Memories bass line

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Matthew

Memories bass line

Post by Matthew »

Anyone notice that apart from the intro the bassline in this track is the same note all the way through? Kinda odd if you ask me.

Chicago-Mike

Post by Chicago-Mike »

Matthew,

Interesting you bring this up. My favorite version of Memories is on Live At The International and it's the bass line that makes it great (if you can get past the smacks in beginning). Jerry and the guys really give the song a great funky feel for the last few bars. It's only a few seconds, but it's really cool and I haven't heard this more funkified ending on any other version.

What you think I am...dum...dee...dum

minkahed

Re: Memories bass line

Post by minkahed »

Matthew wrote:Anyone notice that apart from the intro the bassline in this track is the same note all the way through? Kinda odd if you ask me.
yes, I actually noticed that years ago when I first bought my Fender bass and was learning to play multiple Elvis songs...

The acoustic guitar is much more appealing if u ask me :wink:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Matthew wrote:Anyone notice that apart from the intro the bassline in this track is the same note all the way through? Kinda odd if you ask me.
Given that Larry Knechtel, one of the great session bassists of all time, is playing, the simplicity is quite intentional. And it perfectly complements the melancholy nature of the Mac Davis song. A later interview with session guitarist Tommy Tedesco, he's behind that delicate acoustic, notes how the song brought a few tears, as some of them were going through painful divorces at the time.

Incidentally, the live 1969 arrangement actually destroys the fragile beauty of the June 1968 studio classic. It's no wonder the song was dropped after that debut season in Las Vegas.

DJC

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Many early Vegas songs were dropped after only a very short time.
Memories
Don't Cry Daddy
In The Ghetto
Kentucky Rain
Let It Be Me
Walk A Mile In My Shoes
Words
Just Pretend
(performed a few times later on)

and so on.

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Incidentally, the live 1969 arrangement actually destroys the fragile beauty of the June 1968 studio classic. It's no wonder the song was dropped after that debut season in Las Vegas.DJC
I agree 100%! I don´t think they ever did this song justice after the ´68 Comeback.

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

MB -

You wrote [about 'Memories']:
I agree 100%! I don´t think they ever did this song justice after the ´68 Comeback.
Oh, I don't know.................

There's that 24th July, 1970, rehearsal version with all the animal noises !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

ColinB wrote:MB -

You wrote [about 'Memories']:
Oh, I don't know.................

There's that 24th July, 1970, rehearsal version with all the animal noises !

Now THAT's a Classic :!:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth