Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

THAT’S THE WAY IT IS - THE BEST OF THE OUTTAKES VOL.1 &

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 pm

has anyone seen these DVD's yet? Id be interested to know the quality with regards to picture, editing, content, and packaging etc? As there are becoming so many different versions of this stuff lately. It seems that everyone is cashing in on us Elvis fans. Are these 2 DVD's better than whats out there. Comments would be apreciated. Thanks.


PS: Is Elvis someone we all love or someone we can make money out of?

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:04 am

Jasper, you admit there is so many variations out there , which there is, and then you ask us to comment on a package that happens to be one of these variations.

how could anyone possibly know because even if they had a 2 DVD set hwo would they know if it was the same one you're asking about ?

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:29 am

Hi Jasper. I ordered this set last week and I expect it to arrive within a day or two. I'll post my impressions here later.

I have no problem with people making money on this material or any other bootleg stuff as long as it's done well, as long as they put some work and dedication into the product. Like I said, I haven't seen these sets yet, but at least the packaging looks fabulous and it's not (I hope!) some cheap DVD-R set either. So, I don't know if it the best quality available but at least it doesn't look like a cheap, homemade rip-off release.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:24 pm

Keith how do you know its the same variation out of the many Jasper says there are ?

Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:58 pm

Steve_M wrote:Keith how do you know its the same variation out of the many Jasper says there are ?


Well, I took it for granted that he's talking about the DVD's that popped up on the Import News page on this MB a couple of days ago.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:59 pm

I watched this a couple of weeks ago........unless there are many version with the same title/cover and playing time.
However the dvd version I saw was pretty bad......
It was obviously recorded from a better/master dvd to vhs and then back to pc/dvd recorder to make the quality worse.
The only good thing was the editing work.....both picture and especially the sound.
No idea if this is the same I saw or the "master" one

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:09 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Steve_M wrote:Keith how do you know its the same variation out of the many Jasper says there are ?


Well, I took it for granted that he's talking about the DVD's that popped up on the Import News page on this MB a couple of days ago.

Keith Richards, Jr.


Oh I see, well i didn't as you can tell as i thought it would have been just as easy to say (and almost necessary lol) after Jasper himself noted the amount of different versions about.

I'm not sure they are one and the same at all.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:46 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Steve_M wrote:Keith how do you know its the same variation out of the many Jasper says there are ?


Well, I took it for granted that he's talking about the DVD's that popped up on the Import News page on this MB a couple of days ago.

Keith Richards, Jr.


Oh I see, well i didn't as you can tell as i thought it would have been just as easy to say (and almost necessary lol) after Jasper himself noted the amount of different versions about.

I'm not sure they are one and the same at all.


You could be right. After all, the TTWII material is in such a mess that anything is possible! :D All I know for sure is that I have ordered the two DVD's on the Import News page!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: THAT’S THE WAY IT IS - THE BEST OF THE OUTTAKES VOL.1 &a

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:07 pm

jasper wrote:has anyone seen these DVD's yet? Id be interested to know the quality with regards to picture, editing, content, and packaging etc? As there are becoming so many different versions of this stuff lately. It seems that everyone is cashing in on us Elvis fans. Are these 2 DVD's better than whats out there. Comments would be apreciated. Thanks.


PS: Is Elvis someone we all love or someone we can make money out of?



Have you tried downloading some clips from the Elvis World Japan website ? They've got some of the best quality TTWII outtake footage.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Okay, I've got the DVD's now!

:smt030 :smt030 :smt030

I haven't seen one single TTWII outtake before except for the high quality stuff that Steve and Elvis World Japan have given us. I didn't bother with those DVD-R sets on eBay because a) I don't like homemade rip-offs, and b) I figurered that Mr. Bootlegger would take care of it sooner or later anyway. This means that I can't compare the quality and material on these DVD's to the stuff that everybody else have. It also means that my impressions shouldn't be taken as gospel. I sure ain't no expert on this! However, I can tell you the following...

