Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:35 pm

See? That's the bias I'm talking about. It seems only people under 40 are able to see that Sinatra and Bennett actually had something going on - and that Elvis was a revolutionary of sorts for bringing rock (and other genres) to the Vegas strip.

The '50s rock crowd sometimes seems to have a problem with actual singing and singers.

I agree Vegas was a place he should have moved on from, but he did also tour all over the USA at the time. He wasn't totally holed up in Vegas. Close but let's have some perspective.

I have the same misgivings about his movies, but from what you write, we should just cue up the Sun Sessions and leave the rest to rot.

So what '70s songs should he have not done?

"American Trilogy"?
"My Boy"?
"Hurt"?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:13 pm

According to Larry Geller, Elvis told him in late 76' that he would never play Vegas again. But other sources tell us that Elvis was to play in Vegas in December 77' (had he lived) :?:

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:01 am

Elvis always said he was never playing Vegas again in latter years, well not a constant rant 24 / 7 but a disgruntled comment to those who were within earshot.

Elvis was booked to open the new showroom. The contract was signed and done, they even kept him away from Vegas deliberately in order to whet the appetite hence no early engagement in the year.

The Mo' Ali fight was staged instead after Elvis died. They felt Ali was the nearest thing they could get in stature after Elvis.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:33 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote: I don't think anything could have saved Elvis. Keith Richards, Jr.

Except a happy personal life.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:32 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:See? That's the bias I'm talking about. It seems only people under 40 are able to see that Sinatra and Bennett actually had something going on - and that Elvis was a revolutionary of sorts for bringing rock (and other genres) to the Vegas strip.

The '50s rock crowd sometimes seems to have a problem with actual singing and singers.

I agree Vegas was a place he should have moved on from, but he did also tour all over the USA at the time. He wasn't totally holed up in Vegas. Close but let's have some perspective.

I have the same misgivings about his movies, but from what you write, we should just cue up the Sun Sessions and leave the rest to rot.

You know Gregory Nolan Jr I agree with alot of what you said here....the Vegas years were certainly a catch 22......
Elvis rocked in 69' Vegas and kept it Rocking to at least 72' in my opinion.
Wearing those early jumpsuits when he was Mean and Lean, he still looked totally cool and still does today when One looks at those pictures.....in my opinion.

After 72' for sure he was on his slow decline.......all in all, all he needed was a break..... "PERIOD", to regroup to stay off the drugs and stop trying to find out why he was what he was....to just accept the fact his talent would solve all if he put his mind to it.....42 was way to young to fall off the Rockin chair looking how he looked but that's another storty isn't it....

It is what it is ......

When I was 16 and I saw Elvis in March of 75' in Vegas as a 16 year old my expectations were high...the image was bigger then he was at the time...Because I expected so much more...
[Image

He still looked great mind you and was in a pretty good mood...but good grief where was the Rock?........the Only song that saved the day was Promised Land at that D/S...

But it didn't even have the same kick as the record....
never did live in my opinion.

I kinda understand why Tits or Ger Riff may not like this period for sure....but to ignore it altogther isn't the thing to do in my opinion.....the rock may have not been there all the time but it was there and so was the cool !

Tits you mentioned in another post....
The "other" Elvis? Is that the one in those mad rhinestone suits with the bell-bottom pants? No sir, not for me. He was an imposter. I want the REAL Elvis.

Tits the real Elvis in my opinion,.... jumpsuit or not was still there right up to 72' at least.......

Aug 12 1970 M/S Las Vegas for example had it all Rock, Ballads, Country and more Rock...ernest once stated this was one of Elvis' Best shows and I will tell you I have to agree with him.....

going back a year to 69'....now come on man that was Rock n Roll all the way...with just a few stinkers thrown in...... :lol:

I personally get just as exicted listening to Elvis sing Hound Dog live in 56' as I would listening to him sing it in 68', 69, 70,71...72'now of course I understand and appreciate the differences....but man....Elvis is still Elvis during these periods.

Ger Riff I have a question for you....I know you went to go see Elvis in 76'......and in a lot of ways it was an disspointment for you.....

However you did stay an Elvis fan nonetheless....the question is.....

Did you get to see elvis at all before 76' and if you would have lets say seen him in either 69' or 70' ...Do you think you would have more of an apreciation for this period almost equal to the 50's that you love so much?

Would it have made a difference to you do you think?

Just curious?

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:40 am

PEP wrote:When I was 16 and I saw Elvis in March of 75' in Vegas as a 16 year old my expectations were high...the image was bigger then he was at the time...Because I expected so much more.

Very good post.

