original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic


Topic author
eap101
Posts: 15
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by eap101 »

Vinyl experts , can you help me ?
How do i recognise a genuine original copy of THATS ALRIGHT ?
Is there a number on the vinyl ? Are all copies numbered differently , or is it the same number on all copies ?

thanks
EAP101



Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Use the search on here and if I recall correctly unclef and one or two others posted the number sequences that should be on originals.



Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

There are over 37 label variations on Sun!!! Sometimes the catalog number is on the left side of the label instead of at the bottom. And under ELVIS PRESLEY there are two variations. Scotty and Bill or Scotty & Bill. They were pressed in Memphis and Los Angeles. All 5 singles from Memphis are "first pressings" . Los Angeles has 2 "first pressings" 217 and 223. Although the Los Angeles "2nd pressings" are rarer because of smaller print run in 1955! The Memphis for obvious reasons are the most sought after. The Los Angeles pressings have a delta,or triangle etched into the trail-off vinyl and the memphis pressings (earlier) have push-marks. These markings are three circles in a triangle pattern. Both the delta and push-marks are not known to have been reproduced. I will post an example of a legit THAT'S ALL RIGHT MAMA with catalogue number on the left side of label instead of the more common bottom.



Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Image



Juan Luis

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by Juan Luis »

eap101 wrote:Vinyl experts , can you help me ?
How do i recognise a genuine original copy of THATS ALRIGHT ?
Is there a number on the vinyl ? Are all copies numbered differently , or is it the same number on all copies ?

thanks
EAP101
Sorry did not answer the most simple question. That's All Right was and will be always SUN 209. That goes for the other 4 Sun singles and their respective catalog numbers. That is my non-expert view or opinion.



Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Hey that's some good info JLGB, but do you know what the trail off area numbers were that were used ?



Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks. But I haven't gotten into that yet! :)



Topic author
eap101
Posts: 15
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

thanks guys

Post by eap101 »

Thanks for your replies guys.

Should there be a serial number on the vinyl ? if so , where should it be , and what should the number be ?

EAP101



Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

With the markings like the push-marks which developed when the vinyl was still soft and the delta markings, you cannot go wrong in my opinion. For more information try to get the book A TOUCH OF GOLD by Neal Umphred which is excellent and has many details of all Elvis records. So many variations that you will get a good headache! :lol:



neal umphred

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by neal umphred »

JUAN

Just stumbled over this forum. Thanks for the kind words regarding A TOUCH OF GOLD. One of the easiest ways to discern a real Sun from a fake is its condition: most Suns in VG or less condition are real; most that are NM or better, are not.

Hope this helps!

NEAL


User avatar

KevinK
Posts: 1497
Registered for: 18 years 2 months
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Age: 44

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by KevinK »

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I've been looking for a Sun original for a while now aswell.
Where do 78s stand in the overall picture? Should there be push marks on these also, and which was the more common on the sun label, 45 or 78..?

Kev.



Juan Luis

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by Juan Luis »

nealumphred wrote:JUAN

Just stumbled over this forum. Thanks for the kind words regarding A TOUCH OF GOLD. One of the easiest ways to discern a real Sun from a fake is its condition: most Suns in VG or less condition are real; most that are NM or better, are not.

Hope this helps!

NEAL
Thank you sir! Sorry for tardiness.Just saw this as I know this might help a current thread. Best,JL


User avatar

PEP
Posts: 4602
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re:

Post by PEP »

Juan Luis wrote:There are over 37 label variations on Sun!!! Sometimes the catalog number is on the left side of the label instead of at the bottom. And under ELVIS PRESLEY there are two variations. Scotty and Bill or Scotty & Bill. They were pressed in Memphis and Los Angeles. All 5 singles from Memphis are "first pressings" . Los Angeles has 2 "first pressings" 217 and 223. Although the Los Angeles "2nd pressings" are rarer because of smaller print run in 1955! The Memphis for obvious reasons are the most sought after. The Los Angeles pressings have a delta,or triangle etched into the trail-off vinyl and the memphis pressings (earlier) have push-marks. These markings are three circles in a triangle pattern. Both the delta and push-marks are not known to have been reproduced. I will post an example of a legit THAT'S ALL RIGHT MAMA with catalogue number on the left side of label instead of the more common bottom.
Hmm interesting, I wouldn't have never thought that there would have been that many different variations for the small run I thought SUN had for Elvis.
Image
Juan Luis I'm curious how did you know what you knew?



PEP 8)



Juan Luis

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by Juan Luis »

PEP I was a pretty big EP vinyl (USA only) collector. I still have close to 99% of 1954-1977 complete collection of 45s,LPs and EP's. Mostly near mint condition except 5 Sun's VG more or less condition. It has been years..so that is reason I stated was. To answer fully your question. I learned about the SUNs from Paul Dowling plus the book by Neil Umphred. I surprised myself re-reading my old post... LOL!



Juan Luis

Re:

Post by Juan Luis »

Juan Luis wrote:Image
Btw..that is MY SUN! 8) :) :D



Juan Luis

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by Juan Luis »

KevinK wrote:Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I've been looking for a Sun original for a while now aswell.
Where do 78s stand in the overall picture? Should there be push marks on these also, and which was the more common on the sun label, 45 or 78..?

Kev.
To try to answer an old question cause a friend asked me on another site about the Sun's. I have no idea cause I live overseas and 78's are so brittle no matter how good you pack them they can shatter easily. The only ones I have (not EP) are from my mom's collection. Maybe Neil can chime in if he is around these parts.


User avatar

JimmyCool
Posts: 5012
Registered for: 13 years 9 months
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
Mood:
Has thanked: 1001 times
Been thanked: 1139 times

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by JimmyCool »

2005 was such a good year... :D


Note: This post is for readers of the FECC forum only. Permission to copy this post elsewhere is not granted.
User avatar

REBL
Posts: 398
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by REBL »



We call it 'Lying'..... Advertisers and politicians call it 'Creative Thinking'; So what is this teaching our kids, and grandkids?
User avatar

billyblues
Posts: 1917
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Location: Down in the alley
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 243 times
Age: 32

Re: original SUN records - how can i tell ?

Post by billyblues »

JimmyCool wrote:2005 was such a good year... :D
Well, in all fairness, the last post is from 2008!


Thank you, Blue River.