The artwork is very nice, and these are real DVD's. In fact, the mere sight of these two beauties got me so excited that I brought out a bottle of whiskey to celebrate (yet another reason not to take this "review" too seriously...). Then I pressed play. Like I said, I haven't seen / heard the other TTWII releases, but on this one there is a faint but quite irritating high-pitched sound that runs throughout the whole thing. You don't notice it too much when the whole band joins in, but it's very audiable when EP and the band are talking or when they're playing a soft song, you know. Another thing worth mentioning is that the stuff with "PROP. OF TURNER ENT." on it look much worse than the other stuff. It has a computer made feel about it.

Apart from that, this is heaven! I haven't seen everything yet - after all, these DVD's run for 5 hours or something - but I am very impressed so far. The quality is better than I expected, and there are no dull moments; it's all edited very well. I know everyone here has been enjoying these outtakes for months now so I ain't gonna bore you with my impressions. Let me just state that I prefer this set to the 3 DVD '68 special and that everyone who haven't seen / heard this stuff should pick up these DVD's. A fantastic release!

I also adore the little note that can be found on both DVD's: "NOTE: Federal Law provides severe civil and criminal penalities for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or exhibition of copyrighted motion and video discs. (c) 2005 All Rights Reserved." Hilarious! :lol:

God bless the bootleggers!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:08 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:"NOTE: Federal Law provides severe civil and criminal penalities for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or exhibition of copyrighted motion and video discs. (c) 2005 All Rights Reserved."


That was a pretty good joke.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:09 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:God bless the bootleggers!

Keith Richards, Jr.


And what a year it's been...

God bless them...Everyone of them! :lol:

So are these the ones? This is from the news section and appear to be "the one to get."
Image
Image

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:23 pm

Yeah, those are the ones I'm talking about, Greg. I've watched some more stuff now and feel I have to add three things.

1) "Patch It Up" from the opening show does feature that unbelievable ending but it's filmed from another angle and has't got the same impact as the version found on Elvis World Japan (I think it was). Shame that.

2) The tracks are messed up. For example, if you want to access what's listed as track 28 on volume 2 you have to press 15 on your remote control. This makes it a bit of a struggle to find what you want. :D

3) Not all the stuff with "PROPERTY OF TURNER ENT." on it looks bad.

EDIT: And it's no wonder EP got bored of playing Las Vegas. Just look at the audience at the August 14th show, filmed from behind the stage. Most of them look like they're gonna fall asleep at any minute. In fact, some of them look like they're sleeping already! Amazing! :shock: It must have felt VERY weird for EP to put on a high-energy rock'n'roll show in front of these boring old losers.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:31 am

Hi Keith,

Do both dvd's feature sound on all the footage ? And also, do they only contain stuff not seen in the official TTWII dvd (both old/new version) ?

I recently got a dvd called "Hampton Road April 14 1972" and feel pretty ripped off - 95% of the dvd was ripped from official released stuff (On tour, lost performances and This is Elvis) edited badly together. It was a dvd-r and not a real dvd.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:44 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Okay, I've got the DVD's now!

:smt030 :smt030 :smt030

I haven't seen one single TTWII outtake before except for the high quality stuff that Steve and Elvis World Japan have given us. I didn't bother with those DVD-R sets on eBay because a) I don't like homemade rip-offs, and b) I figurered that Mr. Bootlegger would take care of it sooner or later anyway. This means that I can't compare the quality and material on these DVD's to the stuff that everybody else have. It also means that my impressions shouldn't be taken as gospel. I sure ain't no expert on this! However, I can tell you the following...

The artwork is very nice, and these are real DVD's. In fact, the mere sight of these two beauties got me so excited that I brought out a bottle of whiskey to celebrate (yet another reason not to take this "review" too seriously...). Then I pressed play. Like I said, I haven't seen / heard the other TTWII releases, but on this one there is a faint but quite irritating high-pitched sound that runs throughout the whole thing. You don't notice it too much when the whole band joins in, but it's very audiable when EP and the band are talking or when they're playing a soft song, you know. Another thing worth mentioning is that the stuff with "PROP. OF TURNER ENT." on it look much worse than the other stuff. It has a computer made feel about it.

