Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

KID GALAHAD DVD

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:19 am

Has anyone had time to view this new US release? I haven't found it in the stores yet though I admit I haven't looked real hard. Would like to know what you think of the quality, etc. I assume there are no extras.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:23 am

The pic quality is amazing and sound is similar to the rest of the Elvis release. I am traveling right now and cannot remember the sound specs. KOTWWW sounded great but dont know if it Dolby 2 channel or Mono or what. The pic is very very good. Similar to Loving You restoration. It did say remastered in HD. I don't know how significant that is on a 1960's release??

TCB
Jon

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:20 am

It is in HD according to the box. I have some issues with the sound which I am pretty sure is in mono.

The big disappointment is that there is the fact that the movie appears to have been reframed. Some of the top of the screen has been cut off to meet the widescreen standard. You still get more picture than on the VHS but you're really not supposed to lose any part of the picture when you return to the original aspect ratio. There are of course no extras, not even a trailer although there are trailers for other MGM products. There are only 12 chapter breaks and none for the songs.

So, I'd say it's not the greatest DVD but it suits the purpose of upgrading from VHS. Buy it and you get better picture, sound and durability.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:41 am

How is this release compared to the R2 DVD ?? Is it better or worse. The R2 was OK but not remastered from original print

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:56 am

The european version is good. You can't really expect, that such a film is remastered and restored to the best picture quality and with a 5.1 sound. It doesn't sell enough. It's ok the way it was done.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:26 pm

dl wrote:The european version is good. You can't really expect, that such a film is remastered and restored to the best picture quality and with a 5.1 sound. It doesn't sell enough. It's ok the way it was done.

Ik know, I have the UK/R2 DVD - But what I like to know if the new R1 is sourced from the same material. If the US is an upgrade -HD master- I would buy it ...

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:38 pm

It might be remastered in HD since the film companies do that now with all the titles to prepare for next years HD launch. You don't get any better quality on DVD but when it's released on Blu-ray (or HD-DVD) disc the resolution will be much better and it will look more like film (clearer and more natural).

Maybe that's why we don't get the missing Elvis titles on DVD. They will only release them on the next media format to get people started to replace their current DVD collection. I don't think that's why but it makes some sense to me.

Most people would probably be satisfied with DVD but some of us like to watch our Elvis movies on a 100" screen and some of them really look bad. With better resolution it will be like watching a movie at the cinema. If they make a proper transfer that is. Clambake look terrible on a 20" TV so a good media format doesn't necessarily guarantee a good product.

Re: KID GALAHAD DVD

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:45 pm

steve in SC wrote:Has anyone had time to view this new US release? I haven't found it in the stores yet though I admit I haven't looked real hard. Would like to know what you think of the quality, etc. I assume there are no extras.

Steve -
You can find it at Wal-Mart for $10.00.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks I picke dit up today while at Best Buy. So the question is if you have a HDTV will this dvd be seen in HD?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:31 pm

steve in SC wrote:Thanks I picke dit up today while at Best Buy. So the question is if you have a HDTV will this dvd be seen in HD?

NO, regular dvd are not coded for HD, BluRay or HD-DVD will be the new High DEf standards ...

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:47 am

New DVD`s are transferred to standard DVD picture from an High Definition source.
The same High Definition source will be used on the two new DVD formats.
It is cheaper to do it this way. :wink:

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:21 pm

It looks damn good on my HDTV :D

If you liked the PQ of Loving You on DVD then this is comparable.

Its also not a bad picture too :lol:

Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:19 am

So the "transferred from HD source" dosent' really mean anything yet.... ?not until it's transferred to a blu-Ray or HD-DVD ? A DVD as we have them now is only 8,5 GB - while a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will have more than 20 GB....or am I wrong ?