a scanner lets hope it happens !

PEP 8)

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:06 am

PEP where does the top pic in your last post come from ?

not sure why but I don't like it. It has this fake look about it

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:15 am

Steve_M wrote:PEP where does the top pic in your last post come from ?

not sure why but I don't like it. It has this fake look about it

Steve are you talking about the 57' shot?..

If you are it has been colorised no doubt about it...... where I got it from I cannot remember, I've had it for a while now.....

Colorizing can work sometimes while other times it can't, I'm not suggesting by posting that picture Ger Riff should resort to this sort of thing for his next book just so he has color pictures in it.

At the same time it would be nice to see real color pictures from this period in his next book.

Like this one as a example.

PEP 8)

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:18 am

Ah! now you say, i was looking at it as something not being "correct" or "true" about it, but along the lines of that 57 shot of Elvis was superimposed over an ealrier 55 / 56 shot - almost July 31st 1955 Tampa background with a 57 Gold Lame Elvis put on top.

Like that last one, the Jord's just squeezing in there wearing the jackets they wore in 56 and as far as color goes, memorably on the Tupelo 56 shows.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:26 am

Steve_M wrote:Ah! now you say, i was looking at it as something not being "correct" or "true" about it, but along the lines of that 57 shot of Elvis was superimposed over an ealrier 55 / 56 shot - almost July 31st 1955 Tampa background with a 57 Gold Lame Elvis put on top.

Like that last one, the Jord's just squeezing in there wearing the jackets they wore in 56 and as far as color goes, memorably on the Tupelo 56 shows.

As far as I know steve the picture is real, meaning the only alterations done to the picture was the color......

I've been wrong before and will be wrong again but in my opinion I think its a real shot because of what Bill Black is wearing....looking at it closer I do know what your saying tho....

Nevertheless a Classic shot !

PEP 8)

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:40 am

no, i agree with you that the overall photo is genuine.

I meant the Tampa look-a-like bit of it is what was running through my mind when I was trying to see what was "untrue" about the pic.

when you said it was colorised it all made sense. :wink:

The amp is on wheels by 57 rather than being propped up on a chair.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:03 am

Steve_M wrote::

The amp is on wheels by 57 rather than being propped up on a chair.

Hey Steve that was neat you noticed that.....good eye..

PEP 8)

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:22 am

Ger, just curious, have you ever thought of doing a "digital book"?

There are a million reasons why it's not the best idea, from the fact that a real book is much cooler to the other fact that a CD or DVD is easy to copy and bootleg - but it might be an "if nothing else works" solution.

That way you could do all the work at home if you wanted to, and there are programs that could be used to give it the page-by-page look, so it would be like having a book, only you put it in your computer.

I'm not by any means saying it's a better idea than a real book - but if there's a project that won't get published any other way but has some great info you think everybody would enjoy.. maybe then it might work.

This is just from somebody (me) who is a big fan of all your books (that I've found so far - which is a decent chunk of them), and just hates to hear about you having problems getting more of them out all the big fans who enjoy them.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:28 am

he hasn't Jamie, but it was suggested to him on here, wasn't it Ger.

Jamie, the man isn't quite up to par with hi-tech and the 21st century. He feels a little lost at sea with it all, but i did offer to help him out with it and do an on line book that's downloadable in pdf or something.

He'll come round one day. for now he's still in 1956 - and that ain't a bad place to be. :wink:

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:39 am

JamieAKelley wrote:Ger, just curious, have you ever thought of doing a "digital book"?

There are a million reasons why it's not the best idea, from the fact that a real book is much cooler to the other fact that a CD or DVD is easy to copy and bootleg - but it might be an "if nothing else works" solution.

That way you could do all the work at home if you wanted to, and there are programs that could be used to give it the page-by-page look, so it would be like having a book, only you put it in your computer.

I'm not by any means saying it's a better idea than a real book - but if there's a project that won't get published any other way but has some great info you think everybody would enjoy.. maybe then it might work.

This is just from somebody (me) who is a big fan of all your books (that I've found so far - which is a decent chunk of them), and just hates to hear about you having problems getting more of them out all the big fans who enjoy them.

This IS a good idea, but as Steve said, it has been mentioned to Ger, and he didn't like the idea, which is a shame.

I know what Ger means when he says it's not like the real thing, having the book in your hands, flicking through the pages, and I totally understand his point of view, but if this (Online) is the ONLY way to get something NEW published by him, I would back him, and would love to help out anyway I could.

I too have most of his books (still looking for some though!) and they have always been "First Class" as far as I'm concerned. But if you have any more ideas in the pipe line Ger, get them out!

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:49 am

Steve, that's understandable. And that is a great place to be. :) I'm a tech nut (when it eases taking my stuff with me because I travel so much), but the styles, cars, and vibe then just can't be matched - it's ingrained in my personal taste, too. People can say what they want, but there's such a timelessness (is that a word?) that most things (cars, etc) from that era still turn heads.

Anyway, that's great that you offered to help, I was thinking that I'm sure he'd be offered a lot of help if he ever wanted it. I'd do it myself if I could find the time but I know that's impossible - though I do know some people who are great with stuff like that.

However they come out, I'm just glad to have 'em. And I know I don't just speak for myself on that. :D

Edit: Keith, as usual, we're on the same wavelength! Merry Christmas, buddy.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:30 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... A little correction here. Only the 3rd color photo [ with Wallis looking down ] is one from the many made Paramount Publicity shots. The other two are fan candids. Compere quality, and learn. Hi Doc! I think, KC was shot strictly as a Black & White film. The often dark and moody camera work was that of a typical 40s / 50s Film Noir. So who started the "filmed in Color " story in the first place? Dear Georgie... [ c EP, Memphis 69 Sessions ] or one of the Incrowd Experts on this mb? Teach me, I wanne learn...

Ger:
I also think the film was only shot in B&W. As noted, Wallis was stingy with money, especially since Elvis about to head into the army and an uncertain future.

More importantly, Michael Curtiz, the director of KC, love B&W becasue it allowed him to emphasize shadows and light much more. Indeed, dark shadows was a hallmark of his picture, the most famous being Casablanca. Even when Curtiz directed in Color, such as The Adventures of Robin Hood, he still heavily used shawdos for dramatic effect.

Mike C