Apart from that, this is heaven! I haven't seen everything yet - after all, these DVD's run for 5 hours or something - but I am very impressed so far. The quality is better than I expected, and there are no dull moments; it's all edited very well. I know everyone here has been enjoying these outtakes for months now so I ain't gonna bore you with my impressions. Let me just state that I prefer this set to the 3 DVD '68 special and that everyone who haven't seen / heard this stuff should pick up these DVD's. A fantastic release!

I also adore the little note that can be found on both DVD's: "NOTE: Federal Law provides severe civil and criminal penalities for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or exhibition of copyrighted motion and video discs. (c) 2005 All Rights Reserved." Hilarious! :lol:

God bless the bootleggers!

Keith Richards, Jr.



From what I've been told from others that got this particular set, they're NOT silver factory pressed DVD's but are DVD-R's.....on on top of that the quality is no better than the homemade UK crap being sold on Ebay. You're still much better off downloading the quality footage from Steve M's website or Elvis World Japan....heck even the binary ng's might have some of the footage.

Re: THAT’S THE WAY IT IS - THE BEST OF THE OUTTAKES VOL.1 &a

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:15 am

moodyblue1 wrote:Have you tried downloading some clips from the Elvis World Japan website ? They've got some of the best quality TTWII outtake footage.


Most of the clips featured have been removed and replaced with "that weeks" clips.
However, I'm surprised you felt the quality was able to be called "best".

Mike DK wrote:I recently got a dvd called "Hampton Road April 14 1972" and feel pretty ripped off - 95% of the dvd was ripped from official released stuff (On tour, lost performances and This is Elvis) edited badly together. It was a dvd-r and not a real dvd.


You should be entirely ripped off 100% as april 14th 1972 was Greesnboro and not Hampton roads at all. :lol:

However, don't feel too ripped off just because you got some stuff you've already seen.
To me this is the best way to showcase all that shows material - together - just as it was performed.
I'm not sure if you have Hampton or Greensboro now, but I managed to do a DVD-R of Greesnboro because I just like that particular show and I too put everything from all available sources onto it in chronological order of performance. Many fans want completeness in that format, maybe those that sold you the DVD were thinking along the same lines.

As a christmas present I might be putting all of that on lineas one file. The quality will be above normal for the internet, all angles where more than one exist are montaged together so literally nothing is lost and the sound is taken from the import soundboard and synched up.

I recently bought a DVD dual Layer writer which will enable me to create full bit rate length DVD's soon so I dunno what I'll do with that :wink:
Last edited by Steve_M on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:05 am

Hi Steve_M,

Thanks much for your reply and date correction :oops:

I understand what you mean - it's just that only 2 performances were new (not released officially)..... I was kinda expecting more new stuff.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:41 am

moodyblue1 wrote:From what I've been told from others that got this particular set, they're NOT silver factory pressed DVD's but are DVD-R's.....on on top of that the quality is no better than the homemade UK crap being sold on Ebay. You're still much better off downloading the quality footage from Steve M's website or Elvis World Japan....heck even the binary ng's might have some of the footage.


Doh!! :smt013

They look like real, factory made DVD's to me but I could be wrong. It's possible. If they are DVD-R's [how can I tell?] I will break down and cry. :cry:

The "menu" is ridiculous, it looks cheap and homemade, and like I said there is a high-pitched sound which doesn't seem to come from the source material, because it's there even when there is no other sound. It seems like a mistake to me. So, in short, I am happy to finally have this material edited together like this (no dull moments, it's all very watchable) and the artwork is fantastic but that high-pitched sound bugs me a little and the menu could've been better.

Yes, Steve is the man. His stuff is the best. I have some of his stuff on my computer but I prefer "the real thing", and that's why I bought this set. I don't own single CD-R either, and I have never downloaded an EP concert. I always buy the original CD. I'm stupid and old-fashioned but that's the way it is! Another reason is that I want to support FTD and the bootleggers.