That's kind of the way I was when I first saw him in 1974. I thought I would see this wild man thrashing around the stage. However, it was definitely not the case. It was a mellowed Elvis Presley. I in no way felt let down though. The crowd was totally mesmerized by him and he totally left me wanting to see the show again and as often as possible. Unfortunately, I only saw him one more time, three years later. By then he had mellowed much more. A little too much more.

I saw him though and would not trade anything for the memories.

Two photos from the shows I attended.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:19 am

I know what you mean Rob about the memories....for you two times for me once.......

I wanted to see him again in 76' and it was very close for it happening for me.....but I can tell you I'm glad in one way it didn't happen.....
I think it would have maybe been the last nail in the coffin for me as far as being a fan....sad to say or at least the type of fan that I am today.

Yet I have recently heard all of these shows a few months ago from the last 76' season in Vegas and I didn't think over all the shows were all that bad.....but I think it it is more because Iam older now.....and I guess I appreciate more of what I'm listening too,......then when I was 16 expecting more out of Elvis, there is just no way i would have continued to accept what I would have been seeing or hearing coming from the King of Rock.

If anything I regret I wish I would have done what I wanted to do which was to go see the M/S in March of 75'
But my brother and cousin who I went with at the time didn't want to go back.....

They weren't impressed and expected more too.........

But the funny thing is this...seeing the CBS Special in 77' even tho he was in worst shape then he was in 75'..........and because of his passing it started all over for me again...as it did with a lot of people....
I can still watch this and sit back even tho Elvis isn't in the best of shape...watch it and still feel the charisma from this man and that has to say something.

I stayed up with the fan club magazines especially The Strictly Elvis Generation which helped keep some of the excitement there prior to his passing.....but in reality i think we were all fooling ourselves as to what Elvis should have really been at the age of 42'......the weight made him look so much older then he really was....as we know

At the same time, isn't it ironic I may say these things and others may say it too but the bottom line is, there still isn't anybody like Elvis!

In one way I would even want to be older than I am giving up a few years to have been able to at least been old enough to see Elvis anywhere from 69' to 72'.......
Lucky enough we now get to see Elvis who is still very much the rocker or at least the cool guy from the 70's footage which is pretty nice.
PEP 8)

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:07 pm

Great use of photos, Pep! And good to hear from you and Rob both "firsthand" about seeing the King in the '70s.

There's so much we'd all change about his career (think the '60s and '70s) but there's so much we'd lose, too.

I just find the punk rock / rock-'n' roll attitude to be a bit unbecoming, past, say 40 years old, if not earlier, as it is for me. Elvis' '70s maturity probably introduced a lot of us to "older" and more emotionally-deep songs - well before our time in most cases!

I'm glad Elvis tacked songs like "The Impossible Dream" or "American Trilogy" or "What Now My Love" and idolized Mario Lanza and Dean Martin.

That, too, is the real Elvis ! And most of us love that too! :smt020 :smt045

Thats the way it is- the best

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:48 pm

... Hot shots, Pep ! Love to comment, we had a great time with the King Creole topic, yesterday, didnt we?! Today isnt one of my better days [ health wise...] so hopefully tomorrow Im in better shape, and we can rock some more...?!

Re: Thats the way it is- the best

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:10 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Hot shots, Pep ! Love to comment, we had a great time with the King Creole topic, yesterday, didnt we?! Today isnt one of my better days [ health wise...] so hopefully tomorrow Im in better shape, and we can rock some more...?!

Get well soon Ger Rijff...sorry to hear your not feeling well....if you can put on a Elvis record it might help a little :smt111

PEP 8)

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:49 am

I'd like to go back to the original subject, if you don't mind. In other posts I have read that the mentioned dvds where dvd-rs and the sound was bad. I have bought these productions and they are real dvds and there are no problems with the sound. It isn't the ultimate bootleg-dvd, but nice to have.

:D

Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:11 am

dl wrote:I'd like to go back to the original subject, if you don't mind. In other posts I have read that the mentioned dvds where dvd-rs and the sound was bad. I have bought these productions and they are real dvds and there are no problems with the sound. It isn't the ultimate bootleg-dvd, but nice to have.

The original subject? Oh. I had forgotten all about that! Yes, they have to be real DVD's. I have watched the entire Volume 1 now and the sound problems I talked about seem to come and go a little on my copy. It doesn't bother me too much, though. After all, this is underground material. I'm trying to be 100% thankful that I have seen it at all.

Hopefully we'll see more and more DVD bootlegs in the future.

Ger, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Get well soon!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:20 pm

Yes, I"m still inclined to buy those DVDs, given the source.

I really would appreciate more insights on them from other people, especially since we got off track there.

P.S. feel better, Ger!