Hi Mike DK, I can't answer your question because I haven't seen the whole thing yet - only about 1,5 hours. There have been no silent moments yet.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thats the way it is- the best

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:19 am

... Keith, your comments on August 14 are very similair to a 1971 review on TTWII in a somewhat underground Dutch music weekly. After the journalist had witnessed the premiere, here in Amsterdam, he concluded Elvis, by playing in front of Purple hair- do middle aged American ladies in Vegas, had sold out for good. This was the general feel among the youngsters here. It was in part the start of not taking Elvis too serious anymore... Remember, Vegas, in the 70s, was about the most uncool place to perform. It was Sinatra ground, not Rockers teritory! Thank god, Elvis took notice, and only stayed in Vegas 8 [ eight !!!] years...

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:57 am

Las Vegas was considered to be lame back then? I didn't know that. Sin City fascinates me a lot. It's a fantastic place. The again, I love just about everytihng that is American! But a quick look at the audience always tells me that Elvis must have felt uncomfortable there.

However, I don't agree with people who claim that EP would've been much happier and that he would've lived much longer if he had toured the world. The fact is that EP got bored of everything sooner or later. Australia would've bored him. Japan would've bored him. Even Sweden would've bored him! I don't think anything could have saved Elvis.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thats the way it is- the best

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:59 pm

... Vegas in the 60s & 70s was indeed the place not to be. Then, it went synonemess with boring music from the scoobeedoobeedo Sinatra & Co entertainers of yesteryear. Creedence, the Who or Stones didnt show up there... They would have been stopped by the Godfather and his Family anyway! Kill them deleted - see guidelines #2 Hippies, make way for the great Tony scoobeedo Bennet ! As Frank Zappa once said about Vegas, and Vegas- like nightclubs: "America drinks, and goes home..." I wasnt a hippy back then. But still very much into the music and popculture of the time. By signing the Vegas contract, Elvis stepped over the line from pretty cool [ 68 show, Memphis album, etc ] into the world of boring middle aged America hanging over gambling tables, and getting slushed... And we know how his Vegas adventure ended in the winter of 76...

Thats the way it is- the best

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:05 pm

... Awww, jesus rock n roll christ on a Harley!!! Deleting a word such as g****mn is so out of time! Its 2005, not 1905...

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:15 pm

Take it up with the default dictionary word listing that comes with phpbb.

Now Christ on a Harley (other brands of religion and bike are available), that's okay, but no way can you say deleted - see guidelines #2 :lol:

Re: Thats the way it is- the best

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:05 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Vegas in the 60s & 70s was indeed the place not to be. Then, it went synonemess with boring music from the scoobeedoobeedo Sinatra & Co entertainers of yesteryear. Creedence, the Who or Stones didnt show up there... They would have been stopped by the Godfather and his Family anyway! Kill them deleted - see guidelines #2 Hippies, make way for the great Tony scoobeedo Bennet ! As Frank Zappa once said about Vegas, and Vegas- like nightclubs: "America drinks, and goes home..." I wasnt a hippy back then. But still very much into the music and popculture of the time. By signing the Vegas contract, Elvis stepped over the line from pretty cool [ 68 show, Memphis album, etc ] into the world of boring middle aged America hanging over gambling tables, and getting slushed... And we know how his Vegas adventure ended in the winter of 76...


It's always interesting to hear from those who "were there" so thanks Ger.

Still, as time has passed, I'm less disdainful of acts like Sinatra or Tony Bennett. That was the big time back then and I'd love to see it today but can't. I love blues, R&B, rockabilly but don't buy into the notion that a Sammy Davis was not worth seeing. There are generational blinders / biases in play here so I take it all with a grain of salt.

I agree Elvis should have moved on from Vegas. But I disagree with the notion that Elvis would have been bored in Europe, Japan, etc. He might have lived longer and at least had more triumphs.

And, hey, Keith, now I"m really confused about whether to get the above DVD-R or DVD! I agree that Steve's ELVISCRAWLER is tops, but I need to kick back and play it on my TV. What's the best option, folks?
That is, what is the best TWWII outtake DVD set?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:39 pm

Elvis should never have gone to Vegas in the first place. It just wasn't his audience. And talk about uncool...yikes! Sinatra, Bennett et al were the top attractions and now it's Elton John and Celene Dion. Nothing changes.

sh*t middle of the road garbage.

Putting Elvis in Vegas was quick money for Parker. Just like the crappy movies were. Lazy and easy. If only Elvis had had the balls to say no.